Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help me iPhone stuck cannot restore it

Default Help me iPhone stuck cannot restore it
    Hi all, I'm a new user

I've bought a used iPhone which is stuck in recovery mode (iTunes logo and data cable screen on iPhone). Previous owner said to me he tried to upgrade from 1.1.4 to latest firmware but it did not work.

Now I tell you what I've done. I used a Mac with OS X 10.4.11 and a PC with Vista Business 32bit. When you'll read Mac, I used my Mac, whe you'll read PC I used my PC.

1) I've tried to downgrade to 1.1.4 again, to 1.1.2 and to 1.0.2 but with iTunes 7.7.1 (MAC) I got unknown error (1600). I downgraded to iTunes 7.5 and 7.4 (both Mac and PC) but my iPhone stays on "Waiting for iPhone" with Apple logo and Apple cursor (I mean the tipical icon which rotates, I don't know its exact name) on my iPhone.
    2) I've also tried to disconnect from USB cable my iPhone after 15-20 mins like I've read on other sites, and tried again restoring it but it freezes on "Preparing iPhone" (I mean previous "Waiting for iPhone" stage on iTunes).
    3) I've tried to force it in Normal mode with ZiPhone (PC) but it didn't work.
    4) I've used iBrickr (PC) which gave me 2 options: Boot the phone and Downgrade to 1.0.2. The first one turns my iPhone screen green, and told me I've to use iTunes to restore iPhone; the second one put my iPhone with blank white screen, then told me using iTunes to restore but as I've already wrote above I had "Waiting for iPhone" problem.
    5) I've tried iPhuc but no solutions.
    6) I've tried iFuntastic, to force Recovery Mode exit, it downloaded 1.0.2 firmware, it did all the necessary but stays about 30sec on "Waiting for Normal mode" without success.
    7) I've tried to use iNdependence but all buttons are grey and status said "Disconnected: waiting for iPhone".
    8) I've followed this guide: iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.0.x 2G iPhone (Mac) [Updated] but it didn't ask to me for bootloaders and when I'll have to put my iPhone in DFU mode I cannot do that because my iPhone reboots itself in recovery mode before those 5/10 sec expired (I hope you understand what I've said).

Please help me I'm desperate and noob with iPhone. Sorry for my english mistakes, I'm Italian.

Green Apple
    Thanks

just hold the home and sleep right when it reboots right when the boot logo appears until the screen goes black and then let go of the sleep and hold onto the home button until itunes recognizes it

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

ok...DFU mode...latest itunes...regular restore upgrade to 2.0.2. Once done....then start pwning with WinPwn 2.5 beta.

or use pwnage tool (for mac) it is a little more stable. blog.iphone-dev.org to get the tools.

Quote Originally Posted by specialsyco View Post
    just hold the home and sleep right when it reboots right when the boot logo appears until the screen goes black and then let go of the sleep and hold onto the home button until itunes recognizes it
    I'm not sure I've understand well, but I'll try. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by SundayDuffer View Post
    ok...DFU mode...latest itunes...regular restore upgrade to 2.0.2. Once done....then start pwning with WinPwn 2.5 beta.
    This is what I've thought to do. I'm restoring iTunes 7.7.1 (11) on my Mac with Software Update, then I'll try. I've downloaded latest firmware, I have to do alt+Restore or I've let iTunes to download it automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by satch2501 View Post
    or use pwnage tool (for mac) it is a little more stable. blog.iphone-dev.org to get the tools.
    Please explain it to me well, I don't understand sorry. EDIT: maybe I understood: you suggested me pwnage tool instead of winpwn 2.5 beta right? If yes, very well: I'd like to do everything with my Mac.
    Last edited by nuttolo; 2008-09-07 at 07:57 PM.

I am in a similar situation, I have updated my unlocked 1.1.4 phone using itunes yesterday. Now the phone i slocked and it never goes in to DFU mode. I have tried every single option out there. Is there some thing new in the latest update from Apple?

Well I'm trying to follow SundayDuffer process, but I'm having difficulties in downloading official firmware with iTunes because I don't have DSL connection here at home (thank you Telecom Italia). Probably tomorrow (here is almost midnight) I'll pick my Dell laptop with Vista and I'll try with it, using a DSL connection of a friend of mine.

I will post for every update of my situation.

Sorry no way for this method. My iPhone is stuck in "Waiting for iPhone" stage.

Any suggestions?

up

I've downgraded to iTunes 7.5 on my Mac but getting unknown error (1604) with 1.1.4 firmware and unknown error (1603) with 2.0.2 firmware. I've tried all my USB ports. Any idea?
    Last edited by nuttolo; 2008-09-09 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

ok..youre on the right track.

Can you get on a PC...this is just for the custom firmware building only. If you can download winpwn 2.5 beta...runs it on a PC to create a custom firmware....it's a GUI interface..very easy to follow on screen. Once you have done creating the custom fw...save it on a flashdrive or whereever.

