Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stuck at pineapple after Pwn?? Read.....

I followed those "golden" rules in my last attempt last night, I never synced. The new phone kill occured, as always, after installing an app using Cydia.

Yeah, I'll stay away from the heavy system level apps, but isn't Cydia one itself?

Why can't you close Cydia using the "hold down home button for 5 seconds" to reset to the Springboard? You can do it with every other app. Is cydia running in the background?

Anyway it's pretty clear that the problems are due to either the Jailbreak itself or the installation process using Cydia. I have never had a problem if I don't jailbreak the phone, never using Installer and never using an app unless it was installed via Cydia and the phone had not had a successful reset.

Is it Cydia? Hard to say, sure seems so, but I can only speak to what I observe, something else may be the cause underlying. But it's NOT Apple imo since everything works fine before jailbreak and running Cydia to install apps.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to santiagodraco For This Useful Post:

h0nd0 (2008-09-01), OneRing2Rule (2008-09-01)

Thanks

I have had Cydia hang a couple of times liek that after installing an app but I am always able to get things to work by doing a hard reboot (hold power and home simultaneously until the screen goes black and powers back up. It taks a LONG time to rebbot while I hold my breath (I usually put the phone down and go away to do something else) When I come back the phone back to life.

I have also found that its usually helpful to occasionally reboot the phone after several app installations. Most importantly to reboot after the initial jailbreak after Cydia reorganizes the files.While it is not required, it seems to help.
    Last edited by bhz1; 2008-08-31 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

OneRing2Rule (2008-09-01)

If you have that happen and get to where the reboot takes forever, then it will always take forever in my experience. Plus, it may simply never return... I can't be on the road with a phone that may reset and not boot

But yeah, I was also rebooting often during installs. I'll say this, I can install every single App Store app with out any problems. The machine can lock, unlock, etc etc, and never once has it caused a system crash. I've had Installer lockup a couple of times (well not able to complete a task) and I've simply used the default "hold home for 5 seconds) to kill the app, with no ramifications.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to santiagodraco For This Useful Post:

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post
    If you have that happen and get to where the reboot takes forever, then it will always take forever in my experience. Plus, it may simply never return... I can't be on the road with a phone that may reset and not boot

But yeah, I was also rebooting often during installs. I'll say this, I can install every single App Store app with out any problems. The machine can lock, unlock, etc etc, and never once has it caused a system crash. I've had Installer lockup a couple of times (well not able to complete a task) and I've simply used the default "hold home for 5 seconds) to kill the app, with no ramifications.

That's what happened to me. I even let the last stuck boot sit there over night. When I woke up it was still on the pineapple. After much trial and error I found the best way was to go slow and do the one at a time method. I've been going strong with no problems or hangs ever since. So yes I was very happy to find this thread to confirm our collective findings.

I'm reading around, and it appears their may be yet another fix that doest require a full restore. Check this out.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/cydia-s...ml#post1885231

and (supposed to work with iphone's too)

Now Stickied:[DUMMIES GUIDE] How To Fix An iPhod Stuck On Boot Logo W/O Restoring - iPod touch Fans forum

This is good to know, because I fear I might be on the road some day with a stuck brick. Hopefully this other work around saves the day. I never used to leave my SSH running, but I guess I'll go ahead and change my root password, and leave SSH running as my back door fix option.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JazJon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    There is a glitch in which apps that are installed will cause this hangup. Restore your Iphone FIRST leaving everything off of it (no apps, etc.) and then proceed to pwn away.

So far this has fixed every hangup I have encountered.
    Pretty much defeats the whole purpose of QuickPwn. If you're going to have to restore anyways, may as well just use Pwnage.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Pretty much defeats the whole purpose of QuickPwn. If you're going to have to restore anyways, may as well just use Pwnage.
    I'm new with the jailbreak game. I usually prefer to be stable vs having a few extra fun hacked toys with the added possibility of bein unstable.. What sold me on going for it was how easy quickpwn was, and the must have video apps out there. I like spoofapp too, very fun.

While I haven't given regular pwnage a huge amount of research, it wasn't obvious how to use Pwnage my first few casual attempts. It sounded like it required you to manually put the hacked firmware into itunes to let it restore. I'll have to read more FAQ's on how Pwnage works vs QuickPwn. For now I'll use what works for me, but I agree that it's not necessarily the only option to get things done if we have to do a full restore anyway. If we have to start from scratch both ways, which method is faster?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JazJon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well the Dev Team has recommended that if you want the possibility of unlocking your phone in the future, any upgrade should always been Pwn'd. Pwnage doesn't require that the firmware be placed in iTunes. It simply takes the regular firmware and customizes it so you can do your upgrade/jailbreak/activate all in one step through iTunes.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

iPhone? More like MyPhone techgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Guys I too have been facing the spinning wheel issue, but have been able to resolve by turning the off (hard reset, then turn off), then plugging in to an outlet, not my computer. It takes about 5 min, but the screen comes back. I thought it was the number of apps I have, unsure...

Techgirl at your service... Modding MyPhone since Day 1!

AIM: lindseycholmes
    Facebook: lindseycholmes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techgirl View Post
    Guys I too have been facing the spinning wheel issue, but have been able to resolve by turning the off (hard reset, then turn off), then plugging in to an outlet, not my computer. It takes about 5 min, but the screen comes back. I thought it was the number of apps I have, unsure...
    I had mine plugged into the outlet charger when I let the pineapple screen sit there all night long for over 8 hours. It never worked no matter how long I waited or how many times I hard reset.

I've been rock solid all weekend long ever since I followed the new golden rules.

Upgraded to the new Cydia yesterday. I've installed a BUNCH of apps via Cydia and so far no problems whatsoever....

I'm tempted to restore my phone/Jailbreak, mass install iTunes apps and then install Cydia and some apps.

But so far it's looking like the problem was with Cydia (or at least Cydia having issues with 2.0.1/2 or something).

But so far so good, I slept well last night!

Yeah, I havent relied heavily on Cydia, mostly for Winterboard which has been working perfect so far and a few other little changes.

Quote Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post
    Upgraded to the new Cydia yesterday. I've installed a BUNCH of apps via Cydia and so far no problems whatsoever....

But so far it's looking like the problem was with Cydia (or at least Cydia having issues with 2.0.1/2 or something).
    I am still having issues even with the new Cydia. I updated Cydia yesterday, it looked like it was going to crash, but the phone magically reset on its own and made it past the apple logo.

Today I tried installing BossPrefs, a "light" app, and it locked up on me again. (The little wheel at the top froze and it rebooted a few minutes later, staying on the apple screen. I can't SSH into it either.)

ANY IDEAS?
    Last edited by h0nd0; 2008-09-03 at 01:33 AM.

Thanks

did you disable itunes backup? I did. I wont let itunes install a single app until I hear the problems are cleared up. I also let my Cydia update and so far so good. I've installed at least 5 screens worth of mostly appstore and cydia apps with no delay hangs or hard core freezeups yet. I've seen Cydia crash a few times, but I can relaunch it right way with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    did you disable itunes backup? I did. I wont let itunes install a single app until I hear the problems are cleared up. I also let my Cydia update and so far so good. I've installed at least 5 screens worth of mostly appstore and cydia apps with no delay hangs or hard core freezeups yet. I've seen Cydia crash a few times, but I can relaunch it right way with no issues.
    I just finished restoring my phone from the crash. I decided to install BossPrefs this time before I ran a backup or synced my music and apps in iTunes. This time it worked! Cool. Now hopefully after I sync my music and apps, I can still install new things from Cydia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h0nd0 View Post
    I just finished restoring my phone from the crash. I decided to install BossPrefs this time before I ran a backup or synced my music and apps in iTunes. This time it worked! Cool. Now hopefully after I sync my music and apps, I can still install new things from Cydia.
    Yup that is the key here, need to not let it sync right after the restore, jailbreak, install all the main Cydia apps you want first, then ony install apps through the appstore on the iphone. Hopefully the rumored new itunes 8.x and firmware 2.1 will address all the other issues in a few weeks.

Thats no fun though.

Blew up my iphone twice this week.

Right now im rebuilding my itouch, blew it up just a bit ago

ah... mine just locked up after I selected "reset all" in the settings.. thinking that it would erase all my contacts that I had on the iphone. What do i do?
    http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/4/3/20/f_neweststsm_cb09d96.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12