Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem With PwnageTool 2.2.5. Assistance Required

Default Problem With PwnageTool 2.2.5. Assistance Required
    Hi guys,

I have a Mac, and I downloaded PwnageTool 2.2.5. and made a custom 2.2.1 ipsw which preserves the 02.28.00 baseband.

My iPhone is currently a clean 2.2 firwmare with baseband 02.28.00.

So, after I made the custom ipsw, I put my iPhone into DFU mode successfully, so I opened iTunes.

When I held down shift and clicked on "Restore" however, I got an error message saying:

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600)

Help Please. Thanks.

i am having the same problem, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I've done the same thing you guys did and came up with the same error codes. I accidentally upgraded to 2.2.1 and now my phone is at 2.30.03 baseband which screwed my unlocking capabilities with Yellowsn0w. I just ran the new Jailbreak 2.2-5 and everything is jailbroken but not unlocked any longer. I'm just going sit back and let the Dev Team or YellowSn0w figure this whole thing out.

Exclamation Same issue - Help! - could this be Air related?
    Hi everyone, I also was unable to resore in iTunes, I get error 1600
    I am using a 1st gen macBook Air which seem to have a unique USB port, I wonder if anyone else with the issue is using a macBook Air?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus The Great View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a Mac, and I downloaded PwnageTool 2.2.5. and made a custom 2.2.1 ipsw which preserves the 02.28.00 baseband.

My iPhone is currently a clean 2.2 firwmare with baseband 02.28.00.

So, after I made the custom ipsw, I put my iPhone into DFU mode successfully, so I opened iTunes.

When I held down shift and clicked on "Restore" however, I got an error message saying:

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600)

Help Please. Thanks.
    What kind of Mac (both type and generation) & what operating system version? This started happening around Leopard 10.5.5 and had something to do with the USB drivers getting majorly screwed (it usually relates to DFU mode). There are two things to try if it is the USB problem. First, is the easiest, which is find a POWERED USB Hub and plug your DFU'd iPhone into that, which causes different USB drivers to be used. Other option is to go to the Dev-Team's blog and look for the link that replaces the USB drivers (this can be a little more dangerous if your system doesn't like having an older version USB driver).

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
    i am having the same problem, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    See Above.

Quote Originally Posted by msgeek View Post
    Hi everyone, I also was unable to resore in iTunes, I get error 1600
    I am using a 1st gen macBook Air which seem to have a unique USB port, I wonder if anyone else with the issue is using a macBook Air?
    Depends on the Air, but some of them have the same issue as the newer MBs and MBPs. The USB has real limits with DFU mode. I would try the Hub solution again.

Am having the same issue on my Mac and also using an XP PC. No matter how I try, I've been ending with error 21 or 1600.

Am working with the hub solution on mac right now. I'll keep this thread posted.

Default Still getting 1600 - using powered hub
    Using Macbook Air, Mac OS 10.5.6
    I purchased a powered USB Hub, I was able to get to DFU mode, but iTunes gives me the same error message 1600. Any other suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by PorthosPirate View Post
    What kind of Mac (both type and generation) & what operating system version? This started happening around Leopard 10.5.5 and had something to do with the USB drivers getting majorly screwed (it usually relates to DFU mode). There are two things to try if it is the USB problem. First, is the easiest, which is find a POWERED USB Hub and plug your DFU'd iPhone into that, which causes different USB drivers to be used. Other option is to go to the Dev-Team's blog and look for the link that replaces the USB drivers (this can be a little more dangerous if your system doesn't like having an older version USB driver).

See Above.

Depends on the Air, but some of them have the same issue as the newer MBs and MBPs. The USB has real limits with DFU mode. I would try the Hub solution again.

I would try using QuickPwn on your current version of the clean 2.2 and then use Pwnage to upgrade to the 2.2.1 version after the 2.2 has already been Pwn'd. That way you wouldn't need DFU mode in iTunes at all. Once it is Pwn'd you can use regular restore to put on the 2.2.1 custom firmware.
    Evolution of an iPhone User:
    Pager -> StarTac -> Other Moto Phones -> BlackBerry -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3Gs --> iPhone 4 --> iPhone 4S --> iPhone Implant?