Now...on itunes...7.7 version is fine.....with the phone ON and plugged in...press power button and home button at the same time...til the screen goes blank and black....let go of the power button and continue pressing the home button down...til iTunes recognizes the phone....you then can let go of the home button....now on your MAC, press down Option key and click Restore on iTunes..pop up window will let you go choose your custom fw....go choose your custom firmware and let it runs.

If you get an error...try shut down the computer..reboot...and re run the process....Good Luck.

Thank you so much, I'll try but I've to download iTunes 7.7. Thank you I'll post when I'll done it.

ok..youre on the right track.

Can you get on a PC...this is just for the custom firmware building only. If you can download winpwn 2.5 beta...runs it on a PC to create a custom firmware....it's a GUI interface..very easy to follow on screen. Once you have done creating the custom fw...save it on a flashdrive or whereever.

Now...on itunes...7.7 version is fine.....with the phone ON and plugged in...press power button and home button at the same time...til the screen goes blank and black....let go of the power button and continue pressing the home button down...til iTunes recognizes the phone....you then can let go of the home button....now on your MAC, press down Option key and click Restore on iTunes..pop up window will let you go choose your custom fw....go choose your custom firmware and let it runs.

If you get an error...try shut down the computer..reboot...and re run the process....Good Luck.
    Nothing to do, even after 2 reboots. I got unknown error (1600) next Preparing iPhone for restore stage (which is not stuck, it is done and immediately I got that error). What can I do now?? I'm desperate, damn.
    Last edited by nuttolo; 2008-09-10 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

oh...forgot to mention..when building the custom firmware on winpwn 2.5, use the expert mode.

or...what you can also do is...DFU mode, restore to factory 2.0.2 firmware with itunes first..just so that you have 2.0.2 on there....then restore again with the custom firmware.

Restoring to factory 2.0.2 did not work, i get stucked in "Waiting for iPhone" stage.

Please check PM, you can reply to it or post here in this thread. Many many thanks

Thanks

sometimes you just have to reboot the computer itself..restart...and start the process all over again...well, except of the building the custom firmware part...once you built it and saved it...youre good to go. Or save the custom firmware file on a flashdrive and use a different computer to do the restore.

I'll try on my Dell laptop with Vista the "normal" restore, but I already know that It will not work. It's always stuck in that damned screen "Waiting for iPhone" or, at least, "Preparing iPhone to restore" and then unknown error (20), (1600), (1603) or (1604) randomly.

I'll take that guide for winpwn, and try to restore...I'll post for updates.

i've tried with winpwn done it following all guides and suggestions but get still stuck on waiting for iphone screen. I'm going crazy please help! The only new detail is winpwn can communicate with the phone because i get custom recovery logo when trying to restore.
    Last edited by nuttolo; 2008-09-10 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

put in DFU mode
    have ipod connected and on
    1 hold sleep home until screen goes black
    2 let go of sleep DON'T let got of home
    3 keep holding the home button until itunes reconizes the ipod
    the ipod is only in DFU when the screen is BLACK and itunes can reconize it

then restore to custom firmware made my pwnage tool

if you can't restore to custom firmware then try official firmware but be sure your in DFU

edit: DO NOT upgrade to itunes 8 if you did you need to uninstall it and delete and remaining file (the whole user/library/itunes folder) and reinstall itunes 7.7.1 or earlier
    Last edited by specialsyco; 2008-09-11 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

maybe you don't understand,i have itunes 7.7.1,i'm in dfu mode.it stays forever on 'waiting for iphone',at least on 'preparing iphone for restore'.need help,please!

Thanks

Be patient. When I downgraded my 2G back to 1.1.4 from 2.0, it took FOREVER on preparing for restore. I'm talking literally an hour or 2.

Someone correct me if I'm worng here, but I believe what it is doing is completely erasing the file system of your iPhone. If it is a similar function to the "erase all content and settings" that is accessible form the Settings menu in the iPhone, this is quite possible. I'm currently erasing all content and settings off of my 3G so I can do a nice clean restore before I decide if mine needs repair. i started it at least an hour ago and the progress bar still is only 2/3 complete. it must have taken at least 10 minutes to even appear in the first place.

I think we get used to our desktops and laptops that install and delete files quite rapidly. The iPhone processor is still an iPhone. It will be much slower.

no well, 'preparing iphone for restore' did not have any progress in the bar and after a few minutes i get 1601,1603 or 1604 error

Instead 'waiting for iphone' is stuck,it goes for hours with no results.i left it for a night but it did not work

Green Apple
    Thanks

try deleting the firmware you already downloaded an re-download it again from itunes and restore to regular firmware in dfu mode

thats what applecare people always tell you if you have a restore problem like this

I'll try do re-download it from iTunes...where is it saved? Both MAC and PC

Green Apple
    Thanks

mac user/library/itunes/ipod software updates

pc (this is kinda a guess but it'll be close) c:/user/program files/tunes/ipod software updates

if the pc one doesn't work just search for ipod and it'll show up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast