Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Jailbreak 3g iPhone AT&T Customers

Default [How To] Jailbreak 3g iPhone AT&T Customers
    This is for legit ATT Customers (ie. those who have a 3g iphone plan on their account). This will only jailbreak your phone and add Cydia, which currently has limited applications.

1. First, download and install the latest 2.0 firmware from HERE

2. Then download the latest version of Winpwn (currently 2.0.0.2) from HERE

3. Install Winpwn and open it up (windows vista users may have to right click on the Winpwn icon and select "Run as administrator").

4. When Winpwn opens, click on "Browse .ipsw" and navigate to the ipsw file you downloaded in step 1.

The following text should be displayed:

7/25/2008 12:37:58 AM - File from:CUsers\Wildcat\Desktop\iphone\iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_R estore.ipsw
    7/25/2008 12:37:58 AM - Recognized as:iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw Type: IPSW_iPhone3G
    7/25/2008 12:37:58 AM - Be sure to connect an iPhone 3G!

5. Then click on "IPSW BUILDER".
    Applications Tab: Check only "Install Cydia"
    Custom Images Tab: Optional to change the boot images
    Custom Payload: Do not touch
    Advanced: Uncheck all boxes, including activate phone

VERY IMPORTANT: If you are a legit ATT Customer and do not uncheck activate phone you may not pick up service after you jailbreak your iphone and install the custom firmware.

6. Then hit "Build .ipsw" and let Winpwn do its thing. This may take a while and your computer may seem like it is frozen, let it run and try not to run any other applications.

7. With iTunes open, click iPwner in the main Winpwn window. You may get an error message saying pwning failed. If this happens, iTunes will have closed. Just hit iPwner again with iTunes closed and you should get a message in a few moments saying "iTunes Pwned".

8. Now boot your phone in DFU mode by first holding down the home and power buttons for around 9 seconds (you will see the slide to unlock button pop up, keep holding, the phone will shut off). About two seconds after the phone shuts off, let go of the power button but continue to hold the home button. Make sure your computer's sound is on because several seconds later you will hear iTunes recognize your phone, then you can let go of the home button. iTunes shoudl tell you that your phone must be recovered, which is what we wanted.

9. Now hold down the shift key and click on the "restore" button in iTunes. Browse to your custom firmware (.ipsw file you created earlier) and let iTunes restore your phone.

When it is all done you should have Cydia installed and that means you are jailbroken.

Any questions or clarifications needed let me know. I made this specifically for ATT 3g customers because the Winpwn thread got long and confusing and it took me a while to figure out.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tommy0486 For This Useful Post:

cozie (2008-07-31), gimteoh (2008-07-25), hoya89 (2008-08-03), hunglo601 (2008-08-23), jerry69 (2008-08-02), kadinh (2008-07-25), Tomer (2008-07-25)

I keep getting ipsw creation failed message(windows xp). BTW: am i actually supposed to have my iphone connected while running winpwn? There are many diff sets of instructions on the web..I'm a bit confused,
    Some instructions say to check all boxes others says check only activation etc. Yours says to uncheck all...what is correct?(I'm an AT&T subscriber with 3G phone).

do you mean by do not check the activate phone ? i used the guide in iClarified with WinPwn 2.0.0.2 on my 3g iphone and legit ATT customer on windows xp.on my 1st try i check cydia package and activate phone. what happen is like tommy0486 said , i don't get any signal so i restore my phone w/ the original firmware and rebuild the custom firmware with just only cydia package and it work like charm. ...hope this help

Quote Originally Posted by nathansdad04 View Post
    I keep getting ipsw creation failed message(windows xp). BTW: am i actually supposed to have my iphone connected while running winpwn? There are many diff sets of instructions on the web..I'm a bit confused,
    Some instructions say to check all boxes others says check only activation etc. Yours says to uncheck all...what is correct?(I'm an AT&T subscriber with 3G phone).
    Where are you saving the custom firmware and what are you naming it? I had this error a few times and that is all I can think of that fixed it.

