Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: what is the most stable way to jailbreak?

Default what is the most stable way to jailbreak?
    I have used redsnow, but it's been a hassle. everything works great, but in a week I've bricked/restored four times.

I hacked a couple of my friends iphones, and they haven't had any trouble yet. could it be my iphone?
    I thought it was cydia for the first couple times then last night I installed something that I'd installed at least twice in my previous jailbreaks with no problem. when I had to reset to enable it, all I got was the apple logo.

I'm not installing anything major, once it was just a simple lockscreen for winterboard.

am I doing something wrong/is there a better program to use other than redsnow?

Thanks

Thanks

I have had the least issues with Pwnage, although redsn0w for mac went well too.
    It's nit so much the jailbreak itself but what you do after. Theist important thing is to restore as a new iPhone
    Always run Cydia and do all the upgrades then install OpenSSH and SBSettings reboot. Then install Winterboard reboot. Install categories if you use it. Reboot. Then resync your iTunes stuff.

I was originally going to use quickpwn, had downloaded it a while before having the iphone so I could begin as soon as I came home with it, then I checked for an update on it, and ended up using redsnow.

I've went all day running official firmware, kinda afraid to jailbreak after it seems to be so unstable.

I might give pwnage a try, or check out some of the other options.

thanks for the tips. I had been trying to reboot more between cydia installations this previous attempt, but it didn't seem to solve everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brandonloves View Post
    I was originally going to use quickpwn, had downloaded it a while before having the iphone so I could begin as soon as I came home with it, then I checked for an update on it, and ended up using redsnow.

I've went all day running official firmware, kinda afraid to jailbreak after it seems to be so unstable.

I might give pwnage a try, or check out some of the other options.

thanks for the tips. I had been trying to reboot more between cydia installations this previous attempt, but it didn't seem to solve everything.
    One other thing - I always increase the root partition size in Pwnage to about 1000 kb - the exact size doesnt matter. Never install Installer or Icy or any programs from RIP. Ive only had conflicts and issues requiring restoring my phone when Ive tried any of them.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Purplera1n very stable for me

I just downloaded winpwn, but it doesn't seem to work for 3.0

as for Purplera1n, I don't have a 3Gs

but I really liked what I read/saw of winpwn, is there an updated version that I'm not seeing?

Thanks

I dont believe winpwn has worked since 2.0.2 or was it 2.1?

so pretty much, redsnow is the way to go?

I just don't understand why it seems to work so well for others and it bricks my iphone as soon as I get the basic things I need lol.
    could it be slight hardware differences?

I think I might try again using the new 0.8 redsnow.

even though it's probably only updated for 3gs...
    Last edited by brandonloves; 2009-07-19 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brandonloves View Post
    so pretty much, redsnow is the way to go?

I just don't understand why it seems to work so well for others and it bricks my iphone as soon as I get the basic things I need lol.
    could it be slight hardware differences?

I think I might try again using the new 0.8 redsnow.

even though it's probably only updated for 3gs...
    I havent tried redsn0w for windows yet - only teh Mac version so far. What you say sounds like you are having an issue with a program you are instaling after the jailbreak. Just because it worked with your previous jailbreaks doesnt mean it will still be compatible now on 3.0 .

Certain programs seem to cause problems in general. Icy often conflicts with Cydia. i would not install Icy if you have been. Any of the RIP Dev. programs can be problematic so i would refrain from installing any of those, at least until you can confirm that your phone runs ok. Warez cause problems as well so stay away from those.

Well that sounds pretty accurate. I can't remember if I installed icy the first time it crashed. I'll try it again w/out icy and see what happens.

Redsn0w for Mac works well. Download everything thru Firefox. Be sure to set up as New. Never install Icy or Installer(conflicts with Cydia updates) Be sure to Reboot after installs. Pwnage Tool on my iMac jailbreaks the iPhone but left it with no phone service. Remember a jailbroken iPhone is a work in progress, so be prepared to work at it regularly..i.e install Powertool and reboot reguarly, etc.