Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help! Please? :(

Default Help! Please? :(
    Hi all.

So, I got an iPhone for Christmas 07, unlocked previously. Plugged it into my mac and decided it would be a good idea to update the software. Wrong. After a few days of looking I managed to jailbreak my phone and update it to 1.1.2, successfully. Quite the feat for me, I'm normally technologically illiterate.

Over the following months, new firmwares were released, as I'm sure you're all aware. But, not wanting to tempt fate, I left my little iPhone as it was, content with its many pleasures, even without the shiny newness that comes with an update.

Recently however, I began to get a niggling feeling of annoyance when I came to realise that I was many firmware versions behind. Tonight I tried to update to 2.0.1 using pwnage. And I really regret it.

Everything seemed to go according to plan, until while using pwnage (the latest version) I wasn't asked to manually find the bootloaders, however I first overlooked this thinking it was better to not have to look for them. Everything else went fine, until it came time to do the custom restore using iTunes. When I pressed the option key and clicked restore, no finder box came up for me to search for my custom .ipsw. I tried this numerous times and nothing happened.

I decided that maybe I should restore it fully and start from there. However, when I tried this I got error 9, and was told that I could not restore my phone.

At the moment my phone is in either dfu (?) or recovery mode. The screen is all black and nothing happens when I hold buttons down, push buttons etc. I tried to use pwnage again but when it asks me to turn off my phone to put it into DFU mode, nothing happens, because my phone appears off, or just dead. It's connected via usb and comes up in itunes but only in recovery mode, still can't select my custom .ispw either.

It seems I've gotten myself into quite the sucky situation. I'd be EXTREMELY grateful to anyone who could help me out. Cheers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

make sure you hold home and power until the phone powers off then after two secs let go of power and keep holding home until your pc recognizes it only if you can at this point
    go to ipodtouched.net and get the custom firmwares from there and use those for your iphone. good luck man those firmwares have done wonders for my pals
    Last edited by pokekid; 2008-08-13 at 07:00 AM.
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Thanks for the help.

So, ok, I managed to restore it successfully but I still can't get the option/click restore set up to work.

Tried going to ipodtouched.net but it says the account has been suspended.

I'm pretty stuck here. I just can't go any further without manually choosing my firmware, which i can't do for some unknown reason!!

I heard something about ipwn-ing iTunes, do I need to do this?

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

yes you need to pwn itunes in order to load the custom firmware
    Last edited by pokekid; 2008-08-13 at 07:37 AM.
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Now that you've restored it, follow this guide to unlock and jailbreak.

Did you even press SHIFT when clicking itune's restore?

Yeah, I pressed OPTION because I'm a mac user. I think I explained that. It's just not working whatever I do. Tried downgrading iTunes. Nothing. Tried unintalling and reintsalling 7.7, nothing. I'm really lost.

I'll try the other tutorial that was suggested but at this stage I'm doubtful. How can I pwn iTunes? Can't find anything on that.

I appreciate all the help by the way, just not appreciating a wise *** comment when I explained that I already pressed OPTION and NOTHING happened but the usual restore and update. I wasn't able to choose my own custom firmware. If this sounds cranky, I'm sorry. I'm furstrated and bitter lol

Yeah, I pressed OPTION because I'm a mac user. I think I explained that. It's just not working whatever I do. Tried downgrading iTunes. Nothing. Tried unintalling and reintsalling 7.7, nothing. I'm really lost.

I'll try the other tutorial that was suggested but at this stage I'm doubtful. How can I pwn iTunes? Can't find anything on that.

I appreciate all the help by the way, just not appreciating a wise *** comment when I explained that I already pressed OPTION and NOTHING happened but the usual restore and update. I wasn't able to choose my own custom firmware. If this sounds cranky, I'm sorry. I'm furstrated and bitter lol

I appreciate all the help by the way, just not appreciating a wise *** comment when I explained that I already pressed OPTION and NOTHING happened but the usual restore and update. I wasn't able to choose my own custom firmware. If this sounds cranky, I'm sorry. I'm furstrated and bitter lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip View Post
    Now that you've restored it, follow this guide to unlock and jailbreak.
    Ok, trying this to Unlock, but when I got to search for the file BL-39.bin, pwnage tells me that it's not the right file. Tried redownloading the bootloaders but that didn't work.
    Last edited by Tinks; 2008-08-13 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost