Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: error 6 and no DFU

Angry error 6 and no DFU
    I tried to update my 2G phone using pwnage 2.0.2. Everything seemed to be going well until the DFU stage.
    I am left with a phone that I can't get into DFU (I can get the apple icon up but it immediately changes to recovery mode). If I try itunes it detects the phone but in recovery mode. If I try restore I get error 6.
    From my reading the forums this is a common problem but I haven't found a solution for macs. I have try downgrading itunes, removing apple remote devices, different cables different usb ports etc with no effect.
    iliberty doesn't see the iphone and nor does iphone
    Can anyone help: my phone is bricked!!!! Actually it is my wife's which is even worse!!!!!!!

worst case sceanio, as ive done 4 times already.. . after you load your custom firmware and it gives your error 6. ... (should just be called Error 666, but anyways..

Just shift + click restore, and load it with the standard iPhone1,1_2.0.1_5B108_Restore. At leaste the phone will still work..

Ive had some problems with mine too, getting it to get past the final stage... dont know why yet... ya..

I tried that. I still get error 6. With pwnage I can't get to the install stage as I can't get into DFU!!

Thanks

Ive done so many jailbreak/unlocks on my xp machine and never had an issue but I just upgraded my son's iPhone on his Vista desktop and trieved several times unsuccessfully to install the custom firmware. Error 6, error, 1600, error 1601. Could not get that darn system to recognize teh phone in DFU mode. Took it downstairs to my XP system and first try, success.

My feeling on Vista is that it has something to do with user controls and accounts. I runas admin. on my XP system. Also, on my other son;s Vista setup he did his new 3G with no problem but he has user account control disabled. As far as Macs go, I'm clueless, but do they have some kind of administrator or user privilege accounts?

I am the administrator on my mac. I have also tried 2 different macs

if I try restore to 1.1.4 in itunes I get unknown error
    Last edited by ploc; 2008-08-11 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

DFU MODE IS A BLANK SCREEN, NOT THE LOGO WITH THE USB WIRE <--- important

Is your iPhone/iPod connected to your computer via USB?

Please answer (y/n): answer y

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is your iPhone currently powered on?

Please answer (y/n): answer n

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

!!! Your device should now be off. If it is not, please make sure it is before proceeding!

Timing is crucial for the following tasks. I will ask you to do the following (DON'T START YET):

1. Press and hold down the power button for 2 seconds

2. Without letting go of the power button, press and hold down the power AND home buttons for ten seconds

3. Without letting go of the home button, release the power button

4. Wait 30 seconds while holding down the home button

Try to get the timing as correct as possible, but don't fret if you miss it by a few seconds. It might still work, and if it doesn't, you can always try again.

If you fail, you can always just turn the phone completely off by holding power and home for ten seconds, then pushing power to turn it back on.

Are you ready to begin?

Please answer (y/n): answer y

Beginning process in 5 seconds...

Beginning process in 4 seconds...

Beginning process in 3 seconds...

Beginning process in 2 seconds...

Beginning process in 1 seconds...

Press and hold down the POWER button (you should now be just holding the power button)

1... 2...

Press and hold down the HOME button, DO NOT LET GO OF THE POWER BUTTON (you should now be just holding both the power and home buttons)

... 10... 9... 8... 7...6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Release the POWER button, DO NOT LET GO OF THE HOME BUTTON (you should now be just holding the home button)

... 30... 29... 28... 27... 26... 25... 24... 23... 22... 21... 20...

Congratulations! You have successfully entered DFU mode. Please wait while your iPhone/iPod is being prepared to accept custom IPSWs...

Please use iTunes to restore your iPhone/iPod with a custom IPSW now. You may now let go of the home button.

/edited from xpwn

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rasbill For This Useful Post:

miikeo (2008-08-12)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

lol "rasbill" i like your style, if you cant put an iphone in DFU mode, you should not be trying to mod one, full stop.......

Thanks, Tried that. The phone screen went black (no icons at all) and itunes started with phone saying phone was in recovery mode. I tried both 2.0.1 and 1.1.4 and got unknown error 1600. I tried the custom IPSW that pwnage created originally and got unknown error. If I try to put it into DFU with pwnage running it either doesn't work or when it does work pwnage doesn't detect the change. ilibertyx also doesn't see it when it is in DFU

HOLY CRAP RASBILL! i love u man, it worked! i didnt try the 3G yet, but i experimented on my 2G and it worked. all i did was follow ur steps and just hoped for the best. everyone follow what he said and it will work, the screen should be black. if it doesnt u should just try again.

alright, just did the 3G, gave me some trouble at the beginning but it worked. as it is restoring from the backup, it'll give u a message saying "activation alert". dont worry about it, well atleast for me i didnt. after the restore my phone working perfectly fine. thanks again rasbill.
    Last edited by veritas12983; 2008-08-12 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

rasbill
    you must be funny guy! ))
    but i also have problem to get DFU mode when I am already on 2.0.2 firmware

I dont have problem sto get in dfu on iTunes 7.6.2 and restoring to 1.1.4 on second time!

On itunes 7.7.0 (or 7.7.1) there is something different!!! even I do the most precise on seconds! no luck...

2.0.2 i need to restore again because of bugs: like iPod no content, sync timed out(iphone is not recognised by iTunes - nothing of google.com helped!!!)

so nice guide to get in to dfu mode, but this works shen you have 1.1.4 to 2.0.x
    elsenot!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Well I was running on a pwned 2.0 then 2.0.1 now 2.0.2
    The reason I am suggesting this method and to use WinPwn 2.5 is all other tools prior to this now arent as sufficient, just try this way its worked for me about 5 phones now.

In winpwn 2.5 after building the custom ipsw when it asks you if your phone is off click the thumbs up or down to begin process:

make sure phone is plugged in and on the home screen, itunes open
    (Hard DFU)
    Hold Home + Power for about 8 seconds (approx one second after screen goes black)

Release Power still holding home until your computer recognizes it (about 17 seconds and you hear "dun nuh" it will do it twice!)

then click "thumbs up (yes)" answer the following questions. then open itunes again and shift + restore to custom ipsw.

Note: I tried the other method stated in the directions and didnt get the proper results.