Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Shift + Restore Not Working (have tried iTunes Re-install)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Shift + Restore Not Working (have tried iTunes Re-install)
    All of the sudden my shift+click to restore to a custom firm doesn;t work. The window just doesn't come up. It comes up to restore the default firmware (2.1) not the pwnd custom firmware (which I downloaded from this site from Willy, thanks Willy! I have reinstalled iTunes and even tried a different machine. Currently running Windows Vista 64 bit. Hopefully some other have come across this problem and have been able to fix it.

EDIT: I will add that I am not able to find where itunes stores it's downloaded 2.1 file. I was going to try to just replace that file with the pwnd one but I couldn;t find it

EDIT 2: I will also add that i tried both DFU mode and just plugging the phone in and **** + clicking restore... no dice
    Last edited by sziklassy; 2008-09-17 at 05:37 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My computer will not even recognize the custom firmware and when I copy and pasted the file name and try to open it it just gives me error 1403 ?????? sorru I can not help you but good luck.

Thanks

Copied and pasted the file name? Where did you copy and paste it to? And what doesn;t recognize the firm? Your iTunes?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

bookem15 (2008-09-17)

Thanks

I downloaded the cutomw firmware from this site and am trying the upgrade under another thread on here and it tells me to shift restore and then pick the custom one that I downloaded. When I do that it does not give me the custom one as an option so I opened the folder and copied (control c) the file name and then put it into the open line but it just gives me the error 1403.

Thanks

Ah I see.... so many problems with this new iTunes 8

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

bookem15 (2008-09-17)

Thanks

I think that I am goint to wait until winpwn 3.0 comes out.

Thanks

Sadly that is not going to solve my problem if I am unable to do a shift+restore

bump

I know SOMEBODY has gotten around this issue!!!!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 2008-09-17 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

did you try using 7.7

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ltent View Post
    did you try using 7.7
    will 7.7 allow me to use a 2.1 firm?

i concur, with iTunes 8 shift restore DOES NOT WORK. looks like someone caught on to the JB community.....
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69185&dateline=119575  6040

Thanks

try renaming the custom firmware file to the same name as the stock firmware. You should rename the stock firmware first or move it somewhere so the customfirmware doesn't over writ it. Haven't tried that as I have only used quicklwn since itunes8, but it's a hunch.

I have the same problem. I am in Vista 32 bit and the shift restore does not work in itunes 8.0, but it does work on windows xp with itunes 8.0. How is that only vista cant get around that thing!!! someone please help.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Niner1000RR's Avatar
    Thanks

JUST started having the same problem... But it worked before....

Default Found a solution (i hope)
    Hi,
    Just close I-tunes and then double-click the custom .ipsw firmware file.
    This will open Itunes again.
    THEN shift-click the restore button.
    It works for me.
    PS: the phone was in DFU mode but i think it should work in normal mode too.

Cheers,
    Stoyan

17. The Following User Says Thank You to voodorush For This Useful Post:

apat55 (2009-08-17)

Arrow Shift-Restore not working [SOLUTION]
    If your running windows, just exit iTunes, and Right-click the icon and select "Run as Administrator" (in win7 you need to Shift-Right click in order to Run as Administrator.)

Then, Shift-Restore, will work as you intend it to.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Retoxx For This Useful Post:

blacraven (2010-09-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Currently running Windows Vista 64 bit. I will add that I am not able to find where itunes stores it's downloaded 2.1 file. I was going to try to just replace that file with the pwnd one but I couldn;t find it
    The following is the location where iTunes stores downloaded firmwares on Windows Vista & Windows 7 system.

C: \Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

Look in these locations and delete any firmwares present. Then manually download the correct 4.0 iOS firmware for your iPhone model.

iPhone 3G iOS 4.0 : iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw
    iPhone 3GS iOS 4.0 : iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw
    iPhone 4 iOS 4.0 : iPhone3,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-06-26 at 04:32 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

press fn key and u're there

press THE ARROW KEY BETWEEN CAPS LOCK AND CTRL and press restore key and u're there
    Last edited by lyorjohnson; 2010-08-17 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost