Results 1 to 4 of 4

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Winpwn questions

  1. #1
    Default Winpwn questions
    I have a few questions before I pwn my phone.

    1) Does iTunes give me an option to backup everything before I perform the restore with the custom firmware? What does it backup? Do I choose what I want backed up? How do I restore the backed up data after I pwn?

    2) When I first got my phone, I got a new phone number (call it #1). A few days later, I decided to port my old number from a different carrier over to AT&T. AT&T did this for me so now I have my old number (call it #2) associated with my phone. If I pwn my phone and then go through the activation process again, is there a chance I'll get phone #1 associated with my phone again, or is phone #2 (the one I have now and want to keep) the one that will stay? I guess you understand why I can't call AT&T and ask them this question.

    3) I want to use Installer 4.0 on my phone when it's released. Do you think I should pwn now? Actually I'm thinking about pwning after the next firmware update or should I wait until Installer is included with Winpwn (will it be)? I ask because I want to know whether you guys think Installer will be available as a download through Cydia. I read somewhere that this is a bad idea, but I don't know why.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by bdawg923 View Post
    I have a few questions before I pwn my phone.

    1) Does iTunes give me an option to backup everything before I perform the restore with the custom firmware? What does it backup? Do I choose what I want backed up? How do I restore the backed up data after I pwn?

    2) When I first got my phone, I got a new phone number (call it #1). A few days later, I decided to port my old number from a different carrier over to AT&T. AT&T did this for me so now I have my old number (call it #2) associated with my phone. If I pwn my phone and then go through the activation process again, is there a chance I'll get phone #1 associated with my phone again, or is phone #2 (the one I have now and want to keep) the one that will stay? I guess you understand why I can't call AT&T and ask them this question.

    3) I want to use Installer 4.0 on my phone when it's released. Do you think I should pwn now? Actually I'm thinking about pwning after the next firmware update or should I wait until Installer is included with Winpwn (will it be)? I ask because I want to know whether you guys think Installer will be available as a download through Cydia. I read somewhere that this is a bad idea, but I don't know why.
    1. Just do a full sync and it should back everything up, recent calls, text messages, apps, contacts, calendars, inboxes, etc.

    2. You should have the one you ported, it is the one on file with att.

    3. You can pwn now and just add installer later.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy0486 View Post
    1. Just do a full sync and it should back everything up, recent calls, text messages, apps, contacts, calendars, inboxes, etc.
    1) You mean connect to iTunes and sync? I heard there's a backup option that iTunes gives when Restoring. I wanted to know about that. Does shift-restoring (in the pwning case) still give the backup option? If so, what is backed up and how do I restore once I pwned?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bdawg923 View Post
    1) You mean connect to iTunes and sync? I heard there's a backup option that iTunes gives when Restoring. I wanted to know about that. Does shift-restoring (in the pwning case) still give the backup option? If so, what is backed up and how do I restore once I pwned?
    Yes, connect to itunes and sync. Shift-restoring will give you the back up option. Your contacts, calendars, texts, apps, etc. will be restored. After you restore with the pwned .ipsw iTunes will ask you if you want to set the phone up as a new iphone, or restore it from a backup. Choose restore from back up.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •