Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP. I think I bricked my iPhone. Didn't know Steve Jobs spoke Russion!

Default HELP. I think I bricked my iPhone. Didn't know Steve Jobs spoke Russion!
    I have gotten myself into a pickle and I'm not sure how to get out. Hopefully someone can help me.

My iPhone is displaying a caricature of Steve jobs with his hands in the air and what I can only imagine is "I'm stumped" in Russian. I can't turn the phone off and it tries to reboot from time to time but the pineapple turns back to Steve within a couple of seconds.

Here's what I did:

1. Upgraded from 1.1.3 to 2.1 with QuickPwn 2.1
    - All was fine except that I had a persistent "No Service" message and my carrier in settings was listed as (null) (null)

2. I then tried to do a restore using PwnageTool 2.1 as I thought the prob may be caused by the baseband software not being updated correctly.

3. I downloaded Bootloader 3.9 and when trying to "add" it to PwnageTool it kept saying that it was the incorrect file.

4. The only info I could find on the matter led me to believe that I should just try another Mac, which I did. This is where it all went belly up.

5. Running PwnageTool on Mac #2, the first thing I was asked for was an .ipsw file. I downloaded iPhone1,1_2.ipsw (thinking my original issue could have been 2.1 related as I had updated a different phone to 2.0.2 without issue)

6. As soon as the restore started, I saw Steve with his hands in the air speaking Russian!

Please HELP!

Thanks

The steve jobs cartoon means recovery mode. Try to restore to an unmodified 2.1, after that enter dfu mode and then restore to a custom firmware.

Worked a treat. Thanks.

hi - need help !! - i have the same problem - but i cant fix it so far - my new iphone 3g was jailbroken quickpwn 2.1 on windows vista - with only minor mods so far not alot of downloads - when it locked up all of a sudden and when i rebooted it came back up with the russian steve jobs cartoon - the cartoon translates to "preved" which means "hi" or also "suprise" also slang for " privet" which means "hi" - now my new phone will only turn on for a second or two then show the pineapple and the steve jobs picture - i have tried to full restore thru itunes 8 back to original settings - gets part way thru then gives error 13 - i have read alot of posts about this same problem some people have gotten past it others not - i have also tried the deal with push the power and home buttons then letting go of the power button - then attempted to restore - no good - tried to quickpwn again didnt work - the best i have gotten is at one one point i got the apple boot symbol to appear instead of the pineapple and the screen flashed white - i have tried a few other things from the internet but nothing has worked - i have read about trying to use earlier version of itunes ? if i can just get it to boot i can update and fix from there - is there any other way to wipe boot clean and reload ? need any and all help please ! thanks alot !!!!!

The same has happened to me i have a 8 gig 2.0.2 fw ipod touch not the new kind. Im really confused please help.

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    The steve jobs cartoon means recovery mode. Try to restore to an unmodified 2.1, after that enter dfu mode and then restore to a custom firmware.
    wait this might help for my iphone that has had happened to the same way can you tell my how can i do this unmodified 2.1 this might work for me and i ill be glad if you tell me please thatnks

Quote Originally Posted by schaefer72 View Post
    hi - need help !! - i have the same problem - but i cant fix it so far - my new iphone 3g was jailbroken quickpwn 2.1 on windows vista - with only minor mods so far not alot of downloads - when it locked up all of a sudden and when i rebooted it came back up with the russian steve jobs cartoon - the cartoon translates to "preved" which means "hi" or also "suprise" also slang for " privet" which means "hi" - now my new phone will only turn on for a second or two then show the pineapple and the steve jobs picture - i have tried to full restore thru itunes 8 back to original settings - gets part way thru then gives error 13 - i have read alot of posts about this same problem some people have gotten past it others not - i have also tried the deal with push the power and home buttons then letting go of the power button - then attempted to restore - no good - tried to quickpwn again didnt work - the best i have gotten is at one one point i got the apple boot symbol to appear instead of the pineapple and the screen flashed white - i have tried a few other things from the internet but nothing has worked - i have read about trying to use earlier version of itunes ? if i can just get it to boot i can update and fix from there - is there any other way to wipe boot clean and reload ? need any and all help please ! thanks alot !!!!!
    how did you get the apple logo instead of the pineapple back i really need that aleast

Quote Originally Posted by rscherer View Post
    I have gotten myself into a pickle and I'm not sure how to get out. Hopefully someone can help me.

