Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: upgrading to 2.0.1

Default upgrading to 2.0.1
    i am upgrading from 1.1.4 to 2.0.1 and i just wanted to no, do i have to uninstall everything that i have added before, also after i have upgraded do i have to set up as a new phone or not?
    many thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

I would like to know this also. I'm in the same situation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JP101's Avatar
    Thanks

When you upgrade it, it clears everything off the phone and starts it up as a new phone. You'll lose your applications and everything that's installed on your phone. It sucks, especially since you are starting from scratch, but it is well worth it. Its faster, better functionality, and features push (if you have mobileme). The only problem thus far, that is changing every day, is the applications on cydia are not as full on 1.1.4 as it was on 2.0.1. They are still being ported over every day, and the list grows for applications every day.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So is it okay to update through itunes? You know that box that pops up when you plug it in or am I supposed to go about it differently?

Quote Originally Posted by rwfanatic View Post
    So is it okay to update through itunes? You know that box that pops up when you plug it in or am I supposed to go about it differently?
    if you have a unlocked iphone you cant, you have to use winpwn or Pwnage software.

u have to restore so u will be loosing all ur 1.1.4 applications and music library. after restore u can restore ur address book notes calender , messages from ur back up...

A.W.Surveys The New Survey Experience

try this and u can earn something

iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

you will need to create Custom Firmware with either Winpwn or Pwnage tool depending if you use a mac or pc.

Once youve done this you can then restore through itunes.

I think youll need to put in DFU mode if your going from 1.1,4 to 2.0,1.

Id recomend searching the forum and doing a little hework first.

IphoneCrazy
    /Marc

homework*

homework*
    Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 2008-08-14 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You can trust yourself, it can be done, when I first started, I had a 1.0.2 september phone, I gradually went to 1.1.4 and now to 2.0.1 which was by far the easyest to do.
    Back up your contacts, then install winpwn and restore in itunes (putting it in DFU mode first). Read on this forum and proceed, you'll do fine..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rozzaboy92 View Post
    if you have a unlocked iphone you cant, you have to use winpwn or Pwnage software.
    My iphone is unlocked/jailbroken but I'm using a AT&T sim so shouldn't I be okay to update through itunes?

iPhone? More like MyPhone JP101's Avatar
    Thanks

no. You are using an app that iTunes doesn't accept so you will unjailbreak it. If you update through iTunes you will have to jailbreak it again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Numberzz's Avatar
    Thanks

Use Pwnage Tool/Winpwn and make a custom 2.0.1 firmware. Then back up your iPhone with iTunes, and then restore to the custom firmware you just created. All of the applications and customizations you installed will no longer be installed. Just install them again.
    "Now everyone calm the hell down and let me think about how to clean up your mess, while you build me a monument dedicated to how awesome I am."

MacBook Pro + iPhone 3GS