Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Error 6?

Default Error 6?
    Thanks all for the great comments on this forum. I'm stuck in DFU mode (pic of usb going up into iTunes). When I hit "Option" then "Restore", I pick the correct file to restore from, but I get an "Error 6" and it ejects the iPhone. I'm using 3g with 2.0.1 firmware. Help, please!!

follow the DFU method described by the application. I had the same issue and after many attempts it worked. when in DFU you will not see the usb cable and itune. the scree will be blank

how many times did you try to restore? I've tried to restore 5 times... I'm having no trouble getting into DFU mode... I just get all the way through the restore and get this "The iPhone "Iphone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6)" message.

it sounds like you are not in dfu mode

on a 2.0 phone you need to hold the sleep button until it asks you to shut it down

once the phone is off hold sleep button and home button for 10 seconds

then let go of the sleep button and continue holding the home button until itunes recognizes it

Quote Originally Posted by matth943 View Post
    it sounds like you are not in dfu mode

on a 2.0 phone you need to hold the sleep button until it asks you to shut it down

once the phone is off hold sleep button and home button for 10 seconds

then let go of the sleep button and continue holding the home button until itunes recognizes it
    Yeah... I've done that each and every time. Would iTunes recoginze the iPhone and ask me to restore it if I got the timing wrong on the ten seconds?

Because I'm 99.9% certain I'm getting it into DFU mode

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mad_llib View Post
    Yeah... I've done that each and every time. Would iTunes recoginze the iPhone and ask me to restore it if I got the timing wrong on the ten seconds?

Because I'm 99.9% certain I'm getting it into DFU mode

I had this problem also but I am on 1st gen and a Mac and what seemed to work for me was that I had to make sure I was out of DFU mode and make sure i get into restore mode (not sure if you pwned before but I did and went into DFU mode instead of restore and i received error 1600.) Anyway, I removed Itunes and reinstalled it. IF you need to be in DFU mode here is a link. Need more information on your setup to help more....hope it helps...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTcKMZfyfk]YouTube - How to put your iPhone in DFU mode[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by trilogy069 View Post
    I had this problem also but I am on 1st gen and a Mac and what seemed to work for me was that I had to make sure I was out of DFU mode and make sure i get into restore mode (not sure if you pwned before but I did and went into DFU mode instead of restore and i received error 1600.) Anyway, I removed Itunes and reinstalled it. IF you need to be in DFU mode here is a link. Need more information on your setup to help more....hope it helps...

YouTube - How to put your iPhone in DFU mode
    He's right, i went through the same problem the first time i pwned my iphone first gen.
    I *hEaRt* my IpHoNe

http://twitter.com/#!/Loudmouth0

wanna be cool? Follow me

Quote Originally Posted by trilogy069 View Post
    Need more information on your setup to help more....hope it helps...
    I posted my similar problem, with all my details here:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/pwnage/...ml#post1786481

but here's my details:
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_llib View Post
    I know there are tons of people having problems with WinPwn, and I've searched but I cannot find a good solid answer to what is happening to me.

I'm running Windows XP, iTunes 7.7, WinPwn 2.0.0.4
    my iPhone WAS a 16gig v1.1.4 unlocked/jailbroken with iPhoneSimFree.com
    service with T-mobile

I built a custom IPSW and followed the instructions at: iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.0 2G iPhone (Windows)
    <<Selected to Install Youtube Fix and Installer>>
    <<Activate iPhone, Enable BaseBand Update, Neuter Bootloader, Unlock Baseband were all selected>>
    It successfully built the file.

My iPhone goes into restore... and iTunes goes through preppin it for the restore while my iPhone shows my new custom boot image that I selected.

After 5 minutes or so, I get an error from iTunes that says "The iPhone "Iphone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6)" and my iPhone has the image to plug in to iTunes.

I've tried the restore 4 times now, I guess I'll try rebuilding my IPSW file, but does anyone know what I should do now? I'm kinda stuck in an unhappy place.
    I have tried rebuilding the IPSW and am getting the same problem. If I uninstall iTunes and reinstall it, I'm going to lose all my contacts and stuff aren't I? Crap.

I'm also currently running iTunes 7.7.0.43 should I be on 7.7.1?

I just had the SAME problem 10 minutes back. Here is how I fixed it:-
    1) Restored Again with the Original iPhone 2.0.1 firmware through iTunes
    2) After that, the Unlock is retained, But iTunes will complain about Activation!
    3) Now you can startup the Pwnage tool again, This time you WILL be able to go to DFU successfully.
    4) Good luck!

