Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 2g - pwnage works - itunes can't find 'ipod'

Default iphone 2g - pwnage works - itunes can't find 'ipod'
    I go through the whole pwnage process and everything works just fine until i put it into DFN mode. As soon as that completes, itunes boots up and says that it can't find the 'ipod' and then nothing shows up... I'm then able to restart my phone. Any ideas?

I had pwnage on my old phone, but then I broke it and got a refurb from apple. After I backed it up from itunes, it somehow kept pwnage on there and just a few things were saved, but most of the downloaded apps have been 'hidden.' I also downoaded 'categories' and put most of the original icons into one of them (calc, etc) and now they're hidden as well...

Is there a way to reverse the pwnage process? 'unpwn my phone' by any chance? or a way to fix this? Trying to download pwnage again obviously isnt working, although I used the same computer for the successful attempts, and now the unsuccessful.

Thanks

Restore and make sure the phone is in DFU mode (the screen will be blank). Use pwnagetool to build a custom ipsw. Setup as a new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    Restore and make sure the phone is in DFU mode (the screen will be blank). Use pwnagetool to build a custom ipsw. Setup as a new phone.
    Put the phone in DFU mode and Then use pwnagetool? isnt that backwards? I do everything the program says, but as soon as it enters, itunes pops up not finding an iphone at all, says 'cannot find ipod.' Or do I need to wipe the phone clean completely (i.e. new phone) and then try pwnage? I would rather not lose all my sms and contacts though....

Thanks

You need to restore first of all. Then use pwnagetool to build a custom ipsw. Then put the phone in DFU mode and install the custom ipsw by itunes. Try a different usb port & or cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    You need to restore first of all. Then use pwnagetool to build a custom ipsw. Then put the phone in DFU mode and install the custom ipsw by itunes. Try a different usb port & or cable.
    I appreciate you're help but I dont think I'm understanding you. Do I need to restoreto the 'back up' my computer has - or to a new phone? If i restore to a new phone then am I losing everything on my phone(contacts,sim,notes, etc)

After I do that do I run through the entire pwnage process again? (Yes, I've seen 'building ipsw' ) And how do I install the ipsw through itunes? Sorry. all this stuff is new to me. Thanks for your help in advance.

bump.

Still no success on this... any ideas?

Alright, let's start from fresh. What is your requirement, do you want to keep your valuable data (contacts, SMS.etc)?. If you want to do that, then you need to:
    1. Put the phone in DFU mode, restore to latest 3.0. Restore/Sync all you data if successful. This process backups all your valuable data.
    2. Jailbreak/Unlock phone using Pwnage Tool v3.0 or use redsn0w to jailbreak and then unlock using ultrasn0w.

Are you using a PC or a MAC?

Quote Originally Posted by albrevng View Post
    Alright, let's start from fresh. What is your requirement, do you want to keep your valuable data (contacts, SMS.etc)?. If you want to do that, then you need to:
    1. Put the phone in DFU mode, restore to latest 3.0. Restore/Sync all you data if successful. This process backups all your valuable data.
    2. Jailbreak/Unlock phone using Pwnage Tool v3.0 or use redsn0w to jailbreak and then unlock using ultrasn0w.

Are you using a PC or a MAC?
    Thanks for your help! I'm using a Mac. I would ultimately like to have my phone unlocked so I can customize it...but I am willing to deal with the raw, completely stock version as well. This in-between nonsense is drivin me nuts!

I understand what you're saying about Restoring/Syncing all of my date, but some of the random apps from Pwnage are still mysteriously stored under my backup. Categories, Service Name Changer, etc.

Anytime I put it in DFN mode, itunes pops up with 'cannot find 'ipod', and then nothing. I have to hold both power and home buttons for 10-15 seconds before the apple symbol pops up, and nothing has been changed.

Sorry if I'm running in circles here.