Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WiFi Disconnecting Issue

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

FYI: no security, WEP, WPA, WPA2 doesn't seem to matter in this situation.
    Also, the issue is not with my router per se. I moved some 1270km away from my location into the bush where there is only one wireless and it STILL exhibits the problem.

Scans for network. Doesn't find one 98% of the time.
    2% of the time you can join it. But 2 seconds after you join, it drops.

I was able to email myself a .mobileconfig so I could "disable" EDGE on mine and it did for a moment (until restart) but it did not have an effect on the wireless issue. I had thought maybe only one at a time could be active and EDGE was smushing wireless.

come on guys! how can we fix this?

Thanks

Thats interesting. Mine always puts in the router address for DNS unless I manually change it.
    I was just away over the weekend and could not get on 2 different free unsecured wifi networks. Both would "connect" but I couldnt open web pages. At one of the locations, my laptop was able to connect just fine, but at the other I had the same problem wiht the laptop. good strong connection, but could not open a web page.

This said, I noticed that at location 2, where my laptop would not open web pages, the IP was showing the address with the .254 in it which means that the device was unable to be assigned an IP address by the router. At the location 1 both laptop and iPhone were assigned what appeard to be valid IP addresses yet the iPhone still could not do anything. That location happened to be a hotel with a webpage login and would tell me error on the iphone but would connect fine on the laptop. Very confusing.

Reset network settings several times- no go. Interestingly my phone signal was very poor as well in this town, which has always been somewhat weak, but this time I was unable to get a signal at all in many areas.

Now home again, I reconnected to my own secured network and the connection is doing the same thing as it did. Wifi gets weak really quick as I move away from my AP. I suspect as I had restored and re-jailbroke a couple of weeks ago (Winpwn 1.1.4) that may have done something. I may just break down and restore to stock and see if things improve and/or upgrade to2.0 firmware and winpwn again and try that. Looks like Customize may be coming soon anyway.

Mine was the same, Ive found that if you install boss prefs and turn off EDGE it works flawlessley.

Im running 1st gen with 2.0

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Gavin_T; 2008-07-28 at 03:23 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'd be up for trying BossPrefs. I just need to find a compiled version of it I can stick in a custom ispw (won't load over Installer/Cydia remember? :-)

Also bhz1, don't bother downgrading to stock and starting over again. I had the same idea and tried it and found no benefit to it (other than 1.1.4 still being crashy for me and spending a while trying to sort things out).

Installed fine for me over Cydia.....just upgrade Bigboss's Source under repositories. I know when its installed it says its not 100% complete but seems to have done the trick for me.

Thanks

Yeah, I did try shutting off EDGE and immediately got somewhat of a better phone signal, but it was only temporary. Wehn I was at literally the border of service area, I actually got a better phone signal when i turned EDGE on. Weird. The it got to the point by toggling EDGE I could get a bar or two. Either way it would go right back to no service the minute I attempted to do anything, make a call, download email, etc...

Thanks for the advice on restoring to my current 1.1.4, I wont waste the time.

I suspect that my problem is maybe the fact that the original WINPWN unlocked the phone and as a legit ATT customer, it may not "like it". Since I'm not planning any out of country travel for a while, I wont unlock this time since its an option. If I recall the original WINPWN required unlock for all users regardless of legit carrier or not.

I happen to have an 3.9 bootloader phone (was originally a 1.0.2) I never changed it. I might try flashing a 4.6 bootloader first and see if htat does anything. I can always downgrade and restore.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 97vrsix's Avatar
    Thanks

Well hello, I'm sort of in the same boat...I'm a network guy, and computer guy...SO this is getting to me...Started this week with 1.1.4 and it was cool, but i really did not want to wait any longer to upgrade...And i did...I tiook me a day and a half to do it because of the problems with the releases. So i made a brand new XP pro machine just for my Iphone...(Compaq mini, 2.0 Pent 4..768 memory..Just Itunes, and and Winp)

So i got this going and said hell with Vista cause it was a *****...I have flashed my phone about 3 times, maybe 4...Keep changing the loading screen...trying wipe and no wipe...3.9, and 4.6, to see how things go..SO far best combo was 4.6 and wiping the phone...I love doing the updates...its fun to play!

