Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: is everyone here just stupid or is jailbreaking really this risky?

Default is everyone here just stupid or is jailbreaking really this risky?
    inquiring minds wanna know!

got a 3G iphone....been debating whether to jailbreak or not ever since i got it (july 12th)

with all of these posts on the message board about probs and wifi issues and call issues.....

is pwning really this risky and potentially damaging or are most of these posts involving people not properly following directions?

thanks

Talking Take a pass
    Quote Originally Posted by lazer View Post

got a 3G iphone....been debating whether to jailbreak or not ever since i got it (july 12th)

with all of these posts on the message board about probs and wifi issues and call issues.....

is pwning really this risky and potentially damaging or are most of these posts involving people not properly following directions?

thanks
    If you're analyzing it for six weeks, you definitely should NOT JB your phone. Jailbreaking isn't for everyone and can certainly lead to problems (which you clearly already know).

The iPhone is amazing unbroken...enjoy it as is and avoid the stress.
    PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.

Thanks

thanks
    It's not a matter of not properly following directions. There are, and have been, real problems associated with Pwnage and QuickPwn. Some get fixed with updates, some get broken with updates. It's a gamble, and you have to be willing to put up with it if you want a modifiable phone.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

It's worth it in my opinion. I didn't know any thing about this stuff until i joined this website a year ago. But i took the risk and couldn't be any happier even when i screw up because i know i'm about tolearn how to fix it, only to learn even more. So i say give it a try.

i dont think it is risky at all... if something doesnt work out well, try it again until you get it right

i made it through the 2nd time with pawning... it was ok
    Last edited by macciti; 2008-08-28 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

It's risky for the original poster, as it seems he would have issues sitting the right way round on the armitage shanks
    To live, you have to lie

If your really worried about it, use quickpwn...it's basically a 100% your NOT gonna brick the phone.

Thanks

I believe a better description would be inconsistent results. More than once I needed to restore and re do a jailbreak. Mostly it was becasue I tried to shortcut something but other times I had followed the instructions to the letter. It may be true that a lot of folks dont follow directions or they misinterpret them. There are relatively few iphones truly permanently bricked.

Yes there are potential "dangers" but as Eurisko said, if you are that concerned you probably should not mess with your phone. If you cannot use it in its stock condition, you probably might be better off with a different phone.

It's much like when people drive their cars at high performance driving events, mess up and want their insurance to cover the damages. Most insurers exclude incidents that occur on racetracks. So often when people bang their car up they whine about no insurance. My philosophy is that either they pushed a bit too hard and exceeded the limits (there are those like that) in which case if they cant afford the damamge they need to kick it down a notch. On the side of mechanical failures causing an incident, that can't be controlled but one needs to be aware that it can and does happen. in that case if you can't afford the damages out of pocket, you better think twice before participating.

As far as the iPhone, a good rule of thumb is to have a spare phone to throw your sim into in an emergency if you cannot afford to be without a phone and don't try anything new if you are leaving the next day to go out of town. Most of the time things go smoothly but its not a perfect process.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    It's not a matter of not properly following directions. There are, and have been, real problems associated with Pwnage and QuickPwn. Some get fixed with updates, some get broken with updates. It's a gamble, and you have to be willing to put up with it if you want a modifiable phone.
    so is it just completely random that person A who follows the instructions perfectly has zero probs while person B who does the same has probs?

how come only some people are encountering probs when the majority are not?

Quote Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post
    If you're analyzing it for six weeks, you definitely should NOT JB your phone. Jailbreaking isn't for everyone and can certainly lead to problems (which you clearly already know).

The iPhone is amazing unbroken...enjoy it as is and avoid the stress.
    not really analyzing for the past 6 weeks, more like fully acclimating to the entire process before diving in. i consider myself a knowledgable, informed user and just want to have my bases covered before jailbreaking
    Last edited by lazer; 2008-08-28 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Most of the software used to perform "jailbreaking" is buggy. Its not quarenteed and always "use at your own risk".

Thats just how it goes when your "hacking" something that wasnt meant to be. You just have to weigh it out, is it worth the chance or not. If you read and understand what you are doing first and do it properly there is only a very small chance you will break something beyond repair.

I have done it more times than I can count, on more phones than I can count without problems. Maybe a little issue here or there that I was able to easily fix.

so is it just completely random that person A who follows the instructions perfectly has zero probs while person B who does the same has probs?

how come only some people are encountering probs when the majority are not?
    The same reason why some iPhones are defective and some aren't. It just happens. It could be that specific person has a defective device that reacted differently to a mod.

