Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Want to Uograde iPhone 2g to latest FW

Default Want to Uograde iPhone 2g to latest FW
    ....and then JB it again.

What would be the least painful way to do this?

I was thinking

1) do a restore in iTunes (or should I just update in iTunes and lose my current JB?)
    2) Use my SIM from my 3GS iPhone to get the 2g activated
    3) go to jailbreakme.com through safari and JB again

Is there a better way?

Should have mentioned the 2g iPhone is currently on FW 3.0
    Last edited by deadringer; 2010-08-08 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

83 views and not one reply? Do i need to donate in order to get advice here?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

Btw, there were so many views and no replies cuz there are already tons of threads and guides on this topic
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-14 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

deadringer (2010-08-16)

Thanks for the link. Can I ask why you think this method is easier than using Spirit? I have a Live SIM I can use to activate the phone. If I use that SIM to activate/unlock after I shift/restore would using spirit or even jailbreakme.com be easier than Redsn0w? Would using that SIM affect it's use on the iPhone 3GS it is normally used it?

I can understand why it would be annoying to try and reply to a topic that has been covered before. However there is always new information on new tools so sometimes when you do a search and the results come back with older threads it is hard to trust that the information in the older threads are still valid.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

Btw, there were so many views and no replies cuz there are already tons of threads and guides on this topic
    Last edited by deadringer; 2010-08-16 at 05:14 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

2G phones dont upgrade past 3.1.3. All development of jailbreaks and unlocks for 2G phone has ceased and remains the same because Apple is no longer updating them. Therefor, there are and will not be new tools released for 2G phones. They will be able to be jailbroken and unlocked via the same method I showed you, with that link.

Im sorry to be blunt, but honestly there is no valid reason to post on a topic much frequently discussed and already answered. Thanks for a mature response and I hope you will achieve what you are looking for by the link I provided. Its the most accurate and latest guide for 2G phones on 3.1.x.

Edit: i forgot to say...sure you could use jailbreakme. If you needed an unlock, redsn0w is a one-step jailbreak and unlock tool so its so easy. But if you dont need an unlock, go ahead and use jailbreakme.

Your 3GS SIM wont be affected.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-16 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

deadringer (2010-08-17)

Thanks a lot for the responses. I will go ahead and do the Redsn0w process.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    2G phones dont upgrade past 3.1.3. All development of jailbreaks and unlocks for 2G phone has ceased and remains the same because Apple is no longer updating them. Therefor, there are and will not be new tools released for 2G phones. They will be able to be jailbroken and unlocked via the same method I showed you, with that link.

Im sorry to be blunt, but honestly there is no valid reason to post on a topic much frequently discussed and already answered. Thanks for a mature response and I hope you will achieve what you are looking for by the link I provided. Its the most accurate and latest guide for 2G phones on 3.1.x.

Edit: i forgot to say...sure you could use jailbreakme. If you needed an unlock, redsn0w is a one-step jailbreak and unlock tool so its so easy. But if you dont need an unlock, go ahead and use jailbreakme.

Your 3GS SIM wont be affected.