Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No reception after winpwn (windows)

Default No reception after winpwn (windows)
    I followed the step by step tutorial on just jailbreaking my iphone using winpwn for windows. I do not not need to unlock the phone since I already have at&t. This is my 1st time jailbreaking the phone since I purchased it last dec. I am using 1.1.4 firmwre. So, in the ISPW builder screen, I downloaded a couple apps like installer, launcher, and open SSH. Then I picked the boot logo. Then on the 3rd tab, the advanced tab, I just left the box "activate" checked, which was already checked to begin with. I did not check anything else. I was not sure if I should check off on "enable baseband update" since I am not unlocking.

I built the custom firmware and restored my iphone in itunes using the custom firmware. Everything was a success with the apps and boot logo. My iphone registers under devices in itunes. The problem is that I have absolutely no reception. No edge connection. Nothing in the upper left corner indicating that I have AT&T.

How can I rectify this so I can make calls and have edge access?
    Last edited by emg; 2008-05-10 at 08:31 AM.

I had the exact same problem yesterday. Followed steps posted by GoIrish and had it working in 10 minutes.

GoIrish:

You can ssh and replace the lockdownd file in usr/libexec/ with the original 1.1.4 lockdownd file. Reboot phone. Connect to iTunes and it will activate it for you. Winpwn seems to activate the firmware whether you check the box or not.

edit: Oh yeah forgot you MUST set permissions of the new lockdownd file to 0755 or it will not work.

http://rapid$hare.com/files/108537986/114_lockdownd_original.zip.html (copy and paste in browser and replace the $ with an s. works 100%

----------------

Here's an additional link for the lockdown file
    http:// w w w.filedropper.com/114lockdowndoriginal

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SplitFire For This Useful Post:

DisownedPenny (2008-05-16)

this is my 1st time jailbreaking and the language in that post is foreign to me...lol

My apologies for my ignorance.

SSH?
    How do you replace the lockdownd file in usr/libexec/ with the original 1.1.4 lockdownd file?
    How do you set permissions of the new lockdownd file to 0755 ?

I downloaded the file from rapidshare and it is sitting on my desktop. When I click on it, it asks me what program I want to use to open the file with? wtf is that

figured out what SSH is, but I cannot access it on the iphone due to no reception.
    Last edited by emg; 2008-05-10 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

But your wifi works, right? That's what SSH uses. Download WinSCP and you can go from there.

was just reading about that. Downloaded WinSCP. I dont wifi and all the other networks coming up on the iphone are password protected. Do I need to get wifi to make this happen

Yeah, you'll need to be able to connect your phone to a wifi access point, and also have access to a computer connected (either connected by cable or wifi) to that same network.

Before you can use WinSCP to connect to your phone, you must have OpenSSH installed on the phone. Just use Installer to install this file (you may need to turn the phone off and then on to get it to work).

WinSCP will ask for the IP address, username, and password of the phone. To get the IP address, click settings, WIFI, then the blue arrow next to the wireless network you are connected to. Type this IP address into WinSCP. The username is "root" and the password is "alpine" (NO QUOTES and this assumes you haven't changed it). You'll get a prompt about a key, just click Yes. Once in, it will look like Windows Explorer. Just navigate to the directory usr/libexec/ and replace the lockdown file there.

Turn the phone off and back on.

Ok, so I have my wifi hooked up. I opened WinSCP, put in my IP address, root and alpine as the password and I get this message:

Server unexpectedly closed network connection

Why am I getting this connection? Im frustrated as hell

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you activated it using winpwn tho. your phone is actually activated by at&t and if you wanna be able to access the network, you need the original lockdown file or whatever. by activating it you bypassed your real lockdown file.

your solution is, try again and see if you can uncheck activate so you can activate properly.

OR. run bootneuter and let it unlock your phone. once its unlocked, you should get your signal back.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Why cant I use the solution splitfire recommended using WinSCP and replace the lockdownd file in usr/libexec/ with the original 1.1.4 lockdownd file? I keep getting the error message in WinSCP that reads "Server unexpectedly closed network connection". I cant get into WinSCP to even try the solution.

