Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock to another AT&T or only to another carrier?

Default [SOLVED] Unlock to another AT&T or only to another carrier?
    Hi, quick question (hopefully quick answer too ) when I unlock my (originally AT&T) 2G iPhone (on 2.2.1.) with QuickPwn, does it only allow me to use other carriers (like t-mobile, O2 etc...) or could I even use other (non iphone) AT&T sim cards?

(I'm asking because I tried unlocking my iPhone with another AT&T sim inside, and it just brought me to the "Dial emergency number" pad.... so is that normal?)

Thanks!
    Last edited by scrollup; 2009-02-27 at 01:36 AM.

1. yes the unlock will work with other sim cards
    2. no that's not normal. Try restarting you iPhone. If that doesn't work then you may need to do it over.

Thanks Broomhead for your fast reply.

I suspected so.

But I even tried doing the QuickPwn over again, just checking "Unlock" and the results didn't change (emergency dial pad). I believe I did correct since I do have the Cydia and installer apps... is there anything you can advise?

Thanks a ton!

how do you know if cydia or installer is there? Does this message only come up when you access the phone app? if so then try inserting a sim card.

Well, I was able to access the iPhone apps with the original AT&T sim card, so I noticed that Cydia and installer were there and I was able to access them. Only when I tried my friends sim card (to test if it was unlocked) that's when I only got the emergency dial pad, and a message about inserting the wrong sim card... and I did have my friend's sim card inserted at the time of Pawnage...

Any advise is really appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by scrollup; 2009-02-24 at 01:10 AM. Reason: first time written in a hurry, re-wrote for clarity

Default Solution
    After much research I've discovered my problem, and I'm sure others have the same: If you've been using AT&T before you've decided to unlock it then the unlocking will not work unless you do follow this step:
    • Remove current SIM card (leave it empty, so that you can still access iTunes) then re-update to 2.2.1 (shift-click "check for updates" and navigate to the firmware), now close itunes and all apple / iTunes related processes. Run QuickPwn with the SIM card you wish to use inserted.

The secret behind this from what I understand, is that since your iPhone is associated with the AT&T SIM card it won't unlock. Only by re-updating it, does it clear it's association and right away you can unlock it. If you were to insert the AT&T SIM card before unlocking and connect to iTunes, the unlock wouldn't work!