But with this combo, and all the others the WIFI sucks! I can connect from settings...But if i am in internet and it asks to latch on to my signal, it wont...Just like the others...Go to settings, no problems...

No WiFi turned off i can use the internet, and other apps. WiFi on, the internet stops dead on my phone...My computers are fine...Distance makes no difference...I use Linksys, SRX router...Changed the chanels, and changed the network to a 10.0.0.1 net work since apple products like that rang better anyways, I also have two routers in line...One just for my iphone, and one for internet main signal..

No matter what way i go, i still run in to problems. Every once in a while it will start to work..I am testing now, i'll update about changing the Subnet, and network, and MHZ...

Mr.D

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well guys i guess I will join the club too, ever since upgrading to 2.0 I started having the WIFI connections issues that didnt exist on 1.1.4. I was on the net and my phone dropped WIFI and I was accidentaly using EDGE and here in Canada Rogers is going to ask for an arm and a leg for the 12 MB i ended up using.

We need a fix, dev team are you here help please.

here is my update,
    I installed bigboss pref from cydia and turned off EDGE, ever since all is good with my WIFI.

hope this helps
    Last edited by Mactime; 2008-07-29 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone 8GB 1.1.4 unlocked & jailbroken via PWNAGE to 3.0
    Rogers
    Canada

Thanks

Interesting that so many had wifi issues since 2.0. Mine started on 1.1.4. I just upgraded to 2.0 but did not unlock since i'm on ATT. Seems like everything is much smoother and faster on wifi. I'll see how it works upstairs in a bit.

One thought I had is that I used winpwn to jailbreak on 1.1.4 and if I recall we had to unlock to get it to work even f we were on ATT (or other legit carrier). SInce I dont need to unlock I decided this time to relock using Bootneuter and restore to stock. When I used WInpwn this time I only installed Cydia.

Off to check my wifi in the weak zone.

Thanks

Hey try this, it worked for me! Install BigBoss Pref's The pack that will allow you to turn off the WiFi, and SSH if installed, and Edge, and such....Try this...Set your router to a different channel...If more so if there are other router around...I set mine to Chanel 11

Also change your network to a 10.0.0.1 network..

As well when you install the bigboss pack, look in the advanced options your will see fix DIR permission...DO THIS!, i have had flawless internet so far...this was the testing i have done...Been great for now...I'll let you know if it changes....PM me if you need help with the explaning...

1. problem is the DIR permissions may be messed up, it will tell you some of the things that can stop working when you upgrade...it hit some of my problems, and fixed them all!
    As well changing the network to a more apple likible one is nice...You allways see airport, and apple products in the 10. network....As well, Change your channel, so may people set there for auto, and it is allways on chan 6....CHANGE IT! lol

Worked on 3 phone so far!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well these are all excellent suggestions. And somehow, last night, despite my best efforts; I some how managed to get some pending updates for Cydia, OpenSSL, Boss Prefs & macman . I am positive it didn't get them over wireless. Yet, EDGE is not really active for me (Rogers pay as you go). So... it came from somewhere. It was slow as all hell.

Now, as for changing the internal IP network to 10.0.* . It's a good idea but not really practical for use when you go to other networks. It should just be able to hop on. Hop on hop off.

I did look at the router logs though (it's a new D-Link out here). And I noticed it connects, it authenticates and that's it. What is odd is there is no machine name. I wonder if this is part of why it can't hang in. It makes no sense, the MAC matches up and a client name shouldn't matter. Hmmm.

Also, the fix permission thing; neat but hasn't done it for me.

Thanks

Not your Phone, dont change your phone addy, but your router....Your router in your house...ANd it's fine for hoping on and off networks it wont effect it at all...Set your phone to DHCP, and your router to a 10. network..

If you have a question, PM me, ive been doing the netowkr thing for years...Trust..it may not work, but wont negitive effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12