Smirkis, what you are saying is that if I go into itunes and restore the firmware to the original 1.1.4 and then go through the entire winpwn process again and make sure activate is not clicked when building the IPSW, I should get the reception when using my custom restore in itunes?

This is just great. So I managed to get into WinSCP to replace the lockdown file. Turned the phoe off and back on and still so signal so I figured I would restore back to original 1.1.4. and try pwning again without clicking activation and if that didnt work, pwning again with just unlocking it. Well, I didnt get the chance to do either because when I tried to restore back to the original 1.1.4, I got the failure unknown error 16 somethin message. then the iphone started switching back and forth from the ipwnage apple home screen to the steve jobs recovery screen. Now, the iphone is just stuck in the steve jobs recovery screen and the back is pretty warm. I get the iphone to appear in devices in itunes but I cant restore back to any previous firmware or any custom firmware. I tried using winpwn again but it only allows me to hit pwner and an error comes up and the program automatically closes. Tried using ziphone because I was frustrated and it doesnt let me get far at all and I wind up canceling every time.

Someone, PLEASE help me 1st get this iphone out of recovery mode. Even if I have to unlock it
    Last edited by emg; 2008-05-11 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Did you set the permissions of the original lockdownd file to 0755 after you copied it? If you didn't it will not work. Your phone will go into DFU restore mode from where you are. Open iTunes and connect phone. Hold in the sleep/wake button along with the home button. When the screen goes black wait a second and release only the sleep/wake button but do not release home button. When iTunes recognizes your phone in restore mode (make sure your screen is still all blank, if it's not you are not in DFU try again) you can release the home button and restore to the original 1.1.4. Re-pwn your phone. To set permissions on winscp just right click the file you copied in the right pane and go to properties. Change the numbers in the box to 0755. Right click it again and verify it changed. Close winscp and reboot phone. iTunes will activate your "new" lockdownd file and all will be happy in your iPhone world.
    Last edited by GoIrish; 2008-05-11 at 02:29 PM.

Ok look,,,does everyone see all that BS written above on how to get the Windows version of winpwn to unlock your phone and then it doesnt work. Well thats exactly why i havent used it.....cause if Im not mistaken,,,as of 5/11/08....its still and "F'ing" beta. So your taking your chances using that program.

What would I do: Just use Ziphone....it works 100%. No BS to worry about.

There is a button on the Ziphone program that allows you to restore your phone back to the "factory setting configurations" ( ie: baseband,,,,bootloader,,,eveything,,,restored to OTB original settings). So when the Windows version of winpwn works better,,,,one could restore there phone via that and then use the winpwn program. I guess.

So just use Ziphone till then....lol.

this was deleted by me - website double posted my above comments from above.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneuser2008 View Post
    Ok look,,,does everyone see all that BS written above on how to get the Windows version of winpwn to unlock your phone and then it doesnt work. Well thats exactly why i havent used it.....cause if Im not mistaken,,,as of 5/11/08....its still and "F'ing" beta. So your taking your chances using that program.

What would I do: Just use Ziphone....it works 100%. No BS to worry about.

There is a button on the Ziphone program that allows you to restore your phone back to the "factory setting configurations" ( ie: baseband,,,,bootloader,,,eveything,,,restored to OTB original settings). So when the Windows version of winpwn works better,,,,one could restore there phone via that and then use the winpwn program. I guess.

So just use Ziphone till then....lol.
    LMAO if you think SSH'ing a file and setting permissions is "too" much BS then you have no business even jailbreaking your phone. emg you need to learn how to use SSH anyway so might as well be now. Good luck and happy modding.

GoIrish!

OK, so I managed to get the iphone out of recovery mode. And I am am back to square one with no reception. My question now has to do with the WinSCP program. Go Irish, I think right clicked on the lockdownd file that is in the right pane and went to properties and the permission number in the octal box reads 0755. Just correct me if I am wrong here in what I am suppose to see in the right pane.

