Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem Restoring Custom .IPSW

Default Problem Restoring Custom .IPSW
    I successfully created a custom .IPSW in winPWN and then i went to put it in DFU mode...which i successfully got a "iPhone in DFU mode" on my desktop....and then once i shift clicked the custom restore and it prepared to restore i got a "unknown error (6)". so i restored to 2.0 and tried it again, again i got an "unknown error (6)".

how do i stop this error from occurring?

After you create the custom firmware, you MUST run "ipwner" in Pwnage, this will "pawn" Itunes to accept the custom firmware.

Is there a way to use iPwner without creating a whole new custom .IPSW

No, Dude it only takes a couple minutes to create the .ipsw file. Just make sure you hit "Ipwner" BEFORE you close Pwnage next time.

And FYI....whenever your messing with an expensive piece of equipment and changing the firmware on it around, read over the instructions and understand them very well before proceeding. Nobody wants a brick.

Ouch.

...well......thanks
    Last edited by pumpit_louder; 2008-07-30 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks

So each time you attempt this, you need to run through all the steps including rebuilding the .ipsw file? Maybe thats my problem as im getting error #1

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

im getting error 1600 and i have "pawn" my itunes any advice??

Quote Originally Posted by equlizer View Post
    So each time you attempt this, you need to run through all the steps including rebuilding the .ipsw file? Maybe thats my problem as im getting error #1
    Yes, run through all steps.

Quote Originally Posted by slacker4_1 View Post
    im getting error 1600 and i have "pawn" my itunes any advice??
    Quote:

From the iPhone Dev Team Blog: If you get Error 1600 from iTunes (or if you see in your log a failure to prepare x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw), try: mkdir ~/Library/iTunes/”Device Support” ; if that directory already exists, remove any files in it. Then re-run PwnageTool.

Note: if you get an error during custom restore. Follow the following steps. Get your iPhone in restore mode: turn it off (Home, Power, Slide), Get it into Restore Mode (Home+Power, when Apple Logo is shown, release Power, When Restore icon shown release Home). Go to iTunes, it will prompt you to restore your iPhone, Press Option/Alt button and click restore, select your original firmware file. After this process your iPhone will be restored.
    Last edited by cpjr; 2008-07-30 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

drosera (2008-08-13)

I made sure it said that itunes was pwned and it still didn't work. Now I am trying to restore my phone to its original state and I am getting an error message doing that.

Hi all,
    'm getting the same error here. I've created a custom ipsw with winpwn 2.0.04 using the original firmware file (iPhone1,2_2.0.1_5B108_Restore.ipsw). In winpwn I've selected cydia and set a partition of 550mb no Advance features checked. Selected the ipwner got the phone into DFU mode (power and home then them the apple shows keep home until image is showed). Selected the custom firmware I've created and 10 seconds after itunes starts to installing I get the error 6 msg ....

Can anyone please help me ?
    Thanks .

Hi all,
    'm getting the same error here. I've created a custom ipsw with winpwn 2.0.04 using the original firmware file (iPhone1,2_2.0.1_5B108_Restore.ipsw). In winpwn I've selected cydia and set a partition of 550mb no Advance features checked. Selected the ipwner got the phone into DFU mode (power and home then them the apple shows keep home until image is showed). Selected the custom firmware I've created and 10 seconds after itunes starts to installing I get the error 6 msg ....

Thanks .
    Last edited by nonenonex; 2008-08-11 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by nonenonex View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks .

Hi all,

Thanks .
    I also have vista and it worked for me. What i did is run winpwn as administrator checked both cydia and installer did not check youtube. i have att so i unchecked activate in options before creating ipsw. i made my partition 1000mb. when it said custom firmware was finished i clicked ipwner. after it said itunes pawned i connected my 3g put in dfu held shift clicked restore found my custom firmware and it took a while but at the end it all worked..gps,mail etc.