Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Blackra1n hanging on itunes/usb screen INFO/411

Default Blackra1n hanging on itunes/usb screen INFO/411
    Iphone 3GS
    3.1.2 FW
    05.11.07 BB
    5.6 Carrier

Windows 7 ---->Bootcamp

downloaded blackra1n to desktop, open the EXE, clicked "make it rain" and it took 30 seconds to Jailbreak.

Iphone ---> 3G
    3.1.2 FW
    05.11.07 BB
    5.6 Carrier

**same setup**

Did not work, it would hang on the itunes/usb screen. Like many of you, I tried 20+ times and still got no results.
    Also, like many of you i search the web to see if i could find a solution and people are suggesting to copy it to

C:
    shutdown anti-virus
    close itunes
    open itunes but disconnect the iphone
    reboot PC
    retore iphone FW
    uninstall apps
    turn on airplane mode
    disconnect from the internet
    etc etc.....

STOP

GEOHOT stated that 3G support is flaky and you just need to keep trying and eventually it will past DFU mode and install blackra1n.

Why do you think there is so many success stories but all with different PC setups and configs.

Bottom line, just keep trying. I was just anonyed at people thinking their PC had to be setup a certain way for it to work properly.

FYI......

DId another successful JB on a Iphone 3G. This one took about 2 hours to work.

Again, no crazy/special method just.......turning on and off the lights in my room 5x, and shutting my eyes for 45 seconds (sarcasm off)
    Last edited by ace00; 2009-10-13 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ace00 For This Useful Post:

dezl (2009-10-16)

GEOHOT stated that 3G support is flaky and you just need to keep trying and eventually it will past DFU mode and install blackra1n.

Why do you think there is so many success stories but all with different PC setups and configs.

Bottom line, just keep trying. I was just anonyed at people thinking their PC had to be setup a certain way for it to work properly.

FYI......

Ok, question concerning above statement....when a person keeps trying, does that person have to constantly restore thru itunes to try again? In other words, when it asks for itunes, should we then plug it into itunes and let it keep restoring or should we ignore that and try to reboot the phone? Or is there some other step I am missing? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dancincat View Post

FYI......

Ok, question concerning above statement....when a person keeps trying, does that person have to constantly restore thru itunes to try again? In other words, when it asks for itunes, should we then plug it into itunes and let it keep restoring or should we ignore that and try to reboot the phone? Or is there some other step I am missing? Thanks.

When you get stuck on itunes/usb screen just uplug the usb cable from the iphone and hold down the iphone's power button and home button until it shuts off.

you do not need to restore the phone or FW etc....

(PC) click and exit the pop up generated by blackra1n and close blackra1n application.

turn on the phone again and start over with the process.

plug in the cable to the iphone
    start blackra1n
    click "make it rain"
    phone reboots by itself
    you see the apple logo
    then the itunes/usb screen for 5-10 sec. then you should see geohot picture.

again it took me many tries before it actually worked.

well for me after i "make it rain" it puts my phone into dfu mode gets stuck.. then when i power off and on again. and load up blackrain again. It does nothing to my phone.. cause its already in DFU mode.. what do i do after that?

Quote Originally Posted by xskinnerx View Post
    well for me after i "make it rain" it puts my phone into dfu mode gets stuck.. then when i power off and on again. and load up blackrain again. It does nothing to my phone.. cause its already in DFU mode.. what do i do after that?
    If you mean that once you hold down the home and power button for 10 seconds and you try to power the phone up again and it goes back to recovery/DFU mode (itunes/usb screen) you can either plug the usb cord back into the iphone to restore it.

what was your process? on a mac or pc?

Quote Originally Posted by ace00 View Post
    Iphone 3GS
    3.1.2 FW
    05.11.07 BB
    5.6 Carrier

Windows 7 ---->Bootcamp

downloaded blackra1n to desktop, open the EXE, clicked "make it rain" and it took 30 seconds to Jailbreak.

