Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Updating after Pwnage

Default Updating after Pwnage
    Question: i just jailbroke my new iphone with Pwnage. iPhone 3G, 2.1. Everything is working seamlessly. My question is though when Apple comes out with another update, how do i update my phone? If i do it through iTunes it will unjailbreak my phone right? Or do I download the file itself and do the same exact process as before when first jailbreaking the phone (custom restore file). Thanks
    iPhone 4 / 4.3.1 / redsn0w

Quote Originally Posted by danno2022 View Post
    Question: i just jailbroke my new iphone with Pwnage. iPhone 3G, 2.1. Everything is working seamlessly. My question is though when Apple comes out with another update, how do i update my phone? If i do it through iTunes it will unjailbreak my phone right? Or do I download the file itself and do the same exact process as before when first jailbreaking the phone (custom restore file). Thanks
    Yes, if you update to a newer firmware then your jailbreak will be lost. When new firmware updates come from Apple it usually is a week or so before a new pwnage tool is released that will jailbreak that version. Yes, it will typically be the same process but you have to wait for the updated release of the tool, ie. Pwnage, Quickpwn, Winpwn, so that you can jailbreak again.
    Dirty as I wanna be!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtybird1977 For This Useful Post:

danno2022 (2008-09-25)

If you upgrade, you risk upgrading your baseband which will prevent future unlock. For the moment, subscribe to this thread blog.iphone-dev.org

5. The Following User Says Thank You to satch2501 For This Useful Post:

danno2022 (2008-09-25)

^ ^ great, thank you
    iPhone 4 / 4.3.1 / redsn0w