Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreakme.com and now have big problems

Default Jailbreakme.com and now have big problems
    Hi, i am new to jailbreaking. I have always wanted to change my theme and use veency. I was running 4.3.3 on my iphone 4 and found Jailbreak.Me and decided to give it a whirl. I changed my root password but failed to change the user password as I was not aware of it until a week later. The bottom line is my yahoo account was accessed in Netherlands and in India. Spam messages were sent to all my yahoo contacts. My apple ID was also accessed and changed. Who knows what else is to come. I have been working hard to change all my passwords and such and verifying password recovery options were not changed. I have my iphone turned off until I sort out how to proceed. I really want to keep my jailbroke phone despite all this trouble.
    Can anyone tell me the best way to proceed?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You need to install the pdf patch 2 from cydia for that jailbreak or any jailbreak for that matter on 4.3.3 fw. What this does is close off the pdf security exploit and still allow you have your device jailbroken.

This was highly recommended by the devs so you wouldn't have problems with other people accessing your device as this was a huge security flaw and has already been patched by Apple in a newer fw update.
    Last edited by ihappy; 2011-07-27 at 04:52 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ihappy For This Useful Post:

JOHNTHEGREEN (2011-07-28)

Hi, thanks. I installed the PDF Patch 2 from cydia. Now, if someone had been able to access my iphone through the security flaw, will they still have access after the PDF Patch 2 was installed or will it cut them off? Thanks again, John

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Well the official site is jailbreakme.com not jailbreak.me

I would restore and use the correct site. Change all passwords that you use.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

I apologize the jailbreak.me was written in error. I used JailbreakMe 3.0.

John

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNTHEGREEN View Post
    Hi, thanks. I installed the PDF Patch 2 from cydia. Now, if someone had been able to access my iphone through the security flaw, will they still have access after the PDF Patch 2 was installed or will it cut them off? Thanks again, John
    They will no longer have access to your device once the security flaw has been patched which it seems like it is now. I would strongly recommend changing all your passwords so they longer have any access to the accounts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Yea but patching the hole only stops people from using that hole to get in. Doesn't help if they are already in.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

When I choose restore from backup (the one before the jailbreak) it alerts me that it will restore the messages, mail, etc, and NOT the firmware. Is this what I want? I would think I would want to put Apple 4.3.3 on it and then go to JailbreakMe 3.0 and then do the password changes and pdf patcher 2. I appreciate all the guidance. John

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNTHEGREEN View Post
    When I choose restore from backup (the one before the jailbreak) it alerts me that it will restore the messages, mail, etc, and NOT the firmware. Is this what I want? I would think I would want to put Apple 4.3.3 on it and then go to JailbreakMe 3.0 and then do the password changes and pdf patcher 2. I appreciate all the guidance. John
    backup restoration is different then firmware restoration. The backup restore does what it say. It basically restores the last time you synced your device to itunes. It will not alter your fw in any way.

just b/c your email was accessed it might not even be on your iphone... you might have some spyware on your pc... also... or example i logged into my gmail 1 time from a hotel computer that was in the lobby, next day i spammed the crap outa my friends... should def run a spyware check on all your places u access your email in addition to changing password.

I scanned my Mac and found no threats. Because my apple Id was hacked as well as my yahoo email, and within the same time frame of the jailbreak I presumed it had to be through the phone. Since getting my iPhone I rarely use my Mac anymore. I use a pc at work but do not use it for personal stuff at all. I don't think I used any other computers anywhere else that I can recall. The pw has been changed as well as my security questions and alternate email. Now I'm corresponding with yahoo and apple to learn more, but it seems I'm wasting my time with them. Thanks!