This is all under /private/var/root/library next to folders:

Installer
    Lockdown
    Lockdown_bak
    Preferences
    lockdownd

Are all of those lockdown folders suppose to be there or should I delete any. When I open each one and click on properties, they all have the permission set to 0755. Originally, I downloaded the new lockdownd folder, opened up WinSCP, looked for anything in the right pane that said lockdownd and deleted it. Then I dragged the new lockdownd file from the left pane to the right pane.

Still no reception. What am I doing wrong?

I see that I F'ed up and deleted the lockdownd file under /private/var/root/library instead of in usr/libexec/. I went back and went into usr/libexec/, deleted the lockdownd file and replaced it with new one by coping from left pane to the right pane. I changed the permission to 0755, rebooted, and still no reception. Does this have to do with the fact that I deleted the other lockdownd folders under /private/var/root/library and copied the new lockdownd file there also?

Quote Originally Posted by GoIrish View Post
    When the screen goes black wait a second and release only the sleep/wake button but do not release home button. When iTunes recognizes your phone in restore mode (make sure your screen is still all blank, if it's not you are not in DFU try again) you can release the home button and restore to the original 1.1.4. Re-pwn your phone
    Will not let me restore to original 1.1.4. "Unable to restore error 1604", So I cannot re-pwn iphone. Whats next?
    Last edited by emg; 2008-05-12 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

hey man i am having simiallar troubles except in the opposite order of you... first i couldnt restore the custom firmware because of error 1602 and then i updated itunes switched usb ports and restarted my computer and it worked fine except i had no service and bootneuter had an error... so i restored to factory 1.1.4 and made a new firmware and didnt check anything under advanced tab but still no service so i guess i will try replacing the lockdown file tonight and i will let you know if it works...we are going to get through this together!...i hope lol

Quote Originally Posted by howlett15 View Post
    so i restored to factory 1.1.4 and made a new firmware and didnt check anything under advanced tab but still no service
    at least you were able to restore to factory 1.1.4. I had to always put the phone in DFU mode for itunes to recognize it, and I couldn't restore back to factory ANY firmware or the custom one that I built. And besides all that, after the itunes shot back the error message, my iphone would flash the home screen and go right to the recovery screen where it would remain frozen. And since I winpwned it successfully before, the recovery mode boot logo was Steve Jobs yelling surprise. Thought apple knew what I was up to and was playing a sick joke by freezing my iphone so I could look at Steve Jobs.

None of the advice I received would unfreeze the iphone so I used Ziphone to just jailbreak. The jailbreak would not go through successfully but it would restore my screen back to the home screen, which left me at square one again with a pwned phone with NO reception.

After staying up 3 consecutive nights til 4am in the morning reading tons of advice, I decided to just connect to installer using my wifi and installed bootneuter. Ran bootneuter and unlocked the phone. Reception and edge appeared immediately. Didn't want to unlock the phone since I am with At&t but F it. Was so f'in frustrated. Dont see any harm in unlocking even if you have At&t.

Problem solved. Lovin it. Felt so great to made a freakin phone call. lol

that's good to hear.... But I have a question... When u loaded the custom firmware the first time did bootneuter automatically open and give you an error because that's what happened to me and then every time I manually opened it I got the same error message?!? Do you think when I make another custom f/w I should include bootneuter from the applications list? I'm confused and frustrated as well at this point!

When I loaded my custom firmware, bootneuter did not open because I didnt have that checked off in the advanced tab when I was pwning. My plan was to never unlock the phone, since I already had At&T.

If you are able to restore back to factory 1.1.4 in itunes, I would do that and then just winpwn all over again following the tutorial on hackintosh.

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36686

ok i will try that...which settings did u pick when you ran bootneuter?

Sweet, switching out the lockdownd file worked fine for me. Thanks!