Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: After Restore with Custom-IPSW: stuck on Boot-Screen

Default After Restore with Custom-IPSW: stuck on Boot-Screen
    I really need help with an iPhone a friend brought to me after he accidently upgraded from 1.1.4 to 2.0.

What I did:
    Got his iPhone, which was obviously jailbroken/activated before he accidently upgraded to 2.0.
    Built a custom IPSW using Pwnage 2.0.1.
    Kicked iPhone into DFU-Mode.
    Restored the iPhone using the custom IPSW.

Everything went fine until restart. Now the iPhone's stuck at the pineapple boot-screen. Strange thing is: itunes recognizes the iPhone and asks to restore it from backup.

Any idea? Please help!

Do you not have the option to "setup as new" ?

I think the problem isn't, if I restore it or set it up as a new iPhone. Problem is, that the iPhone is stuck at the boot-screen and doesn't start up. So itunes recognizes the iPhone, while the iPhone's still stuck at the boot-screen.

I'm getting the same kind of thing. My DFU restores are being crazy. I'm trying to get it back to a semi stock state to know i didn't brick anything, starting to worry a bit. I tunes is taking a LONG time prepping the iphone software and iphone etc for restore. i'm just going to let it run and cross my fingers

Also, when i booted it up after restoring the custom firmware... it would load the apple icon, flash to black, flash the apple icon, flash to black.. indefinitely

Also, when i booted it up after restoring the custom firmware... it would load the apple icon, flash to black, flash the apple icon, flash to black.. indefinitely
    Last edited by IceWilly1; 2008-07-22 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the same problem after I restore using the custom IPSW. Now my phone in pineapple logo boot up and it keep on blinking. can't even start the phone. any help?

Default mebbe a solution
    hi,
    well i had d same problem. nd i really dnt kno wat 2 do with it. but now its worked. and the only 2 changes iv made are. that dis time i downloaded the ipsw from opera and not safari and i upgraded to pwnage 2.0.1.

and also. b4 my fone was on 1.1.4 using ziphone. but this time i had it completely restored to 1.1.4 . then pawned on 1.1.4. the proceeded to 2.0.

now i have no idea if this made a difference. but my fone went 2 2.0 flawlessly (whereas b4 even after 50 tries it hadnt worked.. c if this works for you.

Problem is solved :-D
    After trying to restore it several times with my custom-IPSW and the Apple-IPSW (no result at all - still hanging at the boot screen), i kicked it into DFU-Mode for a final attempt and restored with a very fresh out-of-the-box built custom-IPSW, using Pwange 2.0.1. And suddenly everything worked like charm.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i tried to restore back to 1.1.4 using itune 7.5, but not working..sigh..

cheewooi, in this forum (same section) there is a thread called "pwnage 2.0 bricked my phone" or something similar to that, on the second page, near the top, there are instructions for downgrading to 1.1.4 which involve some command line deleting and they worked for me when I couldn't kick my phone out of restore mode (except for into DFU mode, and visa versa).
    I'm on my phone now, or I would just link you to it, buy go look, it's worth it.
    If you do it, I'd also back up your iTunes music folder elsewhere on your HD, because deleting and re-installing iTunes means you may lose that folder, and therefore all your music I'd you don't.
    Best of luck.

P.s.- the restore process and the upgrade to 2.0 both took what seemed like a very long time, and i mean forever...but they both worked and now I'm on 2.0 stock...I might try to JB again, but this new FW kinds scares me. Anyway, have a go at it.
    Last edited by arem; 2008-07-23 at 05:50 PM. Reason: I suck at posting.

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

if your problem is that you are stuck on the boot logo, here is what you need to do.

1. Turn iPod/iPhone off
    2. Connect iPod/iPhone to computer
    3. Wait for the sound(ding dong)
    4. SSH into it using Winscp or iphonebrowser(yes you can ssh at the bootscreen)
    5. go to /private/var/mobile/ and rename Applications to Applications2
    6. Your iPod/iPhone should start up in 5 to 10 seconds
    7. Then rename back to Applications
    8. Turn off iPod/iPhone (you may have to force it. home+power)

Thanks would be welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by bteamer View Post
    if your problem is that you are stuck on the boot logo, here is what you need to do.

1. Turn iPod/iPhone off
    2. Connect iPod/iPhone to computer
    3. Wait for the sound(ding dong)
    4. SSH into it using Winscp or iphonebrowser(yes you can ssh at the bootscreen)
    5. go to /private/var/mobile/ and rename Applications to Applications2
    6. Your iPod/iPhone should start up in 5 to 10 seconds
    7. Then rename back to Applications
    8. Turn off iPod/iPhone (you may have to force it. home+power)

Thanks would be welcome
    You really don't need to do that, especially since you'll have to reinstall all your apps again only to have the phone inevitably lock up again anyway >.<

I posted this in another thread, but anyways:

Easy method for getting out of a stuck boot screen/swod/apple/pineapple:

1. Make sure your iPhod hasn't gotten to the "Dim screen" phase of the endless boot. If it is there already, just force another restart by holding the Sleep and Home button for 5 seconds.
    2. Once your iphone has reboot (boot logo isn't dim), dock your iPhod with your desktop and let iTunes react as if it is "Busy." On Mac this will be identified by a spinning "Beach ball" mouse pointer, on PC this should be an Hourglass or something similar.
    3. Let your iPhod stay docked throughout the entire boot process, this is typically 2-3 reboots by the Watchdog.Bundle application thats giving us this problem to begin with.
    4. Once the iPhod locks up, iTunes will bring up the "Summary" page, and its at this point your iPhod will be ready.
    5. Just force another restart (Sleep+Home for 5 seconds) and your iPhod will boot up as normal with the Lock Screen.

Done