Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: quick question about virginizing

Default quick question about virginizing
    Hey guys,
    I have a 1.1.4 jailbroken iphone. It has only been jailbroken in the 1.1.4 software. I used ZiPhone to jailbreak it and I want to virginize my iphone. Is it safe to plug my iphone into itunes and click restore to clean out my iphone. If not, what should I do to virginize it?

Thanks

Yes, that is perfectly safe.

HOWEVER, Itunes will not completely erase all traces of the phone being jailbroken.

To COMPLETELY virginize the phone, use Ziphone again and use the "Refurbish" function, this will completely "virginize" it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"refurbish"? where is that? i've got ziphone 3.0..the only buttons i see are "do it all", "jailbreak and activate" and "prepare for upgrade".

Thanks

Don't jailbreak with ziphone....

I jailbroke with ZiPhone 3.0 and wanted to upgrade to the 2.0 software...so this is what I did.

1. I placed the phone in restore mode.
    2. iTunes recognized that there was an iPhone in restore mode and it prompted me to re-install the software in order to use it.
    3. I used iTunes to re-install the software and re-activate the phone.
    4. I then restored the phone with the iTunes backup.

That should "virginize" my phone, correct? Will I have any problems upgrading to the 2.0 software after I did this? Thanks for the advice in advance!

...or do I need to place the iPhone in DFU mode first...and then restore the phone with iTunes?

ksiphone, if we need to do the DFU thing...just click on the "Prepare for Upgrade" button and it will place the phone in DFU mode. After that, restore the phone in iTunes to the 1.1.4 software.
    Last edited by bigdog5142; 2008-07-08 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

There is a "refurbish" option in Ziphone, should be under "actions"...it is on mine.

The only thing that can possibly mess you up using just Itunes is if you send the phone to Apple for any reason, they can still see trace files from the jailbreak. Thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    There is a "refurbish" option in Ziphone, should be under "actions"...it is on mine.

The only thing that can possibly mess you up using just Itunes is if you send the phone to Apple for any reason, they can still see trace files from the jailbreak. Thats all.
    There is no "refurbish" option in Ziphone 3.0. See attached file. I believe the "refurbish" option has been replaced with "Prepare for Upgrade." This is supposed to set the phone in DFU mode and then you can perform a restore using iTunes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -ziphone-screenshot.jpg  

...and if you jailbroke AND unlocked with ilberty+? I want to get ready for 2.0!