Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about Winpwn?

Default Question about Winpwn?
    I have a OTB 1.1.2 that i have jailbroken a while ago. I used Winscp to access the file system and changed some of the default files like battery charging icon, sounds, retro dial pad, etc. If I use Winpwn, will i lose these files and will the pwnage work correctly? Also, how can i access the file system after i use winpwn, can i still use Winscp to access it and change things?

I'll be completely honest, I using the Pwnage software on my iPhone, and other then the cool boot logo, that I NEVER see (My phone is hardly ever shut off.) I would have never done it if I didn't get a replacement phone from Apple. If your phone is working fine at 1.1.2, and you have no desire to create a custom 1.1.4, to me it seems completely pointless. winPwn really doesn't do much except have the ability to create custom firmware, which I'm assuming you aren't going to use, and then having the ability to restore those custom firmwares in iTunes. Then your going to really use winPwn.

But, to answer your question, I didn't read any FAQ's or tutorials on how to use the Pwn software and I ran the iPwner on my stock 1.1.4 OTB replacement phone, and it didn't do anything to it. So I'm assuming if you just pwn the phone with your current firmware, everything will work as is. But it seems useless to take the risk of modifying your phone if you have no intention of modifying it's current state.

Does that make sense?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slimz For This Useful Post:

ninthchamber99 (2008-05-30)

You will lose all your mods when you pwn your iPhone. Not a problem - just copy your apps and mods to your computer before you pwn.
    pwnage will work correctly, and you'll be able to use Winscp just like before.
    If you're running AT&T don't click the activate button.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hamfast For This Useful Post:

I think you only lose your mods to the phone if you restore, Pwning the phone itself won't hurt anything.

I know for me, it did nothing, absolutely nothing.

EDIT: I just looked at the iPwner section of the help screen, it says 1.1.3 and 1.1.4. Doesn't mention anything about 1.1.2. It also says that after you use iPwner your whole will work as normal, but it just allows you to use the rest of the features of the iPwn software.
    Last edited by Slimz; 2008-05-30 at 09:13 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slimz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz View Post
    I'll be completely honest, I using the Pwnage software on my iPhone, and other then the cool boot logo, that I NEVER see (My phone is hardly ever shut off.) I would have never done it if I didn't get a replacement phone from Apple. If your phone is working fine at 1.1.2, and you have no desire to create a custom 1.1.4, to me it seems completely pointless. winPwn really doesn't do much except have the ability to create custom firmware, which I'm assuming you aren't going to use, and then having the ability to restore those custom firmwares in iTunes. Then your going to really use winPwn.

But, to answer your question, I didn't read any FAQ's or tutorials on how to use the Pwn software and I ran the iPwner on my stock 1.1.4 OTB replacement phone, and it didn't do anything to it. So I'm assuming if you just pwn the phone with your current firmware, everything will work as is. But it seems useless to take the risk of modifying your phone if you have no intention of modifying it's current state.

Does that make sense?

That makes complete sense. I dont really think I will do anything with the custom firmware but it still would be nice to have and to know how to do this in case later i decide to play around with it. I just dont have the time to do it as much as i would like.

One more question, other than installer what else should i install from winpwn. I saw on youtube where a guy did the ssh, bsd, and installer from winpwn. I want to maximize what i install from winpwn
    Last edited by ninthchamber99; 2008-05-30 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well, you can only install those things I believe if you create a custom firmware, when you create the firmware it puts BSD subsystem and SSH, along with Installer into the firmware. Then, once it's Pwned, you restore the phone itself through iTunes. I believe Pwning the phone itself just allows you to restore to those custom firmwares through iTunes. I don't think it actually installs anything without using a firmware - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

SSH, BSD and Installer at the least is what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz View Post
    Well, you can only install those things I believe if you create a custom firmware, when you create the firmware it puts BSD subsystem and SSH, along with Installer into the firmware. Then, once it's Pwned, you restore the phone itself through iTunes. I believe Pwning the phone itself just allows you to restore to those custom firmwares through iTunes. I don't think it actually installs anything without using a firmware - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

SSH, BSD and Installer at the least is what I would do.
    Thanks for your answers, last question, do I need to mess with the boot neuter? I thought the new version automatically did that for you. And if not, how do i determine which version i have (3.9 or 4.6) and how do you choose the correct settings (again, I have a 1.1.2 OTB that is just jailbroken, since i was already an ATT customer, I didnt need to unlock).

Just a reminder, the help files on the MAC version of Pwnage only mention you can Pwn 1.1.3 and 1.1.4. I'd do a little research before pwning your 1.1.2 phone. Especially if it's working perfectly fine.

There is a program in installer, source I believe is trejan.com/irepo it's called BBinfo. It will query your baseband and give you that information.

As for bootneuter, I guess that's entirely up to you, after you run the BBinfo, you'll know. But I believe 1.1.2 phones were the 4.6 BL. I actually restored my firmware twice after I pwned the device. First time I couldn't get signal, and even though the boxes were checked, BSD and SSH didn't install either. I have no idea why, but I just did them manually and all was good. I ended up having to run bootneuter to unlock and get signal. My mail app was messed up, so I had to restore again, and didn't need bootneuter, and my mail app was perfectly fine.

So basically, I guess I would only need the bootneuter for signal issues, other then that, I don't know what other purpose it would serve, except to unlock, and you don't need that. I've read some posts that people believe unchecking activate fixes the signal problem, and that wasn't true for me. I've also read some people believe iPwn will activate no matter the box checked or not, so I guess trial and error.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Slimz; 2008-05-30 at 11:21 PM.