Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Upgrade to a Firmware that isn't the Latest One

Post How to Upgrade to a Firmware that isn't the Latest One
    Have you ever been in the situation where you have been on holiday or have been waiting for your new iDevice to arrive, just ready to jailbreak it with the brand new tool and apple release a patch and it can no longer be Jailbroken on the latest firmware. These are times when you wish there was a solution which allows you to upgrade you device to a firmware that isn’t the latest one, or to start a new device of on an old firmware. Well there is now a way to do it!!! Firstly you will need an .apple firmware file containing the firmware you want to upgrade to; this can be obtained from here iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download. Secondly you will need a program called 7-Zip; you can obtain this from here 7-Zip. To start off you will need to change the file extension from .ipsw to .zip; this allows you to edit the files within. Now open the new .zip file up and extract all of the files into another folder. Open the folder up and look for a file called restore.plist. If it is the first time you have opened a file of this type then windows will prompt you for a program to edit it in; unless you have a alternative, I would recommend notepad or WordPad (if you have a choice use WordPad). Now scroll down until you see a line containing “<key>ProductVersion</key>”, this is the property that tells iTunes what firmware the file contains; underneath this line there should be something like this “<string>4.1</string>” change the value of the string (e.g. 4.1 in this case)in the to the latest firmware that has been realised by apple. Once this is done save and close WordPad. Now go back into the folder and select all of the files in that folder and right click; if 7-Zip installed correctly A new item should appear in the menu with 7-Zip as its name - expand this and select the “Add to archive...” option. Make sure that the “Archive Format” selection is set to Zip, no other settings need to be changed; now click “ok”. When the archiving finishes just change the file extension back to .ipsw; now you will have your new custom firmware. Open iTunes and connect your Device. Where it says about updating hold down the left shift key and select your custom firmware. iTunes should recognise this firmware and upgrade for you. Hope I helped!!!

P.S This is only tested on Windows and if The upgrade button in iTunes doesn’t work try the restore button.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

This method will not fool itunes to restoring unless you already have the appropriate SHSH for the firmware you are trying to restore to.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

This method does not work. It has already been tested and found that only devices with SHSHs can do so (and can do so without following these steps). I have personally done this already before, and on 2 new 4.0.2 devices, it failed.

Well it worked for me on my iPod touch 3G upgrading from 3.1.3 to 4.0 when 4.0.2 was the latest.

Thanks

Thats because you had SHSH for 4.0. You just didnt know it.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Either that or you did the restore during the short window between the release of 4.0.2 and when apple stopped signing 4.0.1. There was an entire week after the release of 4.0.2 that still allowed for 4.0.1 restores without SHSHs.

1. I had never been on 4.0 in my life.
    2. It was 4.0 not 4.0.1

Thanks

You do not need to be on 4.0 to save SHSH for 4.0. Download tiny umbrella, connect your device, and press save SHSH. I bet you find you have 4.0 SHSH.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

mniceguy81 (2010-11-06)

Yes I do now cuz I've been on 4.0 and I saved it with tiny umbrella but cydia also tells you which ones you have and there was definetly no 4.0 there.

Thanks

You are confused. You can only save SHSH when Apple is signing that firmware. It does not matter if you are on 4.0, that doesnt have any bearing on if you can save your SHSH. The catch to this is that as long as you requested your 4.0 SHSH (there are a number of ways to do this, even without you realizing this) before 4.1 came out then you will have been able to get your 4.0 SHSH.

So you either requested your 4.0 SHSH somehow without realizing or you did this before 4.1 came out.

And also you need to run the TSS server to use your shshs and I didn't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Satimal View Post
    And also you need to run the TSS server to use your shshs and I didn't.
    No you dont. You can also do it by pointing your hosts file to cydia which can be done manually or if you have ever opened tiny umbrella closing it automatically changes your hosts file to cydia.

But cydia tells me which ones I have and I remember them stacking up after a upgrade and not before, and if this hosts file thing is true then y doesn't this method work for downgrading?

Thanks

It does work for downgrading, as long as you have SHSH in cydia for the firmware you are trying to download to.

Also cydia isn't always 100% accurate in what it says. For the last few weeks cydia had not been reporting any SHSH. But that doesn't mean that they were not there.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Long story short, SHSHs are needed won't work for any device without.