Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Questions about restoring 3.1.3 and upgrading to 4.1

Default Questions about restoring 3.1.3 and upgrading to 4.1
    Hi. I decided to upgrade from 3.1.2 on my iPhone 3GS (I think, old bootrom) to 3.1.3 using Sn0wbreeze earlier this week. I found that my phone now runs very hot and the battery life is significantly shortened. I'm thinking about restoring to 3.1.3 or upgrading to 4.1. I only need to jailbreak and not unlock. I have a few questions:

1) If I restore back to 3.1.3 again, do I need to downgrade back to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with blackra1n before running Sn0wbreeze again?

2) If I upgrade to 4.1 using Sn0wbreeze, do I need also need to downgrade and jailbreak (as noted in above question)? Do I need to update my iTunes (currently at version 9.0) before I upgrade?

3) For either case, is it better to start new or can I restore my settings? I know that if I upgrade to 4.1, I can't use Aptbackup to restore my jailbreak apps.

Which is the better firmware for a 32GB 3GS (presumably) old bootrom phone?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Since your iphone has been able to accept Snowbreeze, it can always accept Custom firmware.
    All you need to do is put your iphone into recovery mode.
    Download Snowbreeze 2.0.2 and stock 4.1 ipsw.
    Build your snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw and it will be placed on your desktop.
    Now do the Shift + Restore to Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw.

You do not need to restore to stock 3.1.2 again and do the jailbreak. As long as you stay away from Stock Firmware, you are good to use any custom firmware regardless of upgrading or downgrading.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Curious D (2010-10-04)

If I go to 4.1, do I need to upgrade my iTunes from 9.0 prior to the upgrade?

You have recommended 4.1 to others in the past. I haven't been able to see any consensus to any problems with 4.1. There were reports of cellular and wifi signal going haywire with the original 4.0 OS. Have you heard of problems with 4.1? In addition to my battery life going south, my 3g service is a bit weaker as well on 3.1.3. Is 4.1 superior to 3.1.3 in regards to stability for signal and battery life for the 3GS?

I have hundreds of apps (over 500) in my phone. When I restore or upgrade, is it better to start new rather than restore?

Thanks for all your input.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Yes, any itunes update to 10 for iOS 4.1 , you should be fine.

4.1 fixes most issues with 4.0.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-04 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Curious D (2010-10-04)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You should always set your phone up as new to prevent previous problems from carrying over. As long as you "transfer purchases" in iTunes (right-click device and select) and sync your iTunes to keep all the music and apps from your phone into iTunes, you won't lose them. After setting up as new, you can resync and it will stick the apps and music right back onto your phone.

You will however lose your contacts and photos so back those up manually on your computer.

Thanks for the replies. I have been reading other threads which has gotten me a bit confused. In a few posts, I read that there are no jailbreaks for OS 4.1. However, if I install the custom firmware to 4.1, it will be a jailbroken 4.1 device, right? Does the initial statement refer to those who have stock OS 4.1 rather than those who are upgrading to a custom firmware? If I needed to go back to the custom firmware for 3.1.3, would it be difficult?

I really like some of my jailbroken apps like SBSettings, Iconoclasm, Infinidock, Shrink, SBSilent Toggles. There is a Google Docs that seems to keep up with compatibility, but I'm not sure it reflects use with 4.1. Is it better to hold off for now with respect to Cydia apps?