Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Another Pwnage bricked iPhone g2

Default Another Pwnage bricked iPhone g2
    Upon upgrading my wife and I to 3g iPhones, we gave my daughter the old iPhone to use basically as an iPod Touch.

My daughter proceeded to modify the iPhone with the Pwnage Tool software. In this she was successful. Then she got cold feet and decided to restore the original settings. Unfortunately, she did not understand how to do this. She ran Bootneuter and made some modification before trying to restore the iPhone under iTunes.

Now we have an iPhone that will start up with the pineapple logo showing briefly and then immediate switch to the "restore" mode (a screen with a cartoon of Steve Jobs holding his hands up with non-English text in a balloon). Innumerable attempts to restore the original Apple firmware on multiple macs and on Windows have been unsuccessful. Likewise, attempts to "fix" things by running Pwnage Tool and attempting re-install all give the same error message in iTunes.

Is this a totally lost cause? I have entertained some vestige of hope since the phone is not totally dead. It does power up and switch into the Pwnage restore mode. I suspect that whatever my daughter did with Bootneuter has damaged essential boot files?

Any ideas or thoughts will be appreciated. I suspect there are many others out there with the same or similar sad stories of bricked iPhones.

Thanks,
    John

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jeckybaugh For This Useful Post:

annieg. (2008-09-26)

Try downgrading your iTunes to 7.5 and put the phone in DFU mode and do a restore to a clean 114 firmware.

Hi, i have exactly the same problem. Now stuck with an iphone that only shows me a pineapple logo or a Steve jobs logo. Tried on my end on all methods to make itunes recognise it but to no avail. Ran through almost all the ideas suggested when i tried to google a solution. Unfortuantely, i am still stuck.

Im in the same boat, just mine is always stuck on the pineapple, my itunes on my mac and pc arent detecting the phone at all, this is a bummer

Damn , still no solution?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Need to put into DFU mode as stated above.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

TheTrafficker (2008-09-26)

Damn im a ****** bag thanks for the help my brother.

Does anyone know how to restore a bricked 1.1.4 2g phone with no wi-fi, signal, or sound? And all I get when trying to restore through 7.5 itunes is error 1011. I have racked my brain over this for two days now. I am almost to the point of tossing this brick out the window. PLEASE HELP ME !
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
    -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bklynjava View Post
    Try downgrading your iTunes to 7.5 and put the phone in DFU mode and do a restore to a clean 114 firmware.
    I downloaded the 1.1.4 restore from the link above, but it did not give me an .ipsw that I can now use to restore ... I have a regular file named "iPhone1,1_1" that is full of .dmg and things .... Why isn't it in the right format, I have a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.5.5 and I downgraded iTunes to 7.5, please help?

It's a Mac...or rather safari thing...

You need to make sure the file name ends with .ipsw

You probalby got .ipsw.zip as file extension...

Hope this helps...

Cheers...

Wallyİ...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by annieg. View Post
    I downloaded the 1.1.4 restore from the link above, but it did not give me an .ipsw that I can now use to restore ... I have a regular file named "iPhone1,1_1" that is full of .dmg and things .... Why isn't it in the right format, I have a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.5.5 and I downgraded iTunes to 7.5, please help?
    You'll need to redownload the ipsw with Firefox not Safari. Safari automatically unzips all the files.

@Dray

Try updating your iTunes and updating to your FW to 2.x
    Last edited by pncntigger; 2008-09-26 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Add
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pncntigger For This Useful Post:

dray (2008-09-28)

I have tried restoring Itunes 7.6.3 with 2.0beta 8 FW, itunes 7.7 with custom 2.1, tried itunes 8. The only luck I've had is downgrading to 1.1.4 with iplus2.0 and being able to mobile terminal in to it and trying a few tricks like #ienew commands and no luck of course. This sucks....At least it is a nice looking brick ;-)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
    -Einstein

You guys are nuts if you see steve jobs on your iphone at boot DUH means its screwed.
    Upgrade to itunes 8
    Ive seen it on my phone many times. So you plug it into itunes and dont see restore right? turn it off for a few then start dfu after that process get to the itunes screen and proceed to jailbreak not hard

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pncntigger View Post
    You'll need to redownload the ipsw with Firefox not Safari. Safari automatically unzips all the files.

@Dray

Try updating your iTunes and updating to your FW to 2.x
    FYI, just look in the trash bin. After safari downloads and auto unzips the .ipsw, it puts the original file in the trash. Just get it out and delete the unneeded folder.
    iPhone 4 Running 6.1.2 on TMo
    iPad WiFi 64GB
    MacBook Pro

Default blocked @ pineapple firmware restore not working.
    Thanks for all the hints i found here so far.
    my iphone 2g is stuck @ the pineapple.
    I only bought it a week ago, it was unlocked but instable, many simple apps crashed , i.e. mail or weDict.
    as i am a total beginner in these things and only know my way aroud macs since 20 years, i left my young employee play with it , thought he woud find an intuitive way to view pdfs or jpgs.
    unfortunately, he had a bad idea: did the update in itunes.
    so here i was, nothng working.
    tried ziphone, didn't work.
    tried pwnage tool, following all instructions on this site to the end.
    didn't work
    got it into dfumode at last. on mine it takes more like 60 seconds, not 10.
    tried pwn again.
    restored the result with itunes.
    -> got a pineapple.
    tried it again
    .. ok
    here i am. ihave tried the 1.14 on this site: -> error 20
    tried your 2.1
    -> unknown error
    the 2.2 modified by pwnage:
    pineapple.

o i forgot to say that itunes "sees" the iphone all right, so does diskaid, diskaid also sees all the stuff on it.
    i would be very grateful for help, i'm going mad with this.