Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Comprehensive Spirit iphone 3gs 3.1.3 Guide..

Default Comprehensive Spirit iphone 3gs 3.1.3 Guide..
    I will be jailbreaking my iphone 3gs 3.1.3 as soon as I know everything there is to about using spirit including how to restore ect.

There are still a few things I'm not 100% on, such as checking i have successfully got my shsh blob. I want to be sure i can restore back to a normal jailed state.

Writing a guide to jailbreak any iphone thats updated to 3.1.3 non jailbroken and non unlocked.. Including ways to restore and possible a FAQ

Any advice to add into this guide would be appreciated

Step 1
    Download the latest version of apples firmware and update the iPhone to 3.1.3, Itunes downloads to various locations depending on your version of windows or other OS, quick google helps:
    C: \Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
    Keep a copy of this file to keep things simple.

Step 2
    Download a file called usbview, run it and put your iphone into recovery mode by doing the following: unplug your iphone from the computer, turn it off completely. Hold the home button and plug it into the computer while continuing to hold the home button, wait untill the apple logo changes to the itunes symbol and has a sub cord logo underneath that. Let go of the home button and itunes will say it has detected your iphone in recovery mode, for the moment ignore this.
    In usbview click options/config descriptors
    -Tick this option
    Scroll down and look for "Apple Recovery (iBoot) USB drive"
    -Select it and look in the right navigation panel to find the ECID
    -Copy this and save it

Now that you have your ECID its time to save your shsh blob. From what i have found umbrella is a good application to achieve this.
    After downloading it, you run the program and it will automatically save the ECID locally or store it automatically on sauriks cydia server. Its suggested to do both.

This is where im stuck, how can i check without jailbreaking that i have successfully done this?
    I'm having trouble understanding how to use tinytss to load my locally stored shsh blob
    Is it impossible for itunes to communicate with apples servers if i change the host file to direct it to sauriks cydia server?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

SHSH Blobs are automatically backed up by Cydia. On the main page of Cydia it will tell you it is backing them up (pending) then when it is done.

Regards

OliphanT
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-05-20 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Spam Removed

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

Not sure this is the proper place to post this but here goes;

I've got a 3GS I recently updated to 3.1.3 via iTunes from 3.1.2 that was JB via Blackra1n. I had a software problem of some sort and had to do a restore only to find my new Mac computer would not allow me to restore to 3.1.2. Forcing me to update to 3.1.3 as stated above.

Luckily there is the "Spirit" JB program so I wasn't too upset about upping the software. The Program is amazing btw only now I'm having serious problems every time I download an app from cydia, rock, the app store, and appcake my springboard crashes and will not restart unless I uninstall whatever app I just installed... WTF!!!! Please help, I do not want to have to downgrade to 3.1.2 again...I don't even know how I would do that seeing as iTunes will not "approve" or whatever my downloaded 3.1.2 firmware when I try to restore and select the firmware manually.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ridingsupreme View Post
    I had a software problem of some sort
    What was your original software problem?

new Mac computer would not allow me to restore to 3.1.2.
    This is normal, it will only let you restore to the latest version because that is the only one being permitted by Apple.

I'm having serious problems every time I download an app from cydia, rock, the app store
    Try it again, this time without Rock and see how you go. When its all stable and working, then load the Rock App.

Please help, I do not want to have to downgrade to 3.1.2 again...I don't even know how I would do that seeing as iTunes will not "approve" or whatever my downloaded 3.1.2 firmware when I try to restore and select the firmware manually.
    Did you use an unlock with your iPhone? If so you will need to run 3.1.2 because there is no unlock for 3.1.3.

Regards

OliphanT
    (Spam)
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-05-20 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Spam Removed

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OliphanT For This Useful Post:

ridingsupreme (2010-05-20)

Thanks

man I appreciate your help!! what do you mean try it again? I uninstalled Rock app, and rock extensions. I immediately when to the app store app to upgrade a couple apps and the springboard crashed again as soon as I tapped update.... although this time the springboard reloads the first time after crashing...

I'm going to try uninstalling appcake and see how that works. doing a power off/on as well
    Last edited by ridingsupreme; 2010-05-18 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What I mean by try again is start from scratch.

If you cannot get it working properly then do a DFU restore (wipes the phone with a clean 3.1.3 image), then restore your non-JB backup, then re-jailbreak and install your JB apps except for Rock and see how you go.

OliphanT

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OliphanT For This Useful Post:

ridingsupreme (2010-05-18)

Thanks

OK so big problems still. Uninstalled appcake, rock app, rock extensions. hard reboot. and still as soon as I try to do install or upgrade apps in the appstore or cydia I get a crash which it will not restart from unless I uninstall the app

sorry if this sounds retarded but starting from scratch would mean doing a DFU restore correct? or did u mean doing a DFU is a last resort and "starting from scratch" is something else? Holy cow nice response time! I got lucky with this one! Thanks so much!
    Last edited by ridingsupreme; 2010-05-18 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wonder is there is an apt command to re-install Cydia, probably but in your case you may have other issues. Once you have done the DFU restore and your non-JB backup wait for a day to make sure the basic phone is stable. Then re-jailbreak, add Cydia and see how you go from there.

DFU Restore = Starting from Scratch
    Last edited by OliphanT; 2010-05-18 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OliphanT For This Useful Post:

ridingsupreme (2010-05-18)

Thanks

Ok I'll do that and let u know how it goes. Thank you so much!

Thanks

Ok so I restored via DFU mode but I restored with a backup rather than starting as a new phone as I do not want to loose my contacts again. everything worked just re jail-broke via "Spirit" its phenomenal how efficient and quickly the program works!! So far so good. I love Rock as it is far superior to cydia, not to mention the fact that my entire app list is stored on a backup list which makes life so much easier...

ok so restored all my stuff via rock and now Rock is detecting all the issues that were causing my crashes. These extensions are causing me to crash;

SBRotator
    ProSwitcher
    StatusNotifier
    libhide...
    backgrounder
    catagoriesSB

ok everytime i disable an extension it just keeps erroring down the whole friggin list...

The only extension working perfectly at the moment that i've tried thus far is Winterboard... anyone have any ideas as to why i'm having problems with the others I mentioned or all of them in general. is it just the fact that the dev's havent updated the compatibility with 3.1.3 3GS FW?
    Last edited by ridingsupreme; 2010-05-20 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

your problems are because you restored from a back-up, you will not be clear of this crud until you restore as a new iPhone. Your contacts/calendar/photos etc should all be saved if you sync with Outlook or the Mac equivolent and it will ask if you want to merge these. You will lose your old SMS messages but there are ways to extract these from an old back up if you need them (not going into that here).
    Go back and DFU restore again, the whole point of DFU is that you erase everything and start with a virgin iPhone, absolutely no point if you then restore from a back-up as you have discovered!
    Good luck this time.

Thanks

Thanks for the help. turns out I just needed to do a consistency check on all the installed apps and extensions. (THANK YOU ROCK!!!) once I resinstalled all the extensions I was able to run them all and everything is working perfectly at the moment. What did we learn?

3GS with 3.1.3 is easily possible via SPIRIT JB!!! TY!
    ROCK APP IS BETTER THAN CYDIA ONCE AGAIN!!
    People on this forum kick as$.

Stay classy modmyi members