Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pwning Question would like your input

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottvalentine's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Can Pwning destroy your phone?
    I was just wondering how low level messing with the bootloader is. Say u somehow currupted your bootloader during a write, toddler yanks out USB, power surge, etc...is your phone done? or is the DFU still intact to where it can rewrite the bootloader? Just wondering I havent messed with it yet, but am curious as to the worst case scenario. I know with jailbreaking the worst thing is a restore. Let me know what you guys think/know!
    Last edited by scottvalentine; 2008-04-08 at 04:14 AM.
    There are No stupid questions, Only stupid people

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottvalentine's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess nobody knows...maybe ill research on the google and post my findings

Bootloader - This is a very small program in non-volatile memory (can be flash, often not eraseable) that 'bootstraps' a processor startup, and calls the main (usually much larger) program. The bootloader also provides a protocol for obtaining and storing an updated version of the main program. Normally, the bootloader is not updated. It is the main program that gets upgraded, not the boot loader. Also, if something happens during the update of the main program, the bootloader will always be there to save you and restore the main program with the preferred one. However, when you update the bootloader, if anything undesireable happens, the bootloader will be corrupted. This means that the processor will not restart at all. The phone is dead for all intents and purposes at this point. Source.

Apparently if you currupt the bootloader...the only way to fix it is to replace the iphones communication board which runs about $225 US

ipwnrs....proceed with caution....someone correct me if Im spreading mis information
    Last edited by scottvalentine; 2008-04-10 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    There are No stupid questions, Only stupid people

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

the pwning process isn't touching your bootloader, only if after you pwn your phone and restored your phone with the custom firmware and you've installed BootNeuter, then upon starting BootNeuter, you decided to upgrade/downgrade your bootneuter or unlock your phone. That process can completely damage your phone IF you somehow interrupted the process.

This is the same with unlocking using ANY of the available methods out there, ZiPhone, iPlus, iLiberty

wat if some dumb headed person (like me)...did intrpt the process of boot nueter ....
    with
    3.9 fb , neuter, and unlock ...options
    is there any way to recover...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It depends on if you interrupted it during the "FLASHING BOOTLOADER - DO NOT INTERRUPT" part of it. If you did, and your baseband's not responding when you run bootneuter again, then you're toast unless you want to open up your iPhone. I think it's still possible in most cases to recover with a method based on the hardware unlock, but it's not really documented. You'd have to climb a mountain in the Himalayas to speak with a guru about it, etc.

BootNeuter and its accompanying documentation pretty much begs you to not interrupt bootloader flashing.
    Last edited by planetbeing; 2008-05-17 at 07:09 PM.

the boot neuter stuck for about 45 mins ..with no progress....and i had read somewhere that it should have taken just a few mins....i dint knw what i was supposed to do at that time...so i stopped it....
    anyways now i get an error " invalid calibration data in device tree" and the bsd root error loop follows...

ANd the main ques...:
    i am planning to get a new phone or hoping this one might be replaced.....
    Should i use boot neuter again and wat precautions can i take.....