Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: quickpwn vs winpwn - what's the diff?

Default quickpwn vs winpwn - what's the diff?
    can someone quickly tell me the main differences between the two?

why choose one over the other?

Default quickpwn vs winpwn
    Quickpwn updates the software on your iphone to jailbreak it, install cydia and installer app and unlock it (if you select the options), this is why you simply update using iTunes, then jailbreak using Quickpwn.

Winpwn allows you to create a custom ipsw, so that you can not only add cydia, installer, but any other application you want. For example if you already had customize2 you could build an ipsw that contains it so you don't have to download it from the iphone again. Winpwn also let you modify many other parameters like the partition size, bootneuter and much more stuff.

Quickpwn is fast because it doesn't require a ipsw restore, but it will not let you customize your ipsw. Winpwn is powerful but will take longer to install because of the additional ipsw restore.

Hope this helps!

mattr.

Quote Originally Posted by mattr12 View Post
    Winpwn allows you to create a custom ipsw, so that you can not only add cydia, installer, but any other application you want. For example if you already had customize2 you could build an ipsw that contains it so you don't have to download it from the iphone again. Winpwn also let you modify many other parameters like the partition size, bootneuter and much more stuff.
    so what you're saying is, when you build your custom ipsw, you can keep all your programs you downloaded??? so when you upgrade, you don't have to go in installer and re-install everything you once had?

also, you mentioned other programs aside from installer and cydia. what other programs are you referring to? can't you get everything through installer and cydia?

also, normally when you update your firmware, do you lose all your contacts and games?

Quote Originally Posted by lazer View Post
    so what you're saying is, when you build your custom ipsw, you can keep all your programs you downloaded??? so when you upgrade, you don't have to go in installer and re-install everything you once had?

also, you mentioned other programs aside from installer and cydia. what other programs are you referring to? can't you get everything through installer and cydia?

also, normally when you update your firmware, do you lose all your contacts and games?
    Yes but i've never done it, so I may be wrong on how to do it. But I think all you have to do is to download the applications you want to keep for example Winterboard and MXTube, using ssh to your PC. Those are in the /private/var/stash/Applications.xyz folder. So download Winterboard.app MXTube.app folders to your pc. Then create a .tar file that contains those two folders. That will be your "custom payload" when you use Winpwn click on the "Custom payload" tab, and add that .tar file before you build the ipsw. Then when you build the ipsw those applications will be put back on your phone so you don't have to donwload them again.

If anyone has done that and knows the exact procedure, please document! If I do it later this week i'll let you know how that works.

I haven't done a firmware update via winpwn, just downloaded 2.0.2 via iTunes, didn't lose any contact, then used QUICKPWN and didn't lose anything either.

I don't remember if using winpwn i lost everything, but i had to restore via itunes because I broke my phone and i had nothing when the iphone came back up. Good thing I backed up all contacts sms etc before

Yes but i've never done it, so I may be wrong on how to do it. But I think all you have to do is to download the applications you want to keep for example Winterboard and MXTube, using ssh to your PC. Those are in the /private/var/stash/Applications.xyz folder. So download Winterboard.app MXTube.app folders to your pc. Then create a .tar file that contains those two folders. That will be your "custom payload" when you use Winpwn click on the "Custom payload" tab, and add that .tar file before you build the ipsw. Then when you build the ipsw those applications will be put back on your phone so you don't have to donwload them again.

If anyone has done that and knows the exact procedure, please document! If I do it later this week i'll let you know how that works.

I haven't done a firmware update via winpwn, just downloaded 2.0.2 via iTunes, didn't lose any contact, then used QUICKPWN and didn't lose anything either.

I don't remember if using winpwn i lost everything, but i had to restore via itunes because I broke my phone and i had nothing when the iphone came back up. Good thing I backed up all contacts sms etc before
    how do you backup? through iTunes? can you back up using winpwn too?

how come you're using quickpwn? don't care about baseband stuff?

how do you backup? through iTunes? can you back up using winpwn too?

how come you're using quickpwn? don't care about baseband stuff?
    No you ssh into the phone (there are many posts which explain how to do this), then backup the applications. I will try later today or tomorrow and let you know if it works.

I've done all this on a 2.0.1 3G and 2.0.2 2G, so the quickpwn was done on the 2G and winpwn on 3G

No you ssh into the phone (there are many posts which explain how to do this), then backup the applications. I will try later today or tomorrow and let you know if it works.
    That would be way cool - please let me know if this works. It's a real pain re-installing the apps whenever I do a Pwn installation...

Thanks!

I've done all this on a 2.0.1 3G and 2.0.2 2G, so the quickpwn was done on the 2G and winpwn on 3G
    i meant backup stuff like your contacts and appstore purchases...not native apps from installer or cydia

Yeah so i've done backup of the app store apps and non-app store apps. I've had some problems with permissions, it's hard to know it's a permission problem when the app seems to crash. I've had very strange behavior from iTunes and the iPhone where the iPhone told me that I had updates for almost all of my apps, but iTunes disagreed. I also had a weird behavior with the camera roll, and some applications wouldn't work at all.

So what I found works best is to backup the iPhone using iTunes, this will backup your official apps & everything. Then backup the non-official apps, and your pictures using ssh. Then restore the official apps using iTunes, then restore the non-official apps and pictures using ssh, and chmod 777 all the non-offical stuff & pictures. That worked for me, everything works fine.

You have to reboot after you do all the restores & chmods.

mattr (who disabled 3G because Edge is faster where I live)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mattr12 For This Useful Post:

crashnburn_in (2008-11-26)

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

i meant backup stuff like your contacts and appstore purchases...not native apps from installer or cydia
    Whenever you sync to iTunes, it backs up your phone.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

Great write up. Thanks.

I dont have / want to backup any non-native apps.

Only want to backup the following: Does iTunes take care of it all?

- Contacts (gone to Outlook via iTunes)
    - Calendars (Did not check if this worked too)
    - Notes (??)
    - SMSs (??)
    - Pictures (Can be done manually, easily)

??

Yeah so i've done backup of the app store apps and non-app store apps. I've had some problems with permissions, it's hard to know it's a permission problem when the app seems to crash. I've had very strange behavior from iTunes and the iPhone where the iPhone told me that I had updates for almost all of my apps, but iTunes disagreed. I also had a weird behavior with the camera roll, and some applications wouldn't work at all.

So what I found works best is to backup the iPhone using iTunes, this will backup your official apps & everything. Then backup the non-official apps, and your pictures using ssh. Then restore the official apps using iTunes, then restore the non-official apps and pictures using ssh, and chmod 777 all the non-offical stuff & pictures. That worked for me, everything works fine.

You have to reboot after you do all the restores & chmods.

mattr (who disabled 3G because Edge is faster where I live)