Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone jailbreak on mac using pwnage??????

Default Iphone jailbreak on mac using pwnage??????
    I have read and viewed youtube how to jailbreak 3g and have few questions before I begin my attempt.

I have macbook running 10.56 and a 3g iphone running 2.2 and modem 2.28.

I want to update to 2.21 and keep my modem on 2.28 for unlock.

????? The questions I have are : If I download the 2.21 file to use as future restore ...won't that have the new 2.30 modem? Which will then mean I can not use yellowsn0w in the future even if I have done the custom 2.21 install first ? So should I keep my 2.2 with 2.28 as is and jail break?

????? I also saw that there are a 1st gen 2.21 and saw on a youtube file there is a 2.21 3g which is
    same file with the letter "a" at the end. I have tried to find it at apple but cannot seem to find it to verify before I proceed.

This makes me wonder if these 2 things have been over looked and can explain why so many have issues jailbreaking and unlocking. Dfu seems to also be the next issue for 10.56.

Thanks for your opinions in helping me clear my confusion.

Thanks

10.5.6 and DFU - easy fix is to use a powered USB hub

Pwnage 2.2.1 and keeping unlock, DOwnload the 2.2.1 firmware and open Pwnage create custom 2.2.1 firmware and make sure you check off unlock. Use the custom firmware and use that to restore in iTunes. You will have and upgraded 2.2.1 with the 2.28 baseband.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

turboiphone (2009-04-09)

bhz1 thanks

So when I generate the custom from 2.2.1, I should then delete the original restore 2.2.1 to make sure I don't
    ever use the 2.2.1 restore? If i have problems with custom 2.2.1 and have to use the original downloaded itunes file will that have the 2.30 modem?

What about the 5H11(1st gen) or 5H11a(3g) file to download? have you seen the 3g file ? Are they the same or was it a youtube blunder?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turboiphone View Post
    bhz1 thanks

So when I generate the custom from 2.2.1, I should then delete the original restore 2.2.1 to make sure I don't
    ever use the 2.2.1 restore? If i have problems with custom 2.2.1 and have to use the original downloaded itunes file will that have the 2.30 modem?

What about the 5H11(1st gen) or 5H11a(3g) file to download? have you seen the 3g file ? Are they the same or was it a youtube blunder?
    Its up to you wether you delete the original restore file. You can tell the difference because Pwnage will name the file as "custom restore". For example, the stock firmware for a 2G iPhone is iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw. A Pwnage made cusotm firmware would be named Phone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Custom_Restore.ipsw. The file you saw with the 5H11a was probably a custom firmware that was renamed. You can rename your custom firmware to anything you want, but I generally leave them named just as Pwnage creates them. The main distinction between a 2G and 3G firmware is that 2G firmware are named iPhone1,1_....and the 3G firmware are named iPhone,1,2_......

If you ever did restore with the stock 2.2.1 firmware it would upgrade your modem to 2.30 so until there is an unlock, you probably do not want to do that.