Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: going from JB 3Gs fw3.1 to 4.0.1

Default going from JB 3Gs fw3.1 to 4.0.1
    **UPDATED **

I am worried about losing my SHSH's.

1.If I update in iTunes to 4.0.1 before using jailbreakme.com will I lose my SHSH's?

2. I have read in some posts to do a restore before updating. Won't that erase Cydia and in turn erase my SHSH's?

3. Is there anything I should be cautious about when going from JB 3.1 to 4.0.1 via jailbreakme.com?

[This is what I added to my original post]

Alright well I had trouble finding help anywhere so I decided to wing it.

Here is what I did to jailbreak my 3GS:

1. I found a tutorial on backing up my SHSH's. It may not be necessary but I did it anyways. I followed this tutorial at iClarified which shows how to use TinyUmbrella.
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Backup Your SHSH Blobs Using Firmware Umbrella [Windows]

2. Synced iPhone in iTunes.
    3. Tried updating my iPhone FW but iTunes said it needed to be updated first. So I let iTunes update and I now have iTunes version 9.2.1.5.

After the update I did not have any problems with being stuck on the emergency screen like many people have posted but I am a Rogers customer with a Rogers sim so that's why.

4. Went to jailbreakme.com in Safari and the first time it crashed right away. So I tried again and it worked. Now I'm jailbroken!
    You can use this tutorial:
    How to Jailbreak the iPhone 4

-I didn't have one of the supported fw versions noted in the tutorial but that was ok because I update to 4.0.1 via iTunes and 4.0.1 is supported.

-I also have the little "white" line at the top of my screen during boot up like everyone else but rest assured, this is normal.

-I didn't need to unlock because I am a rogers customer using a rogers phone but if you need to unlock your phone look into ultrasn0w.
    Last edited by wagar2; 2010-08-05 at 01:10 AM. Reason: because this stupid site won't let me reply to my own post