Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Blackra!n upgrade?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Blackra!n upgrade?
    Hi guys I'm a new member to the forum but have been browsing the forums for a while now. I have a iPhone 3G[S] running 3.1.2 fw and a baseband of 05.11.07 and I jailbroke my iPhone using blackra!n and it's an tethered jailbreak (meaning I have to connect it to my computer everytime I reboot my iPhone (which doesn't happen too often but still poses abit of an inconvenience) my question is:
    is there a way of either re-jailbreaking my iPhone making it and untethered jailbreak or somehow jailbreaking with a different method without having to restore. I don't want to restore as I have alot of 3rd party software and apps, I know I can just reinstall everything after it's restored then jailbroken but I want to stick to 3.1.2 and not upgrade to ios4 as I don't like the way multitasking is dealt with on ios4 I prefer to use proswitcher which isn't compatable with ios4.

Thank you in advance for trying help with a solution. Your help is much appreciated.

There is an untethered jailbreak at 3.1.2, it's called spir1t, but you will need to restore to a clean 3.1.2 first. There's no way to do it without restoring.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

snake_eyes (2010-11-18)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Am I able to restore to 3.1.2 though? I thought it would automatically upgrade me to 4.1 or 4.2 if it's out?

Since it was jailbroken at 3.1.2 there's a very good chance you've got 3.1.2 SHSH blob saved so you will be able to restore to it.

Look in Cydia and at the top of the page (when loaded) it should state which SHSH you've got (and hence which firmware you can go to).

If you have 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 then download tiny umbrella and click save my SHSH. This will save them locally. Then download version 9.0 of itunes.

Download the stock firmware from apple for 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 and then start the TSS server in tiny umbrella.

Start itunes and hold Command (Mac) or Shift (Windows) and click restore. Browse to the stock firmware file and let itunes do the restore.

Once done, download spir1t jailbreak, and run the executable.

Upgrade itunes back to latest and restore your phone from backup, reinstall as many apps as you can through cydia.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

snake_eyes (2010-11-18)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you so much mate that's a great help. Sorry to be a pain but why after spirit jailbreak do I then upgrade iTunes and again restore my phone and from what backup? Also instead (once restored) could I not use jailbreakme.com or what ever the site is?
    Thank you again.

Yes jailbreakme would be easier as you won't need to downgrade your iTunes doing that.

Skip the part above about spirit!

After the Restore when the phone reconnects to iTunes you get the option to either restore your phone from backup or set up as new. If you select restore from back it won't change your firmware it will just restore your settings from backup and after the sync will be setup as you had it prior to the restore.

Just thinking.... Do you have an official sim card to activate the phone after the restore?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes mate I do, won't need to hacktivate it. Thank you so much mate you've been a great help. If you ever have any questions about PC's, hardware or software just ask matey. Thank you again.

No probs good luck with it.