Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Accidentally tried to pwn my locked 1.1.4 - Now Phone won't Restore - Please Help

Default Accidentally tried to pwn my locked 1.1.4 - Now Phone won't Restore - Please Help
    Hey guys, this is a little embarassing. I used the Pwnage 2.0 guide for unlocked 1.1.4 phones on my locked 1.1.4 phone on accident (i was mixed up and this one hadn't been unlocked first).

iTunes says it's in "recovery mode" but when I use the created ipsw file to "restore" it, it gives me an error saying that it isn't restored.

I downloaded (but did not install) the 2.0 software via iTunes. When it got to the part where it's supposed to restore using the modded ipsw, it gives an error when trying to restore, saying it can't be restored. I'm on 10.5 Leopard.

I tried running ZiPhone to try to fix it, but it didn't really run so I killed it after about 8 minutes. Please help, as any help would be appreciated so that I don't have a bricked iPhone. I wish the PwnageTool checked to see if it was locked!

OK, try this:

This is a link for the pwnage 2.0 guide:

Pwnage 2.0 Guide - iPhone News & Review

Just follow every step and you should be OK.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hiflyer For This Useful Post:

zakiu (2008-08-03)

Make sure you made the .ipsw file in the current version on pwnage or you get 1600 type errors. If you want 1.1.4 make sure you pwning the right file with the right program. pwnage 2.0 is not to good with 1.1.4 or sooner.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowck5000 For This Useful Post:

zakiu (2008-08-03)

Thanks for your help guys, but I am a little confused.

I followed the walkthrough for unlocked phones, here:
    Pwnage 2.0 Guide - ModMyI - Wiki

The option-restore step didn't work. My phone currently is displaying an ipod plug with an arrow pointing to an itunes logo on it. In iTunes it says that the phone is in restore mode, but when I click option+restore and select the Pwnage .ipsw file, it won't restore.

So I can't follow that first walkthrough, because it asks me to upgrade to 2.0 and I can't restore according to the option-restore error. Is it safe to try to just click restore in iTunes? When the phone last restarted, it had the pineapple logo. Should I use the restore guide? I'm worried I'll make the scenario worse or brick the phone.

To Put your phone into DFU mode:
    1. Connect to your computer, hold the power and home buttons down for 10 seconds
    2. As soon as the iPhone powers off, (black screen) release the power button (but keep holding the home button down). (If you see the apple logo or connect to itunes logo you are not in DFU mode so try it again)
    3. After about 20 seconds or less, Itunes should see your iphone. It is now safe to release the home button, and your iPhone is in DFU mode.
    Now iTunes should ask you to restore its firmware.

Restore to your stock 2.0 and then use the pwnage 2.0 for the jailbreak.

good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hiflyer For This Useful Post:

zakiu (2008-08-03)

Thanks for the clarification hiflyer! One catch though is that I want to unlock the phone too. Can I unlock the phone once I get to the 2.0 firmware? I had in my head that I should try to restore to 1.1.4, use ZiPhone, and then use Pwnage to upgrade to the unlocked 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by zakiu View Post
    Thanks for the clarification hiflyer! One catch though is that I want to unlock the phone too. Can I unlock the phone once I get to the 2.0 firmware? I had in my head that I should try to restore to 1.1.4, use ZiPhone, and then use Pwnage to upgrade to the unlocked 2.0.
    Yes, if you just do the simple choice, it will jailbreak, unlock and activate so you can use any GSM sim card.

Smile iPhone screen Issue
    Hi,
    I have a jailbroken !st Gen iPhone running pwn'd v2.0 software.
    Someties the 'Q' & '1' icons on the iPhone do not work and other times they work just fine, IN lanscape mode there is no issue, This happened on the 1.1.4 version as well, so I upgraded, but the someimte 'q', '1' not working problem persists, the phone has suffered no physical damage, pls help

Quote Originally Posted by merovee View Post
    Hi,
    I have a jailbroken !st Gen iPhone running pwn'd v2.0 software.
    Someties the 'Q' & '1' icons on the iPhone do not work and other times they work just fine, IN lanscape mode there is no issue, This happened on the 1.1.4 version as well, so I upgraded, but the someimte 'q', '1' not working problem persists, the phone has suffered no physical damage, pls help
    Some folks have had problems with certain positions on the touch screen failing to work. Yours sounds like that the area of the "q" and "1" my be going bad. The fact that it works in landscape mode where you are using a different section of the screen sure points that out.

If you are still in warranty, maybe you can restore back to stock and take it to the apple store for an exchange.

Good Luck.