Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading 3.1.2 to 4.0.1 Error in Itunes

Default Upgrading 3.1.2 to 4.0.1 Error in Itunes
    I have a 3gs tethered at 3.1.2 and im looking to upgrade to 4.0.1 to use jailbreakme.com but for some reason itunes would just give me an error every time i Shift+click restore to the previously downloaded 4.0.1 firmware.

Any ideas as to why or how i would go about doing this? Thanks!

im having the exact same issue but im on 3.1.3 and i cant even use my phone now :S its suck on the restore screen has that happened to you?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Do you have your SHSH saved for 4.0.1? If so just adjust your host file to point at Saurik's server then you should be able to upgrade to 4.0.1.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

when i try to restore to 4.0.1 its giving me an error message in itunes saying "The iphone "name" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (3194)"

Cer0: How do i go about saving SHSH for 4.0.1? Please let me know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Do you have your SHSH saved for 4.0.1? If so just adjust your host file to point at Saurik's server then you should be able to upgrade to 4.0.1.
    yes my shsh are saved in cydia according to tiny umbrella and cydia ive tried manually changing the host file and the tiny umbrella method but none worked :S although it let me reboot mine to 3.1.3 for some reason that worked with no problems

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Make sure the host file doesn't have a # in front of the redirect to saurik's server.

Quote Originally Posted by JTN930 View Post
    when i try to restore to 4.0.1 its giving me an error message in itunes saying "The iphone "name" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (3194)"

Cer0: How do i go about saving SHSH for 4.0.1? Please let me know. Thanks!
    Apple stopped signing 4.0.1 firmware so you cannot get that SHSH anymore.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-09-16 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Ye it's blank In front all I'm typing is:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

all the way at the end but it'll let me do 3.1.3 but not 4.0.1 I don't know why

I'm on the same boat. I have a 3gs 16gb trying to upgrade to 4.0.1 but keep getting that error.
    Cydia reports that I have 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 blob on file. And I know the host file redirect correctly since I successfully reveresed my iPod touch from 4.1 to 4.0 yesterday. Also tried tunyumbrella but same error appeared

One thing tho does the iPhone need to be in recovery mode or dfu. Cause I've been doing mine with it in recovery does that make a difference :/

Ok I got it, I've successfully upgrade it to 4.0.1 by doing the restore while the phone in DFU mode (not recovery mode). However this will also deactivate the phone and you will need a carrier SIM to activate it again. So keep that in mind if you don't have one around or a friend that does.

well ive just just again ang again but still nothing :S tried DFU and Recovery modes now still getting the same stupid error "itunes connot restore the iphone 'iphone' ... error (13)"

could it be the firmware file ive got although i got it from the downloads sction on this website :S