Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: So Confussed, Please help

Default So Confussed, Please help
    Ok so last night I decided to jailbreak my iPhone 3G. I downloaded all the right stuff and it worked beautifully until I tried to use the "phone" button. Nothing there, it launched fine but I couldn't press any of the menu icons or any numbers. I Googled this problem and found the solution to restore my iPhone, so I did. I now have my iPhone back to its original state.
    I tried to jailbreak my iPhone again, everything still on my computer and complete all the steps, see the little pineapple guy, checked the Cydia and Installer boxers, I don't want the 'pineapple' logos so I left that alone. Everything ran smoothly. My iPhone reboots the only thing is it never asked me to conect it back to iTunes like it did last night. So i unlock my phone, flip through the pages, see the Cydia icon but no Installer icon. So i restore my phone again and repeat all the necessary steps, samething.
    So i come here to ask if anyone knows what I might be doing wrong. I did on my first jailbroken phone have the 'Categories' and moved Cydia and Installer there and never took them out before I restored my phone, but then why would Cydia show up and no Installer. Any ideas or should I just forget about jailbreaking my iPhone

Thanks

Did you set the phone up as a new phone after installing your custom ipsw?

BTW....Welcome to MMi!!
    Last edited by Zwayne; 2009-06-06 at 04:48 AM.

1st welcome to MMi
    2nd you really don't need or want installer, it will create more problems then you can imagine.
    3rd Try again, this time when it asks you if you want to restore from a backup or set up as new...set up as new
    report back

OK i am restoring my phone to an earlier backup today. How do i set it as a new phone and if I do that will i loose all my contacts??, If i am going to loose all my contacts is there a program i can sync them to and then send them back to my iPhone?

I'm not a pc guy, but you should have all your contacts and stuff on your computer, for just in case moments...
    Anybody?

Thanks

When you finished installing the custom ipsw....itunes should ask you if you want to setup as a new phone or from a backup. Go with new phone and then use itunes to sync back your email, contacts, music, apps.

Not all my contacts are in my email ect. I don't care about the music or photos just all my friends numbers and personal info i have saved in their contact field. Any idea how to get them out the file they are back up in and move to my desktop or something, or do i need to write down everything I have for each one of my contacts??

*never mind I just sync'd everything into my gmail contacts so i an good to go and restore as a new phone

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    1st welcome to MMi
    2nd you really don't need or want installer, it will create more problems then you can imagine.
    3rd Try again, this time when it asks you if you want to restore from a backup or set up as new...set up as new
    report back
    So I really do not need installer as long as Cydia is there I can still add everything I can every imagine without Installer?
    Last edited by Big_baloo; 2009-06-06 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big_baloo View Post
    Not all my contacts are in my email ect. I don't care about the music or photos just all my friends numbers and personal info i have saved in their contact field. Any idea how to get them out the file they are back up in and move to my desktop or something, or do i need to write down everything I have for each one of my contacts??

*never mind I just sync'd everything into my gmail contacts so i an good to go and restore as a new phone

So I really do not need installer as long as Cydia is there I can still add everything I can every imagine without Installer?
    ^^^Yes....installer is dead.

meh... installer is owned and controlled my RipDev now. Trust me you don't want it... RipDev = restore
    Cydia and the appstore is all you need

Thank you both very very much. I was almost pulling my hair out. I will be on here a lot looking for advice for this and that. I am new to this whole this so thanks for being patient with me

anytime you came to the right place. Welcome to the community

OK 1 more thing. I restored my phone as a new phone but it is syncing all the applications I had before i restored it?? Any idea how to clear out that box on iTunes to show nothing??

uncheck the sync application box in iTunes

I am such a noob

lol, hey I had 6 post once

Thanks

That's what we are here for. Enjoy your stay here.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^^ The first minute of your first day

Ok sorry again but I unchecked sync applications tab and the box where all the applications go is still full. I want to start completely over with nothing, I don't want them just grey'd out, any idea how to completely remove them or are they tied to my SIM card??

Thanks

You can go into library, applications and high light the one you want to delete right click it should ask you if you want to delete the app or not.