Iphone ---> 3G
    3.1.2 FW
    05.11.07 BB
    5.6 Carrier

**same setup**

Did not work, it would hang on the itunes/usb screen. Like many of you, I tried 20+ times and still got no results.
    Also, like many of you i search the web to see if i could find a solution and people are suggesting to copy it to

C:
    shutdown anti-virus
    close itunes
    open itunes but disconnect the iphone
    reboot PC
    retore iphone FW
    uninstall apps
    turn on airplane mode
    disconnect from the internet
    etc etc.....

STOP

FYI......

Again, no crazy/special method just.......turning on and off the lights in my room 5x, and shutting my eyes for 45 seconds (sarcasm off)
    so after trying all the stupid tricks and tips for two days I decide to follow your steps, I restart my phone, unplug it and plug it back it and....I get to geohot's ugly mug!

thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dezl View Post
    so after trying all the stupid tricks and tips for two days I decide to follow your steps, I restart my phone, unplug it and plug it back it and....I get to geohot's ugly mug!

thanks!!!!

Thanks, i guess..............

But I didn't give you a solution/fix, nor do i claim that i have one. It was you being persistent. Unfortunately, there isn't a solid 100% error free method.

BTW, thanks for the "THANKS" LOL

i'm thanking a thank you...hahah
    Last edited by ace00; 2009-10-16 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you mean that once you hold down the home and power button for 10 seconds and you try to power the phone up again and it goes back to recovery/DFU mode (itunes/usb screen) you can either plug the usb cord back into the iphone to restore it.

what was your process? on a mac or pc?
    Yes, I held down home and power for 10 seconds. It then powered back up straight into DFU mode (itunes/usb screen)plugged in or not plugged in. I have restored it about 20 times doing the same method thinking the next time it will work..

I'm using a PC aka it says my stats across from my name.

and I have a 2G iphone
    Last edited by xskinnerx; 2009-10-16 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks, i guess..............

But I didn't give you a solution/fix, nor do i claim that i have one. It was you being persistent. Unfortunately, there isn't a solid 100% error free method.

BTW, thanks for the "THANKS" LOL

i'm thanking a thank you...hahah
    well thanks! lol, all I know is I was reading your post and it worked.

Yes, I held down home and power for 10 seconds. It then powered back up straight into DFU mode (itunes/usb screen)plugged in or not plugged in. I have restored it about 20 times doing the same method thinking the next time it will work..

I'm using a PC aka it says my stats across from my name.

and I have a 2G iphone

Well don't end up being stuck on recovery mode. I still do not know what your process....

Plug in iphone
    start blackra1n
    click "make it ra1n"
    phone reboots and shows apple logo, then itunes/usb cable AKA (recovery mode) which itunes will inform you on. after 5-10 seconds you should see GEOHOT picture. If not, your stuck and you need to do the process over.

contine....

unplug the usb cable from the iphone
    hold down the power/home button for 10 seconds
    turn on the iphone again
    it should take a minute to bring you back to your lock screen.

if you do anything else you might be stuck on recovery mode again.

Well don't end up being stuck on recovery mode. I still do not know what your process....

Plug in iphone
    start blackra1n
    click "make it ra1n"
    phone reboots and shows apple logo, then itunes/usb cable AKA (recovery mode) which itunes will inform you on. after 5-10 seconds you should see GEOHOT picture. If not, your stuck and you need to do the process over.

contine....

unplug the usb cable from the iphone
    hold down the power/home button for 10 seconds
    turn on the iphone again
    it should take a minute to bring you back to your lock screen.

if you do anything else you might be stuck on recovery mode again.
    how do you not know the process? I just told you! lol
    here i go again:

plug iphone in
    make it ra1n
    iphone reboots goes to dfu mode
    freezes at dfu mode
    reboot iphone
    boots to dfu mode
    make it rain
    nothing happens
    restore to 3.1.2
    make it rain
    iphone boots to dfu mode
    freezes at dfu mode
    on and on..

