Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Winpwn first timer, go easy on me:)

Default Winpwn first timer, go easy on me:)
    Right guys, i have an iphone 2G and it's unlocked and jailbroken on 1.1.4 on uk network o2 pay as you go and have the latest itunes, i have just downloaded Winpwn and would like to update to FW 2.0.2, what are the steps for doing this as i have read many posts that conflict with each other, some people say use expert mode, some say don't use expert mode, some say update firmware directly through itunes then use winpwn, some say use winpwn and build custom firmware from the itunes firmware, i bought my iphone already jb and unlocked so if some one could hellp me out i would appreciate it greatly, don't know if this helps but my modem firware is currently 04.04.05_G and i read somwhere about a bootloader, don't know if thats anything to do with the modem

Thanks.
    Last edited by legend_of_chaos; 2008-09-02 at 11:07 AM.

Just follow this tutorial and you'll be fine.

Unless the original unlock was done with Ziphone, in which case all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip View Post
    Just follow this tutorial and you'll be fine.

Unless the original unlock was done with Ziphone, in which case all bets are off.
    I don't know what was used to originally jb and unlock to 1.1.4, why does ziphone make it a bets off deal???

If i do update from 1.1.4 to 2.0.2 will i lose all my phone numbers(contacts) and pictures and music, cheers.
    Last edited by legend_of_chaos; 2008-09-02 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The only reason I added 'all bets are off' is that Ziphone unlock has caused some problems for some people when subsequently using other methods to unlock/jailbreak new firmware.

Apparently, Ziphone makes permanent changes to the baseband.

Have a search. There's plenty of debate about it. The general opinion being to steer clear of Ziphone.

You'll probably be OK but there's always a chance it will brick, whereas non-Ziphone unlocaks are pretty safe and reliable when upgraded with pwnage.

I upgraded from 1.1.4 to 2.0 using the iClarified method. When you have built the firmware and upgrade using iPhones it will give you the option of restoring your data from back-up. It was all smooth for me.

Worked like a charm, no problems as of yet, still don't know if youtube or edge works yet so will try later, just playing at the moment with cydia and working out what to install for my theme, thanks again.