Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help! Desperately need to downgrade!

Default Help! Desperately need to downgrade!
    Ok, I had a 3g iphone jailbroken running 2.0.2 I believe. I backedup my phone and decided to upgrade to 2.1 without knowing that it would kill ALL my info.

Now I am stuck with basically a brand new phone with nothing on it. None of my important notes or sms or phone numbers!

Basically I want to downgrade from 2.1 back to 2.0.x so i can do a restore from my backup of all my settings.
    Is there a way to do this? I keep getting errors. I've tried it multiple times and gotten multiple errors.

Is there a step by step walk through somewhere? I can't find one.

I have an imac that runs windows, so I can essentially do both if need be. I also have ATT, only jailbroke for springboard/winterboard mostly. Stupid apple. If they'd just allow background images on the homescreen.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by kerchakone; 2008-09-14 at 08:16 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 97vrsix's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouold take 5 mins sir, and do a good search, this topic has been gone over many times! and being new, you may upset some people that take the time to make these post for people like your self..
    It's not hard, but your going to have to get the old firmware, and fles needed to do this, un-install itunes, and re-instal (i think) or del some files for sure..and re-jailbrake our phone!
    if you have not donoe it yet, and you bought your phone this way, ide have someone else do it..

Good luck...Use search!
    New unibody Macbook Pro, the jacked Model.. Iphone 2G, and 3G, 3G's, And 4G.

Quote Originally Posted by 97vrsix View Post
    I wouold take 5 mins sir, and do a good search, this topic has been gone over many times! and being new, you may upset some people that take the time to make these post for people like your self..
    It's not hard, but your going to have to get the old firmware, and fles needed to do this, un-install itunes, and re-instal (i think) or del some files for sure..and re-jailbrake our phone!
    if you have not donoe it yet, and you bought your phone this way, ide have someone else do it..

Good luck...Use search!
    I have read all the ones I've found and done them. I keep getting errors. I would appreciate a link to one that would work in my situation, because I am clearly inept and unable to find one. They all cover other firmwares, don't know if that's why they fail or not, but they aren't helping.

This type of response is ALL that I get. I haven't gotten a single search to work on this site AT ALL.

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
    The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : downgrading, from
    Last edited by kerchakone; 2008-09-14 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Not a promise but it might work

maybe you can use iphuc and then do a shift+restore in itunes and select the 2.0.2 firmware from your hard drive.

It's worth a shot...good luck.

and P.S. you are not alone in your dead end searches prior to posting
    Last edited by evolutionarymc; 2008-09-14 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I would have my URL here so you could hear our music but apparently that's sig spam. WTF?

Nothing is working. Does bootneuter have something to do with it? It's not working for 2.1 yet.

I've tried itunes 7.7.1, 7.7, 8 firmwares 2.0.2 2.0 2.0.1 1.1.4 having it in dfu mode recovery mode regular mode nothing works. ALL give me errors.

However I try it makes a new error.

Do I need to wait? I lost SO MUCH info. I am pretty lost.

Use QuickPwn. Im on Vista and the method that worked was go through the process of it telling you to Hold power, then home, then JUST home at the white screen kill the "quickpwn.exe" task and leave it in white screen.

iTunes will tell you that the phone is in recovery mode and MUST be restored. Shift + restore and select your CORRECT firmware.

Note, I did this with 2.1 official installed and used a random 2.0.1 firmware just to get the iPhone to the white restore screen.

No error. Thank goodness. Will post a new topic about this for Vista/XP users.

Quote Originally Posted by nascasho View Post
    Use QuickPwn. Im on Vista and the method that worked was go through the process of it telling you to Hold power, then home, then JUST home at the white screen kill the "quickpwn.exe" task and leave it in white screen.

iTunes will tell you that the phone is in recovery mode and MUST be restored. Shift + restore and select your CORRECT firmware.

Note, I did this with 2.1 official installed and used a random 2.0.1 firmware just to get the iPhone to the white restore screen.

No error. Thank goodness. Will post a new topic about this for Vista/XP users.
    I don't exactly follow what you mean. What white screen?

Also, I read your post you were talking about making. It seems you are talking about how to upgrade to 2.1 jailbroken. I already am on a jailbroken 2.1 3g phone. I don't need to upgrade. I need to DOWNgrade.
    Last edited by kerchakone; 2008-09-17 at 07:16 PM.

To downgrade go into DFU mode...

There are different methods but the easiest is to download Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

Place the DFU folder in your C: drive... so C:/DFU/

Connect your iphone and close iTunes

Next go to Start -> Run

Type "c:/dfu/dfu iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu"

Press enter and itll load to DFU mode which in turn will start itunes up...

Now click Shift + hit the Restore button and open up the firmware you want to downgrade... This should work with any firmware.. Though I have only tested it for 2.1 -> 2.0 so far... but it was 100% success..

Enjoy--

--UK

Quote Originally Posted by unknownkind View Post
    To downgrade go into DFU mode...

There are different methods but the easiest is to download Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

Place the DFU folder in your C: drive... so C:/DFU/

Connect your iphone and close iTunes

Next go to Start -> Run

Type "c:/dfu/dfu iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu"

Press enter and itll load to DFU mode which in turn will start itunes up...

Now click Shift + hit the Restore button and open up the firmware you want to downgrade... This should work with any firmware.. Though I have only tested it for 2.1 -> 2.0 so far... but it was 100% success..

Enjoy--

--UK
    Error 1013 "could not restore firmware."

Used: iphone 3g 2.1 firmware on itunes 7.7 for windows, and tried firmware 2.0.2