Evolution of a Mac User:
    Apple ][+ -> //e -> IBM PC DOS -> Fat Mac -> Mac SE -> Windows -> Win 95 -> Win 98 -> Win 2000 -> Win XP -> Mac OS X --> Mac OS XI - Someday

iMac 27" Core i7 (2011) - MacBook Air 13" (2011) - iPad 2 32GB WiFi - iPhone 4S 32GB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PorthosPirate For This Useful Post:

msgeek (2009-02-27)

OK, Thanks, but I would like to confirm since the dev team blog clearly states "# GOLDEN RULE: If you have a 3G iPhone running 2.2 firmware and you want to keep your ability to use yellowns0w (or the option to use it in the future) do NOT use QuickPwn, and do not use the official ipsw or the iTunes update process without using PwnageTool. "

Will I be able to quickpwn to firmware 2.2 with QuickPwn 2.2.5 for Mac?
    Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the help, I am just uneasy with all the trouble I have been having...

Thanks

The note is to not upgrade to 2.2.1 without using PWNage (thereby avoiding the modem upgrade to 2.30). If you QuickPWN 2.2 (you can use the Apple 2.2 IPSW to clean install) then you can use the PWNage IPSW to upgrade to 2.2.1.

That process will preserve the 2.28 Modem firmware
    Pager -> StarTac -> Other Moto Phones -> BlackBerry -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3Gs --> iPhone 4 --> iPhone 4S --> iPhone Implant?

Evolution of a Mac User:
    Apple ][+ -> //e -> IBM PC DOS -> Fat Mac -> Mac SE -> Windows -> Win 95 -> Win 98 -> Win 2000 -> Win XP -> Mac OS X --> Mac OS XI - Someday

iMac 27" Core i7 (2011) - MacBook Air 13" (2011) - iPad 2 32GB WiFi - iPhone 4S 32GB

Ok, sorry, but I need help again. I was able to quickpwn to 2.2 succesfully, the phone now is back and iTunes synched it, but it does not seem activated anylonger. I do not see my provider signal and I cannot make call 8-(

Any suggestion?

Thanks

What is the baseband? And what carrier do you use?

My carrier is Rogers and my baseband is 02.28.00

Thanks

Did you check on activate in quickpwn?

I did not see such option but I did see one in pwnage tool, I will try that. I just thought since it had been activated with this SIM before that it was not necessary. Obviously I have a lot to lern about this process.

Many thanks to all those who helped me so far!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by msgeek View Post
    I did not see such option but I did see one in pwnage tool, I will try that. I just thought since it had been activated with this SIM before that it was not necessary. Obviously I have a lot to lern about this process.

Many thanks to all those who helped me so far!
    Hold on don't do it yet, I did not know that you have used the sim before and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    Hold on don't do it yet, I did not know that you have used the sim before and it worked.
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 3G iPhone (Mac) [Updated 2.2.1]
    Last edited by Zwayne; 2009-02-28 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

OK, I did not do it, got your message just in time. (I was stuck again anyway. pwnagetool was askig that I set the ihpone in restore mode and restore in itunes, but how would I get to restore mode? (my initial problem was that in DFU mode I could not restore in itunes))

So I have not done anything with the ipws file with the activate turned on.
    I will not proceed until I hear back from you. Thanks Zwayne.

One more detail, the first time I sed quickpwn it did not work after 2 hours I reset the phone and tried again. But before I tried iTunes started and said this SIM could not be used to activate the phone. Problem is I have had this SIM for months and been using it in the iphone no problem...
    Last edited by msgeek; 2009-02-28 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you are using a "approved carrier" (i.e., you bought the phone with Rogers) then you do NOT want to check Activate and let iTunes activate it.

pwnagetool was askig that I set the ihpone in restore mode and restore in itunes, but how would I get to restore mode?
    Restore Mode is the simple mode. Turn the iPhone off and then hold down the Home button while you plug it into the sync cable. That will put up the "Cable to iTunes" graphic on the phone. You don't really need this mode as you can always click the "restore" button in itunes to load a new IPSW anyway.

Evolution of a Mac User:

Hi again, now that I have succesfully jailbreaked my iphone I thought I would let you know what I needed to do so that if someone else has the same issue they can see this solution.
    Note before all this I had iphone 3g firmware 2.2, baseband 02.28 with a Sim card that worked on the Rogers 3g network

-I used quickpwn 2.5 to jailbreak to firmware 2.2, while doing this the option to activate my SIM did not come up.
    -That was succesful, but my SIM card could no longer be used. iTunes refused to activate it and it was no longer activated and I could not make any calls
    - then used pwnagetool 2.2.5 to create a custom ipws file without activate
    - I used i tune option click restore (holding the mac keyboard option button while clicking the restore button) to restore this to my iphone. - Still not luck with SIM card
    -I created yet another custom ipws file with activate SIM option and used itunes to option restore this file. Still not signal, no call
    -I installed yell0w snow from cydia to activate the card and that worked

Thanks everyone