Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Warranty Question - Pwnage Restore to factory

Question Warranty Question - Pwnage Restore to factory
    I went through and used Pwnage today on my iPhone 2G and afterwards while playing around with it I realized that I have no audio from the right speaker.

- My 1 year warranty is out in August
    - I have put my AT&T account on "hold" since I don't live in the US right now
    - I know if I take it to Apple it has to be back in the US

Can I restore the firware, bl, and baseband back to factory if I wanted to take it to Apple?

If I take it to Apple, what do you think they will do?

the right one is a mic, there is only one speaker.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pjw For This Useful Post:

noiwontsmile (2008-07-20)

Quote Originally Posted by pjw View Post
    the right one is a mic, there is only one speaker.
    Really?! Now I feel like an idiot... again.

Thank you for the clarification.

Default How to restore
    I used the pwnage to unlock my 1st gen 2.0 firmware iphone. Worked great. However I may need to take it in under warranty (battery life stinks)

What is the best way to restore it to factory. I assume I put the iphone in DFU mode and then restore the Official Apple firmware 2.0 (IPSW) I downloaded.

Is this correct? any gotchas I need to watch out for?

Thanks

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by b660aviphone View Post
    I used the pwnage to unlock my 1st gen 2.0 firmware iphone. Worked great. However I may need to take it in under warranty (battery life stinks)

What is the best way to restore it to factory. I assume I put the iphone in DFU mode and then restore the Official Apple firmware 2.0 (IPSW) I downloaded.

Is this correct? any gotchas I need to watch out for?

Thanks

Bob
    Does anyone know the answer to this?

My iphone (2G - original 1.1.4 - recently pawned to 2.0) is experience the issue of continually rebooting (over and over and over again) if it is not plugged in. While plugged in, it works fine.

I have read other posts (one said to turn off wifi) but nothing has helped. I want to take it into the apple store, but I'd like to make sure it meets warranty criteria first.

If its "unlocked" and your NOT using AT&T....your warranty is void.

If you are on AT&T....just restore it.

If your iphone is unlocked and you are not using At&T, You can restore it to Apple factory firmware. Hopefully it exhibits the behavior when restored. Then, take it to the Apple store and they will honor the warranty. Just tell them you bought it from a friend who upgrade and your are not sure if you are going to use it as phone. You are just using it as an ipod touch. I have heard AT&T has said this is ok, since the original cost of the phones were not subsidized. DO NOT MENTION YOU HAVE/OR WILL UNLOCK IT.

I did this and had no problem, At first the Apple store thouguht that that it would not work as a touch without activation, but I said I restored it to try to see if it would fix my issues and I just skipped activation and it was an ipod touch. They replaced mine under warranty. I thought my battery performance was bad, but they said it was fine, they only replaced mine because of blemishes in the glass. If yours reboots on it's own and you can demonstrated this, they should replace it.

Bob