Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: So what exactly is PWNAGE?

Default So what exactly is PWNAGE?
    I know its a tool to add your own firmwares. the thing is, i've been away from the unlocking/jailbreak scene for a while so I hadn't logged to this site in a while. last news I heard was when ziphone came out, I used it on my 16gb iphone and worked wonders. so i left for a while and when I come back the fuzz is all about "Pwnage"

What exactly is it? if it is for allowing us to load unsigned firmwares on the iphone, does this mean we need to download a specific "moded" firmware first?

What are its advantages?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Thanks

Thumbs up PWNage is...
    PWN is leetspeak slang term that implies domination or humiliation of a rival. In the iPhone's case, the term is used to denote like a victory for iPhone owners who do not ant to use AT&T as their service provider or simply people who want to use the phone in an unsupported country. Apple has been pwned, so to speak.
    Pwnage is actually the exploit of the lower, core levels of the iPhone in which the areas are modified to allow the iPhone to load unsigned code.
    Now in order for you to understand, you have to be really following the development of the iPhone to grasp some of the terms.
    On the users' end, the exploits have been packaged into a very simple to use graphic user interface which facilitates the process.
    For more information, you can visit the iPhone Dev Team's news page where they explain it better. You can also google the video that they released should you want to see the process.
    Some benefits of the Pwnage process are
    -The Bootneuter app. This alows you to upgrade your bootloader from 3.9 to 4.6. This will come in handy for folk who have used the 3.9 fakeblank BL or have used other software that downgraded the OTB 1.1.2, 1.1.3, 1.1.4 iPhone BL to 3.9 to achieve the unlock.
    Theoretically, the neutering of the bootloader allows it to be unlock resistant to future iPhone OS updates. You will still require it to be jailbroken and activated however. This is where the IPSW Builder comes in.
    -The IPSW builder jailbreaks and activates the restore file and allows limited customization (so far) and allows you to restore the custom firmware right from in iTunes
    -Developers can use this tool on the 2.0 beta iPhone/iPod Touch restore files so they can have less restrictive access to their devices. It is wise to note however that the iPSW builder cannot modify the files to allow Installer to run on the iPhone/iPod Touch. The installer and all other 3rd party apps developed created by the dev toolchain have a different framwork as compared to the 2.0 OS. They are incompatible and would NOT run.
    I hope I was able to help you out...
    SMS: OK
    MMS: OK
    YouTube: OK
    Maps: OK
    GPS: Frikkin Awesome!!!
    iTunes Music Store: OK
    AppStore: OK
    Cydia: Speedy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kofster For This Useful Post:

ddooddii (2008-07-18)

Oh, thanks a lot!

I unlocked/activated/jailbroke my phone with ziphone, this means I downgraded the baseband. would you recomend I use pwnage instead? or should I leave it as is?

does this mean that 2.0 breaks all prior apps no matter what?