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

i have unlocked and jailbroken phones since firmware 1.0.? and never have had a problem i could not fix. it is definately an experience learning to deal with problems that may arise and jailbreaking is definately not for everyone. most problems are easily fixed and its takes a lot to really brick your phone from ever working again
    i would say try it to see if you really like it or not and then decide again when the new firmware comes out.
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    It's risky for the original poster, as it seems he would have issues sitting the right way round on the armitage shanks
    lol I think I'm the only one that got that...be kind, redcard.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

redcard (2008-08-28)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

I f you create a custom firmware and upgrade with iTunes it's very straight forward. And 99 times out of a 100 you can always put your iPhone in DFU and restore again if you have a problem.

My advice would be don't rush to upgrade when a new firmare release comes out, wait to see if there are any issues, and secondly read, read and read the forums and tutorials so you are 100% sure you know what you are doing.

I've jailbroke, unlocked 1st gen iPhone with no problems, I've had to restore one time when phone got stuck in contious loop at boot up.

I've jailbroke my 3g twice first with FW2.0,0 and then with FW2.0,2 I'm curently waiting for winpwn to jailbrake FW2.0,2 as I want to change partition size and don't want to update baseband.

I think jailbraking as got a he'll of a lot safer since Pwnage tool and Winpwn + FW1.1,4 and FW2.0x and you rarely if at all hear of anyone bricking there iPhones anymore.

That's my opinion on things.

IphoneCrazy

*that should be FW2.0,0 and FW2.0,1
    Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 2008-08-28 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

thanks for all the replies guys, i really appreciate it

what's with all of these posts about wifi probs after pwning?

any of you ever encounter any of these probs?

Thanks

thanks for all the replies guys, i really appreciate it

what's with all of these posts about wifi probs after pwning?

any of you ever encounter any of these probs?
    Speaking to my previous post, and yes I have been jailbreaking for quite awhile now and know how to follow directions. When I pwn'd my phone with Pwnage 2.0.3, my WiFi would suddenly and randomly drop the connection. Also, it did not cache the keychain so every time I tried to reconnect to my home router, it would ask for the password again. Very annoying.

This was fixed in version 2.0.3.1 and when I re-pwn'd, the problem went away. I think it's pretty evident the problem was with Pwnage, not my use of it.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

bhz1 (2008-08-29), robeeen (2008-09-04)

Thanks

Speaking to my previous post, and yes I have been jailbreaking for quite awhile now and know how to follow directions. When I pwn'd my phone with Pwnage 2.0.3, my WiFi would suddenly and randomly drop the connection. Also, it did not cache the keychain so every time I tried to reconnect to my home router, it would ask for the password again. Very annoying.

This was fixed in version 2.0.3.1 and when I re-pwn'd, the problem went away. I think it's pretty evident the problem was with Pwnage, not my use of it.
    After all the hours and hours I spent trying to figure this out that is what caused the problem? This was a major issue on my 1st gen iphone from the time I winpwned on 1.1.4. Given that I use my iPhone as a reading in bed substitute when the light HAS to be out for my other half to sleep. My room is about as far away from my router as you can get. My wifi constantly kicks on and off due to my neighbors signal being stronger than mine. My workaround was to shut off wifi. One reason I love the 3G. Ironically the wifi sticks better on the 3G.

Lazer, When I first jailbroke my iPhone, I was a member of this site for less then 24 hours. All I did was follow the instructions to the letter and I never had any troubles. I have jailbroken 10 iPhones so far and all of them work like a charm. (all have been 2.0.1 mind you). My advice is as followed if you wanna avoid any problems:

1. Always follow the directions
    2. When jail breaking, make sure you free up as much of your computer's resources as possible. Its good to have a decent computer when doing this stuff. (I had a friend who had a shitty computer who jail broke and his iPhone crapped out on him)
    3. When in doubt, ask. The people at this forum are very helpful people. They certainly helped me!
    4. never rush. Always double and triple check your progress when time allows (which is always when jail breaking)

Jailbroken since 1.0 with only minor annoyances (no ringtone, visual voicemail crash) but all problems were fixed with a restore and rejailbreak. i say just do it.

Thanks

ive done it for every firmware since 1.1.1, and back in those days jailbreaking was a hell of allot more risky than it is now.

also, any problem i have ever run into i have managed to fix, with help mainly from MMi and a couple others...

IMO it is definetely worth it. unlocking my phone to see the same old boring icons every day is enough by itself to make me jailbreak
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker