Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mail.app Not Functioning after 2G iPhone 2.0 Pwnage

Default Mail.app Not Functioning after 2G iPhone 2.0 Pwnage
    Hey folks, sorry to add to the hustle and bustle surrounding the new launch, but this is fairly critical. I pwned my previously-1.1.4 phone to 2.0 using Pwnage 2.0, and everything worked peachy until I received a new email on my Gmail IMAP account. The phone dinged like usual, but they dinged a few seconds after.

What happens, is once a mail arrives, the phone continues to ding, long after the initial ding. To top it off, the application loads, gets a second into checking for new messages, then crashes back to the springboard. This is unlike any other crashes I've seen, because each time, it's a different amount of time until it crashes, and it's fully usable for the second to second-and-a-half that I have before it crashes. Anyways, the Mail.app is very important to me, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Had the Same Problem - Permissions issue with Mail Directory

SSH to your phone and

chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile/Library/Mail

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stevedunn For This Useful Post:

CeeJayCee (2008-07-20), craftyguy (2008-07-21), hartphoto (2008-07-23), lookatthemonkeys (2008-07-26), oo3 (2008-07-29), tutmeister22 (2008-07-22)

restore from the custom 2.0 ipsw, then configure your email try loading your email and restore from your backup using itune.

Update from the iphone dev blog:blog.iphone-dev.org

Update 6: Mail application not working at 2.0? Please restore to your custom ipsw (you don’t need to DFU restore if you are pwned, normal restore will work now too) but then select “Set up as a new iPhone” when iTunes asks. Your first sync will bring back all of your settings anyway.

Perfect, thanks, I'm restoring right now. I'll let people know if it works.

I can confirm that stevedunn's fix works! Just install OpenSSH from Cydia and change the ownership of the Mail library!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CeeJayCee For This Useful Post:

tutmeister22 (2008-07-22)

Quote Originally Posted by CeeJayCee View Post
    I can confirm that stevedunn's fix works! Just install OpenSSH from Cydia and change the ownership of the Mail library!
    In CyberDuck... I can get the the right folder but what needs to be changed exactly?

Thanks

You need to change the ownership of /var/mobile/Library/Mail and all files below it to mobile:mobile

The -R on "chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile/Library/Mail", changes the ownership and recursively change all items under that folder to mobile:mobile

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hmm... i connected to ssh, but for some reason it's still not working... any tips anyone?

Default Pwnage not unlocking 2G iphone
    Hey, i used the pwnage tool to unlock up updated iphone (2.0) and after the pwnage tool completed pwning my iphone and i succesfully restored my iphone, AND the pineapple was there when the iphone started, the only difference was that my home screen had the cyndia icon, but when i put in a different sim card (I'm an at&t customer) the iphone displayed the screen that had the usb connecting to itunes, what do i have to do to unlock my iphone,

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    woohoo, got the mail to work

i set the permissions properly and now i can keep all my settings photos and contacts

how exactly did you set the permissions?

Just SSH your phone, click terminal from within WinSCP or whatever program you're using, and type in the following:

Then your mail settings will automatically be fixed.

Btw, if I choose to "setup as new iphone", will my contacts/calendar come back at first sync? Or is it a complete wipe and I get nothing at all?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to yomino For This Useful Post:

lookatthemonkeys (2008-07-26)

Ben.geek.nz Fixing iPhone Mail Crashes (2.0 Firmware)

There is a new app u can use from the iPhone to do it.
    Last edited by Berserker26; 2008-07-25 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I tried the chown command and kept getting this:

"You must supply a numeric argument to the chown command."

I ended up fixing it using BossPrefs. Under 'more' there is a fix disk permissions. That did the trick.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ricmac25 For This Useful Post:

WhiskeyFox (2008-08-08)

Thanks guys! Worked for me. My new messages popped up the second I ran the command

Quote Originally Posted by stevedunn View Post
    Had the Same Problem - Permissions issue with Mail Directory

SSH to your phone and

Thank you for this. Works with 3G as well in case people were wondering.

worked for me as well, hardest part was finding the terminal link within winscp lol

just curious if anyone found a way for the phone to check every minute or 5 minutes for new mail instead of 15
    Last edited by Ankit69; 2008-07-29 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Ankit69 View Post
    worked for me as well, hardest part was finding the terminal link within winscp lol

just curious if anyone found a way for the phone to check every minute or 5 minutes for new mail instead of 15
    This is what you're looking for:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/file-mo...il-faster.html

after u open ssh where do u put this command at?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast