Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: jailbreak my rogers 3G iPhone - few questions

Default jailbreak my rogers 3G iPhone - few questions
    Alright, I have a Rogers 3G iPhone and I think I am going to jailbreak my iPhone. However, there are a few questions I need answered before I can muster the courage.

1. My iPhone is currently running 2.0.1 firmware (5B108). Could I use WinPWN to jailbreak it while the phone has 2.0.1 firmware running on it or do I have to downgrade it to 2.0 or lower before I can use WinPWN to jailbreak the phone.

2. I see a lot of tutorials out there for AT&T but not Rogers (I am a Canadian user). I have looked at several tutorials such as Winpwn 2.0 Guide - iPhone News & Review and iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your 2.0 3G iPhone (Windows) [Updated] but they all use AT&T. Are there any special or extra steps or even steps that I should omit from any of these tutorials to ensure that the first time around I jailbreak, my iPhone will continue to function normally?

3. Which of the above tutorials would you guys suggest I follow. All three seem good but I want your input - as experts on the issue I value your guys input.

4. Are there any Rogers Customers on this forum that have successfully jailbroken your iPhone? If so, please post here with any suggestions.

Thanks for your time guys.

Thanks

1)
    No you do not have to downgrade to 2.0.

2)
    Rogers is a legitimate iPhone carrier, therefore there are no extra steps.

3)
    Follow the iclarified guide exactly as it says. Seems to get everything right. Make sure the 'youtube fix' and 'activate phone' buttons are unticked.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

LivesForJihad (2008-08-14)

4) yup, easy peasy

I followed BigBoss' guide found here:

Winpwn 2.0 Guide - iPhone News & Review

some key points:

remember ATT = ROGERS

step 4: tick ON Cydia and Installer, tick OFF for YouTube fix
    step 6: no custom payloads
    step 7: NOTHING TICKED !!!!!! NOTHING !!!!!!
    step 8: set to 550MB

good luck !!! let us know

5. The Following User Says Thank You to monica_69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys, I am gonna try this tomorrow. You guys were a big help. I will indeed let you know how my stuff goes. Once again, thanks.

Edit: sorry I have 2 final questions before I begin. How does iTunes activate my phone? Like how does it know my carrier is rogers? I remember when setting up my account I had to enter my phone number and carrier and stuff. Is this how it activates my phone? Does it just get this information and activate for me or does my sim card do the work for me?

The guide says I need 3.9 and 4.6 bootloader. Why do I need both?

I just need this final question answered. Thanks
    Last edited by LivesForJihad; 2008-08-14 at 01:27 PM.

The firmware 5B108 is for the first generation iphone. Not the 3G. I am finding it weird that this is the firmware version on your 3G iphone.

Thanks

My 3G is running on 5B108.

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    Thanks guys, I am gonna try this tomorrow. You guys were a big help. I will indeed let you know how my stuff goes. Once again, thanks.

Edit: sorry I have 2 final questions before I begin. How does iTunes activate my phone? Like how does it know my carrier is rogers? I remember when setting up my account I had to enter my phone number and carrier and stuff. Is this how it activates my phone? Does it just get this information and activate for me or does my sim card do the work for me?

It should not ask you for your information again; when you restore to the firmware, itunes will check to see if you're on a legitimate contract (done automatically) and will then activate your phone. In short, yeah, your sim provides itunes the information needed, which in turn activates your phone.

You don't need the bootloaders since you can't actually unlock the new iphone yet. Since it won't let you proceed otherwise, might as well get them, can't do any harm.
    Last edited by 461am; 2008-08-14 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added picture.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monica_69 View Post
    remember ATT = ROGERS
    Umm.. huh?

Once your phone is Pwn'd it will already be activated, and you won't need to worry about iTunes. Bootneuter needs both loaders because it detects the one you have and uses the appropriate loader to neuter.

I'm on Rogers with a Pwn'd phone with zero problems.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-08-14 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

when I said ATT = ROGERS what I'm trying to say is treat any instructions regarding ATT the same as for ROGERS ie. already activated, etc.....hope that makes sense

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Once your phone is Pwn'd it will already be activated, and you won't need to worry about iTunes. Bootneuter needs both loaders because it detects the one you have and uses the appropriate loader to neuter.

I'm on Rogers with a Pwn'd phone with zero problems.
    That defeats the purpose. He wants itunes to activate his phone. If he forces it through pwnage, the phone will end up with no service.

I am following bigBoss' guide and at step 7, I cannot select the bootloaders. The boxes are just grey out, along with everything else (with exception to "Activate Phone" and "No Wipe") I am running windows XP.

The image in step 9 looks like what I have exactly (with exception to Vista) am I alriught to proceed or is there a problem here?

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your 2.0 3G iPhone (Windows) [Updated]

Edit: I have noticed the same thing here. Is it just a windows XP Thing?

it won't let me post the URL, it just turns to all ******* for some odd reason. just google search "Newbie’s Guide to WinPwn 2.0(.1) Jailbreak"
    Last edited by LivesForJihad; 2008-08-14 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    That defeats the purpose. He wants itunes to activate his phone. If he forces it through pwnage, the phone will end up with no service.
    Mine was activated via Pwnage and I have service. How does not activating through iTunes affect this?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

I am following bigBoss' guide and at step 7, I cannot select the bootloaders. The boxes are just grey out, along with everything else (with exception to "Activate Phone" and "No Wipe") I am running windows XP.

The image in step 9 looks like what I have exactly (with exception to Vista) am I alriught to proceed or is there a problem here?

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your 2.0 3G iPhone (Windows) [Updated]

Edit: I have noticed the same thing here. Is it just a windows XP Thing?

it won't let me post the URL, it just turns to all ******* for some odd reason. just google search "Newbies Guide to WinPwn 2.0(.1) Jailbreak"

Sorry guys I am just gonna bump this so people know there is another question. If I didn't do this I don't think I would get a response any time soon. Just read my quote, thats the question I need answered.

Thanks

It's like I told you, you leave both options blank, and the entire bootneuter area is blanked out because you're on the 3G iphone, and bootneuter does not run on it yet, so in short, you're doing fine and it's okay to proceed. Winpwn is identical in both xp and vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Mine was activated via Pwnage and I have service. How does not activating through iTunes affect this?
    If you choose to activate the new iphone through pwnage, it leaves you without any carrier service. I don't know how else to explain this to you.
    Last edited by 461am; 2008-08-14 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

Nice, everything works great, I have my carrier, I can make calls, connect to WiFi.

Just 2 last questions:

1. I am assuming youtube is safe to use?
    2. Where can I get VNSea?

otherwise, Thanks everyone!

Thanks

You can use youtube just fine.
    There's a pretty good vnc client in the app store. Mocha VNC lite, it's functionality is somewhat limited, but it is free.

sorry guys new with this and just need help. if i also have rogers carrier can i jailbreak my 3g version 2.1(5f136) . can anyone help

Quote Originally Posted by 1MILE View Post
    sorry guys new with this and just need help. if i also have rogers carrier can i jailbreak my 3g version 2.1(5f136) . can anyone help
    Use quickpwn for windows

blog.iphone-dev.org | Redmond, we have a Pwnapple!