I'm not sure what I named the custom firmware..I just made up a name. BTW: I went thru the process once and built a custom ipsw and clicked ipwn etc and got the "itunes pwned" message etc etc. At the time I thought I had skipped a step...so to be safe I uninstalled Winpwn and started over by redownloading everything and started over.
    Is my phone supposed to be connected during the whole, ipsw building,pwning process?
    Should I just uninstall itunes,winpwn etc and start all over. If so..does uninstalling itunes cause me to lose data for my phone?

Hi,
    How about the custom firmware's capacity? When I made it,it was only 362bite.
    I named it as "Custom-iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore"(Application Data/cmw/winpwn/2.0.0.2),but when I tried to do ipwner with this file,it didn't work..cuz,I couldn't see any message("iTunes Pwned")
    When my phone was DFU mode, I tried to restore it with "Custom-iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore",I could see only an error message(1403 error)...Do you know what I have to fix? I'm using windows xp(sp2) now
    Last edited by iloveps2; 2008-07-25 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nathansdad04 View Post
    I'm not sure what I named the custom firmware..I just made up a name. BTW: I went thru the process once and built a custom ipsw and clicked ipwn etc and got the "itunes pwned" message etc etc. At the time I thought I had skipped a step...so to be safe I uninstalled Winpwn and started over by redownloading everything and started over.
    Is my phone supposed to be connected during the whole, ipsw building,pwning process?
    Should I just uninstall itunes,winpwn etc and start all over. If so..does uninstalling itunes cause me to lose data for my phone?
    Change the name of the ispw. Since you already made one and then went back to start over again there is already a file with that name in that location. This causes the error. So either name it something different or save it to a different folder.

Quote Originally Posted by iloveps2 View Post
    Hi,
    How about the custom firmware's capacity? When I made it,it was only 362bite.
    I named it as "Custom-iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore"(Application Data/cmw/winpwn/2.0.0.2),but when I tried to do ipwner with this file,it didn't work..cuz,I couldn't see any message("iTunes Pwned")
    When my phone was DFU mode, I tried to restore it with "Custom-iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore",I could see only an error message(1403 error)...Do you know what I have to fix? I'm using windows xp(sp2) now
    The custom firmware should be 223 MB. Go back and try building the .ipsw again. Then try doing iPwner again and see if it pwns itunes.
    Last edited by tommy0486; 2008-07-25 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

i got my 3g from at&t the 1st day it came out and have not restored the software yet. my phone says i have 2.0 (5A345). can i still use the firmware that you put in the 1st post? i assume yes but i just want to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kadinh View Post
    i got my 3g from at&t the 1st day it came out and have not restored the software yet. my phone says i have 2.0 (5A345). can i still use the firmware that you put in the 1st post? i assume yes but i just want to make sure.
    Yes you can. Since you will be doing a restore it will not mess anything up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

i just did this. a success!!!! easiest and clearest walkthrough. i think it should be stickied for all us 1st time pwners

Quote Originally Posted by kadinh View Post
    i just did this. a success!!!! easiest and clearest walkthrough. i think it should be stickied for all us 1st time pwners
    Glad you liked it

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tommy0486 For This Useful Post:

starrygirl75 (2008-07-26)

Thanks
    This is my first post but I've been lurking for almost two months. I just wanted to thank tommy0486 for making such an easy-to-follow guide. Until I saw this post, I was too chicken to jailbreak my iphone 3g.

I have an unlocked, jailbroken first generation iphone and I had no problems with the process (I used the dreaded Ziphone before I knew any better). I guess all the problems with 2.0 had me a little worried, so I have been waiting to jailbreak my new 3g.

I'm glad I saw this post. The process went smoothly with no problems at all. I'm so excited to have both Cydia and The App Store. Thanks you, tommy0486 for posting this!

No problem, glad I could help.

I have a question. Has anyone still the no signal problem when using this guide? Also once I jailbreak my iPhone will I be able to restore from backup (no the backup wasn't on a jailbroken phone). Thanks in advanced

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    I have a question. Has anyone still the no signal problem when using this guide? Also once I jailbreak my iPhone will I be able to restore from backup (no the backup wasn't on a jailbroken phone). Thanks in advanced
    Yes you can and you will get service if you do not check the "Activate" box.

thanks tommy. I plan on jailbreaking soon

Just realized that the title should include all other iphone carriers, not just at&t, i forgot about those other countries

Quote Originally Posted by tommy0486 View Post
    This is for legit ATT Customers (ie. those who have a 3g iphone plan on their account). This will only jailbreak your phone and add Cydia, which currently has limited applications.

1. First, download and install the latest 2.0 firmware from HERE

2. Then download the latest version of Winpwn (currently 2.0.0.2) from HERE

3. Install Winpwn and open it up (windows vista users may have to right click on the Winpwn icon and select "Run as administrator").

4. When Winpwn opens, click on "Browse .ipsw" and navigate to the ipsw file you downloaded in step 1.

The following text should be displayed:

7/25/2008 12:37:58 AM - File from:C:UsersWildcatDesktopiphoneiPhone1,2_2.0_5A34 7_Restore.ipsw
    7/25/2008 12:37:58 AM - Recognized as:iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw Type: IPSW_iPhone3G
    7/25/2008 12:37:58 AM - Be sure to connect an iPhone 3G!

5. Then click on "IPSW BUILDER".
    Applications Tab: Check only "Install Cydia"
    Custom Images Tab: Optional to change the boot images
    Custom Payload: Do not touch
    Advanced: Uncheck all boxes, including activate phone

VERY IMPORTANT: If you are a legit ATT Customer and do not uncheck activate phone you may not pick up service after you jailbreak your iphone and install the custom firmware.

6. Then hit "Build .ipsw" and let Winpwn do its thing. This may take a while and your computer may seem like it is frozen, let it run and try not to run any other applications.

7. With iTunes open, click iPwner in the main Winpwn window. You may get an error message saying pwning failed. If this happens, iTunes will have closed. Just hit iPwner again with iTunes closed and you should get a message in a few moments saying "iTunes Pwned".

8. Now boot your phone in DFU mode by first holding down the home and power buttons for around 9 seconds (you will see the slide to unlock button pop up, keep holding, the phone will shut off). About two seconds after the phone shuts off, let go of the power button but continue to hold the home button. Make sure your computer's sound is on because several seconds later you will hear iTunes recognize your phone, then you can let go of the home button. iTunes shoudl tell you that your phone must be recovered, which is what we wanted.

9. Now hold down the shift key and click on the "restore" button in iTunes. Browse to your custom firmware (.ipsw file you created earlier) and let iTunes restore your phone.

When it is all done you should have Cydia installed and that means you are jailbroken.

Any questions or clarifications needed let me know. I made this specifically for ATT 3g customers because the Winpwn thread got long and confusing and it took me a while to figure out.
    I need help!Every time im tryin to creat custom firmware i receive this message - "Failed to creat custom IPSW" or the winpwn closing itself before custom firmware is made.Can you tell me what i can do?or can someone upload ready custom firmware for me?I have iphone 3g from Fido!Thanks in advance!

Yea i had the problem of not getting service without unchecking the activate phone box, then I read this thread and that solved my problem, I was worried I was doing something wrong after I pwned my phone like 3 times lol...thanx alot

is anyone having issues with syncing? Every time I try to sync it boots me back to the home screen and itunes says its syncing when it really isnt. Itunes will show nothing in the big display box but in the side under devices it'll show the spinning wheel and the iphones screen is black and not showing sync in progress as well. Anyone know what I can do to fix this instead of restoring all the time.

Edit: Nevermind, I got it to work
    Last edited by originalgoast; 2008-07-31 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast