Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can Apple block pwnage?

Default Can Apple block pwnage?
    Pwnage tool is great - lets us currently run unsigned firmware on the iPhone via an iTunes restore. Great! A nice safe method to jailbreak etc.

Maybe I don't fully understand the pwnage process, but - what's to stop Apple from stopping us restoring unsigned firmware from iTunes? Could they not just put a safety check in the restore process (in iTunes) that blocks unsigned firmware from being restored onto the iPhone?

I mean, if I was Apple and I didn't want people running modified software I would put blocks on the device and the application that interacts with the device!

My iPhone is a Part of Me m3thodandr3d's Avatar
    Thanks

It's not that iTunes can tell if the firmware is signed or not. The phone decides whether or not it's signed. The pwnage process removes the security checks on the phone allowing you to run unsigned code. I don't think they could block this out with iTunes. The only real way they could do it, is if they found out the exploit that pwnage uses on the phone and fixed it with a fw update. Sort of like how they changed the DFU and recovery mode with 1.1.3.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

Don't worry, if firmware can be patched... iTunes can be (and has been) patched too.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeJayCee View Post
    Pwnage tool is great - lets us currently run unsigned firmware on the iPhone via an iTunes restore. Great! A nice safe method to jailbreak etc.

Maybe I don't fully understand the pwnage process, but - what's to stop Apple from stopping us restoring unsigned firmware from iTunes? Could they not just put a safety check in the restore process (in iTunes) that blocks unsigned firmware from being restored onto the iPhone?

I mean, if I was Apple and I didn't want people running modified software I would put blocks on the device and the application that interacts with the device!
    apple isnt the one that cares if you unlock your iphone. its att. most high up apple employess have most likely jailbroken their phone.

didn't you see life on the d list when steve wozniak jailbroke kathy griffinths iphone on national television??
    iPhizzle

Quote Originally Posted by bubonicbryan View Post
    apple isnt the one that cares if you unlock your iphone. its att. most high up apple employess have most likely jailbroken their phone.

didn't you see life on the d list when steve wozniak jailbroke kathy griffinths iphone on national television??
    Woz, such a great person! Reminds me of what the Dev Team has on their site at this time We all love iPhone! Yes, Pwnage allows the iPhone to promote its device with unsigned firmware, allowing it to be customizable!

I seriously doubt high up apple employees would really care about unlocking, considering they have buckets of money and probably don't pay for an AT&T bill...

I do know a couple of Genius Bar employees with unlocked iPhones though.