Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: i may sound unbelievable

Default i may sound unbelievable
    but i just downgrade an iphone from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1. it was an MB model and i used the shift-restore method. i put the phone in recovery mode not dfu mode and i select the 4.0.1 software i downloaded. im still using itunes version 9.2 and i restored with no errors. anyone else had success like this or is this "normal"?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to drewski601 For This Useful Post:

lorenwade (2010-09-08)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

My bet is that it's normal. What model iPhone, 3G, 3GS? Saved SHSHs? TinyUmbrella or hosts re-direct?

iphone 3g 16gb no saved shsh. this phone has never been jailbroken so i couldnt use saurik's server. i personally think i worked because i havent upgraded my itunes to versioin 10 yet but i could be wrong

3g do not need shsh.

Like A Boss

6. The Following User Says Thank You to metaljay For This Useful Post:

soulthoughts (2010-09-07)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, but thanks for playing!

Apple usually doesn't check on older models so u may have gotten lucky on that one. On 3gs apple usually has to verify before restoring. That's just what I've heard though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to diegovengeance For This Useful Post:

chad daddy (2010-09-08)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metaljay View Post
    3g do not need shsh.
    Wrong, Apple has been soft signing firmwares on the iPhone 3G since iOS 4.0. So, you do need SHSH blobs saved on Cydia to restore any iOS 4.x firmware, which Apple has stopped signing.

That being said, the iPhone 3G can be downgraded to 3.x without SHSH blobs saved in Cydia. This is because 3.x firmwares are not soft signed.

Quote Originally Posted by drewski601
    but i just downgrade an iphone from 4.0.2 to 4.0.1. it was an MB model and i used the shift-restore method. i put the phone in recovery mode not dfu mode and i select the 4.0.1 software i downloaded. im still using itunes version 9.2 and i restored with no errors. anyone else had success like this or is this "normal"?
    I don't see how this is possible unless you you saved your SHSH blobs for firmware 4.0.1 in Cydia. Check your hosts file for

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

This would redirect SHSH verification process to Cydia's servers, instead of Apple's servers.

FYI, the iPhone 3G on iOS 4.x uses sofware signing, whereas the iPhone 3GS/4 used hardware based signing on all supported firmwares.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by drewski601 View Post
    Just did this too and it worked. I've been trying a way to jailbreak from 4.0.2 without buttons because my friend's 3G power button doesn't work. I just downgraded via iTunes to 4.0.1. (Yes, I'm new here, been browsing MMi for ways to do this for a while and guess I got lucky!)

EDIT: Forgot to say that I have tried this in the past and it never worked... until today.
    Last edited by lorenwade; 2010-09-08 at 06:08 PM.