Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Spirit/Cydia question

Default Spirit/Cydia question
    I have an iphone 3G with version 3.1 firmware. I use only Linux computers and do no have any windows computers so I don't have itunes. I am able to sync music with Rythmbox and have found a way to get pics onto and off phone but that's about it. I want to be able to add ringtones and do other things so I got to reading about jailbreaking to get access to the OS shell via SSH. Jailbreak utilities are few and far between for Linux, but I was able to find Spirit.

I connected my iPhone via USB and and kicked off spirit. It says it found the phone, phone said "Restoration in Progress", then rebooted. Spirit says jail breaking was successful.

No my problem. It did not appear to have installed Cydia so I can't install OpenSSh or anything else.

Does anyone know of a way to get Cydia installed at this point? Again, I don't have any windows systems to itunes is not an option at this point.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

K Russ

did you try reajlbreaking? because when i used spirit cydia automatically appeared after jailbreak

Thanks

Spirit does not work on 3.1. 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 only. Likewise jailbreakme is for 3.1.2 and up. In order to use either you'd have to find a way to upgrade the fw first.

Blackra1n jailbreaks 3.1, but that's win and osx only. Not sure how well it'll run under wine.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-08-07 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost