Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What is correct upgrade prior to using jailbreakme.com?

Default What is correct upgrade prior to using jailbreakme.com?
    There are all kinds of posts about how simple the new jb is using jailbreakme.com but I have yet to find out if we continue to shift + restore or just upgrade before jailbreaking with jailbreakme.com. I've got a 3GS running 4.0 with snowbreeze but I've been having problems with my phone just randomly shutting off all the time as in at least once a day and sometimes more. Nothing turns it on besides holding both the power and home buttons to reboot it. Besides that, now my phone seems to be shutting down when its reached about 50% battery and when I just hold the power button to turn it on, it starts to boot up but once it does, it just shuts off again and the only way to get it to stay on is to plug it in for awhile. So I want restore and jailbreak because I can't just upgrade now that 4.02 is out. But can I just hit shift + restore and restore to the 4.01 firmware I have saved on my pc or should I put my phone in recovery first by turning it off and holding the home button as I plug it in? Thank you for your help. I gotta fix this problem before it drives me to drink. Cheers.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??? Bueller???? lol
    Last edited by bobsco; 2010-08-23 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Did you save your SHSH blobs like Cydia told you to?

Yes.....when I log onto cydia, it says: This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS/iOS: 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1.
    Last edited by bobsco; 2010-08-23 at 05:45 PM.

Then Im pretty sure you should be able to just shift restore to 4.0.1 and jailbreak it with jailbreakme.com...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ajl917 For This Useful Post:

bobsco (2010-08-23)

Thanks.

I tried to restore to 4.01 but it gave me error #3194. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by bobsco; 2010-08-24 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I just read up on that error and I think it's because when downgrading your phone, you need to put your phone into DFU mode. Try this link, Downgrade iPhone 4.0.2 to iOS 4/4.0.1

I've been having problems using my SHSH saved on cydia for some reason. I made all the necessary changes for it to work but it never does. So I found a copy of firmware 4.0 with NO_ACTIVATE and first tried to install in DFU mode and got the same error and then just tried it with my phone on and it worked. Although, I'm still running into the same errors. I've been told that it may just be my battery. So I have an appointment at the apple store on Thursday morning. Who knows, maybe I'll walk out with a new iPhone4.

well you dont need to restore or downgrade or anything. you can jailbreak the 3GS 4.0.2 with a custom .ipsw created with pwnage tool. but yeah i agree it looks like your problem is more hardware related than software.