I've tried all other methods people have said here.. I guess i'll just have to wait for Dev Team to create a jailbreak

lol if that doesnt clear it up.. I dont know what to tell you
    Last edited by xskinnerx; 2009-10-16 at 09:53 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Side note testing with a test phone:

Took 2 tries to successfully install Blackra1n onto 3.1.2 3G 5.11.07.

Flushing the phone back to factory, took 17 tries back to back for a successful run.

Including those initial 2 mentioned above, my results are as follows:

(at the time of writing, currently stopped at 20)

Bottom line, act like you have bad dandruff, and just rinse and repeat.

Kudo's to Ace for the Sesame Street walkthrough, though. Looks like it helped quite a few people out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to vsellers For This Useful Post:

ace00 (2009-10-16)

how do you not know the process? I just told you! lol
    here i go again:

plug iphone in
    make it ra1n
    iphone reboots goes to dfu mode
    freezes at dfu mode
    reboot iphone
    boots to dfu mode
    make it rain
    nothing happens
    restore to 3.1.2
    make it rain
    iphone boots to dfu mode
    freezes at dfu mode
    on and on..

I've tried all other methods people have said here.. I guess i'll just have to wait for Dev Team to create a jailbreak

lol if that doesnt clear it up.. English must not be your primary language.

See..what you wrote up above is the COMPLETE step you took. not what you wrote before. FYI, It's really not smart to make fun of or criticize someone who is trying to help troubleshoot this.

ANYWAYS.....

RECOVERY & DFU is not the same thing.

is your iphone really in DFU or recovery? How do you know? Well if itunes tells you that your iphone is in recovery mode *AND* you iphone is showing the itunes/usb screen then you're in RECOVERY. If iphone shows a black screen and itunes still recognizes it, then you're in DFU. So what you booting into?

Wow, I picked up on this english thingy really fast! (sarcasm off)

well then both lol.

itunes recognizes it but its still frozen in the (itunes/usb mode)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to xskinnerx For This Useful Post:

Jayvly (2009-10-16)

Default It Works!!
    Ok, After getting completely frustrated and thinking that the only was out was to wait for the Dev Team (sorry Geo), I have succeeded!! Thank you. I just followed the instructions above, persisted and, I think this may be the solution to the problem, I TURNED OFF Windows Firewall. The nest time I tried it, it worked. This could be the problem that's affecting everyone.
    Anyway, Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Jayvly; 2009-10-16 at 10:25 PM.

I dont even have Windows firewall lol. I do have Avast antivirus do you think that would affect anything?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well the firewall/virus portion very well might help, as blackra1n will need to invade svchost.exe... That much is to be expected, though, and since everyone's rig is different, you'll just have to toy with it.

As for Avast specifically, I can neither confirm nor deny. But hey, you can spend 20 minutes disabling the AV and trying or 20 minutes researching. Both have the potential to answer questions you might have.

Now personally, any time I'm doing anything such as "hacking a phone", the first thing I do is isolate my PC... (take off the network and disable the FW). Why? How about why not?
    Last edited by vsellers; 2009-10-16 at 11:52 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't believe that I am saying this, but, you gotta have patience and be willing to just keep trying.. I must have tried 20 times with no success, last time I decided what the heck, I restored it again, ran blackrain and walla,,, it WORKED. Successful jailbreak on my 3gs with 3.1 out of the box...

Quote Originally Posted by John1177 View Post
    I can't believe that I am saying this, but, you gotta have patience and be willing to just keep trying.. I must have tried 20 times with no success, last time I decided what the heck, I restored it again, ran blackrain and walla,,, it WORKED. Successful jailbreak on my 3gs with 3.1 out of the box...

It's just that simple right!?!?!

Patience is the key.....when it comes to blackra1n on a MAC or PC

FYI, i used pwnage 3.1.4 and they said to disable ituneshelper and close itunes when JB and just to confirm "YES" that method works without any hiccups.