My iPhone is displaying a caricature of Steve jobs with his hands in the air and what I can only imagine is "I'm stumped" in Russian. I can't turn the phone off and it tries to reboot from time to time but the pineapple turns back to Steve within a couple of seconds.

Here's what I did:

1. Upgraded from 1.1.3 to 2.1 with QuickPwn 2.1
    - All was fine except that I had a persistent "No Service" message and my carrier in settings was listed as (null) (null)

2. I then tried to do a restore using PwnageTool 2.1 as I thought the prob may be caused by the baseband software not being updated correctly.

3. I downloaded Bootloader 3.9 and when trying to "add" it to PwnageTool it kept saying that it was the incorrect file.

4. The only info I could find on the matter led me to believe that I should just try another Mac, which I did. This is where it all went belly up.

5. Running PwnageTool on Mac #2, the first thing I was asked for was an .ipsw file. I downloaded iPhone1,1_2.ipsw (thinking my original issue could have been 2.1 related as I had updated a different phone to 2.0.2 without issue)

6. As soon as the restore started, I saw Steve with his hands in the air speaking Russian!

Please HELP!

hey i really need your help,,
    did you ever fixed your iphone because i got the same problem with the steves job cartoon did you find a way out of that if you did please but please let me know im going crazy trying to figure it out please let me kno
    Last edited by creyes2010; 2009-07-10 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

DFU mode and then restore in iTunes. In case you need them, here are instructions for DFU mode. Good luck.

DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it detects iPhone in restore/recovery mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connects and disconnects.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    DFU mode and then restore in iTunes. In case you need them, here are instructions for DFU mode. Good luck.

DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it detects iPhone in restore/recovery mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connects and disconnects.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.
    yea but see the problem is that my pc my itunes is not detecting the iphone it doesnt show up on my computer at all

Thanks

That is why you need to put the phone in DFU mode, iTunes will detect it then. Follow the instructions.
    Here's a video, will make it easier for you to understand.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKCfzezGXw&feature=channel_page]YouTube - How To Set Your iPhone / iPod Touch In To DFU Mode And Unbrick Your Device[/ame]

But how did you manage itunes to recognize your iphone?? I'm sick of it... I've tried everything... installed itunes 7.5, reinstalled iphone driver, and nothing works. I still get stupid Jobs cartoon and f@%g pineapple image. Every time i plug it to the computer it won't recognize it as iphone, it just says unknown. Please help!

Thanks

^ have you tried to put the phone in DFU mode? this is the key to getting it to restore.

@rscherer: What is Russion?
    word

start over. delete itunes then delete itunes folder in program files folder. reboot then install itunes and enter DFU mode hopefully itunes will pick it up and complete your restore.

dude, what he's asking is basically has anyone been able to get a phone displaying the Steven Jobs russian into DFU mode, I can't seem to get it to stick and itunes won't see it with him displayed. Still working on a solution.

I'm having the same problem. I was able to get my phone into DFU mode, but now it won't restore 3.1.3. I keep getting an unknown error (28).

If I try and restore it to 3.1.2, I get an error saying it is not compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by pyra5 View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I was able to get my phone into DFU mode, but now it won't restore 3.1.3. I keep getting an unknown error (28).

If I try and restore it to 3.1.2, I get an error saying it is not compatible.
    UPDATE: I no longer have the compatibility problem with 3.1.2, but instead I have the same unknown error 28 issue
    Last edited by pyra5; 2010-04-19 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well I've exhausted forums and blogs everywhere and tried everything to date still haven't found a resolution for this annoying problem. Has anybody out there found a remedy?

My jailbroken iPhone was showing Russian Steve Jobs after I tried updating it to the new OS version (stupid me). My Windows 7 64-bit iTunes wouldn't recognize the iPhone anymore, but a friend's Mac OS X iTunes did. Hope this info can help someone else.

This thread is 2 years old!

.... it may be, but the problem is current for me and there is little help/info on resolving this problem anywhere! So I thought here is as good a place as any to start..... people are looking...you did!