Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Putting iPhone in DFU on MacBook

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Putting iPhone in DFU on MacBook
    I understand the issues surrounding putting the iPhone into DFU mode on the iMac. I have been unable to do so using several various tricks explained in this forum.

How about on a MacBook?

Is it easier to enter DFU mode on a MacBook? Are the issues with USB ports the same on the MacBook?

Also, I have a new phone with the latest firmware. Does the newest PWNage software jailbreak a new iPhone 3G with the newest firmware out of the box?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Jon

Thanks

If the MacBook is 10.5.6, you have to run a script to re-enable DFU mode. Search it on here and you'll find it. And yeah, the newest Pwnage will jailbreak 2.2.1.
    Respect your elders.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ALL DAY For This Useful Post:

JHoffy1 (2009-02-16)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I ran the script, but it doesn't fully complete all the steps as decribed on the iClarified site. My computer never reboots with the automator.

Thanks

^Have you tried DFU since doing it?

If so, I'd say run it again or find a non 10.5.6/Mac machine. It'll make your life a lot easier.
    Respect your elders.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ALL DAY For This Useful Post:

JHoffy1 (2009-02-16)

As noted previously OS X 10.5.6 introduced a bug that affected the use of DFU mode. with some Macs. There have been previously published hacks and techniques to fix this, but here is another method that can be used to easily restore functionality.
    You will need an account with ADC (Apple Developer Connection) this is free and takes a few minutes to sign up, you should read the terms and conditions carefully and you should only sign up if you are thinking of developing applications in the future - Apple Developer Connection - Mac Dev Center
    Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-315.4-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Build 9F33” (yes, that is a “5” in 10.5.5 - this is a developer debug package of the USB kernel extension).
    Unplug non-vital USB equipment, such as external DVD writers, USB scanners, USB mass storage devices,
    Unplug non-vital USB equipment, such as external DVD writers, USB scanners, USB mass storage devices, at the most leave a Keyboard and Mouse connected.
    nstall IOUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg from within the disk image
    Reboot your system!
    Perform necessary DFU activity with QuickPwn or PwnageTool.
    Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-327.4.0-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.6 Build 9G55”
    Install IOUSBFamily-327.4.0.pkg from within the disk image
    Reboot your system!
    Reattach your USB peripherals.

OR

Simply connect through a USB Hub

Default Jailbreaking after update of 2.2.1. using iTunes
    I had a jailbroken 3G running on version 2.2. After a few attempts to upgrade to 2.2.1 using the Pwnage tool and even QuickPwn, I finally managed to upgrade, except I had no signal and basically my iPhone had turned into an iPod. At this point I decided to do the upgrade via iTunes risking not being able to jailbreak my phone afterward. This got me my cell signal back. Now, using QuickPwn, I once again tried to jailbreak, but w/o success. The upgrade stalled in the DFU mode. Finally I used a powered USB hub to connect the phone to my Mac Air and guess what?! I jailbroke my phone (even after having installed 2.2.1 via iTunes!!!!).