Btw, after pwning, setup as a new phone in itunes, your apps will still sync.
    Last edited by vinodis; 2008-08-09 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by vinodis View Post
    I just had the SAME problem 10 minutes back. Here is how I fixed it:-
    1) Restored Again with the Original iPhone 2.0.1 firmware through iTunes
    2) After that, the Unlock is retained, But iTunes will complain about Activation!
    3) Now you can startup the Pwnage tool again, This time you WILL be able to go to DFU successfully.
    4) Good luck!

Btw, after pwning, setup as a new phone in itunes, your apps will still sync.
    Did you restore using the same IPSW that we used as a base to build the custom firmware? or just not hold option when you click restore?

And even with my new build, everything works but I seem to "time out" during the "preparing iphone software for restore"

I have gotten past that by DFU restoring the unmodified IPSW file... now I should try to re-DFU and do the exact same thing with my custom file? Because I am getting the same error again when I try to DFU load a custom IPSW after doing it with the unmodified one (which did complain about my SIM card)

I've tried even doing a standard iTunes restore... that restore worked fine, but I cannot get my custom firmware to load past that damn "preparing iphone software for restore"
    Last edited by mad_llib; 2008-08-09 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hmmm...interesting. First, please allow me to say how brilliant I think the people are that can figure out the hacks and bring options to us neophytes so we can have options. Bravo.

I'm afraid that I long for the ZiPhone simplicity...I will continue to try, though. I am addicted, even though it's a bit frustrating!

Did you restore using the same IPSW that we used as a base to build the custom firmware? or just not hold option when you click restore?
    I restored using the stock 2.0.1 firmware. By clicking on option-restore click.

And even with my new build, everything works but I seem to "time out" during the "preparing iphone software for restore"
    It did not happen to me. Maybe you should close other programs like Pwnage while doing this. Just try closing and re-opening iTunes before you try this.
    I have gotten past that by DFU restoring the unmodified IPSW file... now I should try to re-DFU and do the exact same thing with my custom file? Because I am getting the same error again when I try to DFU load a custom IPSW after doing it with the unmodified one (which did complain about my SIM card)
    Perfect!.. Now you can put your iPhone again in DFU by doing all the button-circus. Once it has gone to the DFU mode, close and re-open iTunes , which will tell that it needs to be restored et all.. Just [option-restore] the Pwned image this time.

I've tried even doing a standard iTunes restore... that restore worked fine, but I cannot get my custom firmware to load past that damn "preparing iphone software for restore"
    Try making a new one Or if nothing works, try downloading the pre-prepared one from RapidShare or elsewhere (Not so recommended though).

thank for the help i thought i broke my iphone

Folks, thanks for all the help. I was finally able to get it done by CAREFULLY getting it into DFU mode. That apparently was my problem from the start. Seems to be working fine now.

Thanks

I got Error 6 when I experimented and tried to do shift update with my custom ipsw on my previously pwned 1.1.4. I tried again with shift-restore (no DFU) mode and it worked like a charm. Only problem is Installer tells me error file doesnt exist when I load up the app list, but I use Cydia anyway mostly and that works great.

I got the same problem and have tried everything but no luck.

I had it first pwn'd alright from 2.0 to 2.0.1 custom. But then it seems that I need the no activation option to get service (I'm on Rogers). Recreated 2.0.1 custom, and DFU'd, getting my first error 6.

Okay, I read somewhere saying that I need to restore it back to the original firmware before flashing it with no activation custom firmware. I tried 2.0 but had no luck. It would not finish and gave error 1304. Realizing issues with downgrading, I was forced to put on 2.0.1 original. That worked, but now my baseband is also updated .

Then retrying custom from this point and on, keep getting error 6. Restarted, reinstalled iTunes... just wouldn't go thru. See if someone here figures this out.

In case you think I didn't DFU correct, trust me that's not the case. DFU driver is definitely loaded each time. It just wouldn't get pass error 6.

Error 6 with winpwn.
    root partition: ~1000MB will fix error 6.

Tried it with that Didn't work either

yea im having the same probelm, when i hit shift restore, it gives the error 6 after preparing the restore. i've tried about 20 times, with about 5 different phones. i spent aout 5 hours figuring it out, but came up with nothing.

Guys,

I fixed error 6. It seems that error 6 is a problem related to the ipsw, unless you don't know how to DFU.

If you still have error 6, play with your image. I tried different root size, and different cydia / installer / youtube fix combination and seemingly some combinations give error 6. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast