Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cannot connect to wifi...sometimes

Default Cannot connect to wifi...sometimes
    I have a 1st gen 8gb iphone, and i installed firmware 2.0 last night (pc). Basically what i did was I had a winpwned 1.1.4, and from searching around in MMi, I found several tutorials that showed how to use jailbreak and unlock fw 2.0 on pc without the newly released pwnage 2.0. So as instructed, I pwned the phone again with fw 1.1.4, and then restored the phone through itunes using the fw 2.0 ipsw from the tutorials. Everything went smoothly, and fw 2.0 is working perfectly, which is wonderful.

However, the wifi is giving me trouble. I have unencrypted wireless internet available on campus, which I know should work, but the phone does not even detect the network. Only on rare occasions the wifi works fine at a great speed, for a short amount of time, and then it randomly stops working again..

1. I know there's nothing wrong with the "router",
    2. I have the right password.....there isn't one
    3. the network itself does not show up on the phone's wifi networks list
    4. and this wifi problem has been an issue before on 1.1.4, but resetting the network settings had worked...this time, it does not work, nor does rebooting the phone, restoring,...I tried everything.

Please please please help me, 90% of the apps are useless without wifi, and I can't even diagnose the problem. Perhaps restoring from the backups of previous contacts/photos/schedule/settngs on itunes might be causing this??

(I also have ad-hoc connection available between my laptop and my iphone. the phone usually detects this network and says its connected, but the Edge icon is still there and internet does not work on the phone.)

Thank you!

Default same problem
    yes i too am having the same problem, i recently upgraded all the iphones in my house to 2.0 and all the wifi's work except for one, i am having the same problems, the wifi always says not connected and searches for a signal but not successful

I dont have a solution, but I am having the same problem.

No networks show up in the wifi settings menu.

I started out on a 1.1.2 oob, not unlocked but jailbroken and updated to 1.1.2. Have been using a Hypercard.

My wifi died when i upgraded to 2.0, i used the guide on sleepers.net. Everything else works fine. It's just that no networks show up and never has after update.

I tried restoring a couple of times to 2.0, downgrading to 1.1.4 and restoring. Resetting network settings. Turning wifi on and of a million times. Even tried the swifi fix when I was back on 1.1.4 wich tells me there is nothing to fix. Nothing has worked so far.

In terminal, according to ifconfig en0 is up and has a MAC-adress.

What to do?

I don't have the same problem... upgraded to 2.0 last night... i am able to detect and connect to my wifi but 50% of time, the site cannot be connected.. appstore don't work, can't access apple.com... most of the site shows fail to connect...

Also, anybody find that after you upgrade to 2.0, accessing to your apps since slow... like opening SMS, or phone book will take at least 3-4 secs before it shows up...

Thanks

Anyone who is attempting to access a campus wifi system and is having trouble may need to register their device with the university IT department. In teh process of my oldest son's applying to and visiting colleges, i was rarely able to connect to any of the campus wifis successfully. I am a memeber of a group that meets at a local college and cannot access their wifi and was told that wireless devices need to be registered. My son will be attending college beginning next month and in the IT information handout, his laptop and any PDA etc... willneed to be registered wiht the IT department to access the network. I imagine that many of the schools use MAC address filtering on their wireless networks.

that isn't the problem, well im trying to access internet at home and it doesn't work but thanks for the post

Default Similar problem
    I jailbroke my 3g phone last night and had no problems until now.
    My wifi to my home shows connected in networks and with the wifi status bar, but whenever i attempt to surf the internet, maps, youtube etc. I get a "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding or cannot connect to the internet" Anyone know of a solution. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jookington View Post
    My wifi to my home shows connected in networks and with the wifi status bar, but whenever i attempt to surf the internet, maps, youtube etc. I get a "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding or cannot connect to the internet" Anyone know of a solution. Thanks
    Solution: Went to settings/general/reset/reset network settings and wifi is up and running again

Quote Originally Posted by jookington View Post
    Solution: Went to settings/general/reset/reset network settings and wifi is up and running again
    Last edited by jookington; 2008-07-23 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost