Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ibrickr how to?

Thanks

Question Ibrickr how to?
    Hi all. I want to install one of the themes here from the download section to summerboard on my iphone using ibrickr. I searched the guides and could not find a step by step how to on this process. Can someone post a link or better yet, can someone post a step by step how to on this? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Latino; 2007-11-08 at 05:56 PM.

There are several How To's on this, as well as several threads with people begging for guides. DO a little more searching and you'll find what you need.

Reako

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    There are several How To's on this, as well as several threads with people begging for guides. DO a little more searching and you'll find what you need.

Reako
    Well I searched the guides and there was nothing there on ibrickr. I looked in every section on this forum for a sticky on this and found nothing. I then used the search function at the top of the site and got nothing. So where else am I supposed to research?

If there is such a high demand for a guide on this or several how to threads on this, why would'nt it be listed with the guides or be stickied in the themes section?

That's because in several threads it has been discussed and explained. What kind of themes are you trying to transfer? Summerboard?

Reako

Looked in themes section for two seconds ran into this. :http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14771
    Last edited by Reako; 2007-11-08 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    That's because in several threads it has been discussed and explained. What kind of themes are you trying to transfer? Summerboard?

Reako

Looked in themes section for two seconds ran into this. :http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14771

Thanks for the link. I saw that thread but its not the way I want to go about installing a theme to summerboard. I want to use ibrickr only.

All I am asking for is the process to manually install a theme that is in the downloads section of this forum using ibrickr. All I have found everywhere is 'it has to be installed manually into summerboard'. Well are there folders that need to be created? Do I just upload the theme into the summerboard folder and then I will be able to install it through the installer app? This is the kind of walkthrough I am asking for that I cannot find.
    Last edited by Latino; 2007-11-08 at 07:23 PM.

1. jailbreakme.com (go here and install it from your iphone). a new icon will be on your iphone called installer. this app lets you install all kinds of other apps.

2. install SummerBoard from installer. (then you can install themes directly from your phone without having to go through any of the trouble listed below). go back into installer and you'll see a category for Themes (SummerBoard). Install away!

3. Now if you still want to move them from your computer to your iphone, see below.

4. install BSD subsystem (from list of apps available from Installer)

5. install OpenSSH. once installed and having access to your wifi get your iphones IP address from Settings->Wifi->click the arrow next to the wifi network you are connected to. you'll then see your IP address.

6. SSH into your phone. ssh -l root 10.x.x.x (use your ip address). if using a mac just use the Terminal app to ssh. if windows, i don't know find a terminal type app to command line to use ssh.

7. Use password "dottie" or "alpine" when asked after ssh'ing into your phone.

8. get a SFTP program to transfer files to your iphone from your computer. server will be your IP address of your iphone, user = root, password = dottie or alpine.

9. Summerboard themes are in Library/SummerBoard/Themes/ , this is the directory you'll place your themes. each theme should have it's own folder.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    1. jailbreakme.com (go here and install it from your iphone). a new icon will be on your iphone called installer. this app lets you install all kinds of other apps.

2. install SummerBoard from installer. (then you can install themes directly from your phone without having to go through any of the trouble listed below). go back into installer and you'll see a category for Themes (SummerBoard). Install away!

3. Now if you still want to move them from your computer to your iphone, see below.

4. install BSD subsystem (from list of apps available from Installer)

5. install OpenSSH. once installed and having access to your wifi get your iphones IP address from Settings->Wifi->click the arrow next to the wifi network you are connected to. you'll then see your IP address.

6. SSH into your phone. ssh -l root 10.x.x.x (use your ip address). if using a mac just use the Terminal app to ssh. if windows, i don't know find a terminal type app to command line to use ssh.

7. Use password "dottie" or "alpine" when asked after ssh'ing into your phone.

8. get a SFTP program to transfer files to your iphone from your computer. server will be your IP address of your iphone, user = root, password = dottie or alpine.

9. Summerboard themes are in Library/SummerBoard/Themes/ , this is the directory you'll place your themes. each theme should have it's own folder.
    Thank you. I saw that walkthrough as well. But again, that is not the route I want to use. Others have said that you can use ibrickr ONLY to install themes. Is that not correct? I would like to use ibrickr ONLY.

Well, if you need to have pictures illustrate how to install a theme, then you may need to step away from the phone for a bit, and hit the books. iBrickr is not the latest and greatest program for windows. It's a ton easier in iPhonebrowser 1.4, or via WinSCP + OpenSSH.

In iBrickr, you'll have to navigate to private/var/root/Lirbrary/Summerboard/Themes. Then, you create a folder with the name of the theme you're uploading. Example, if I load the Kanji theme, make a folder in the Themes folder named Kanji. Then, on your desktop, import all the files in the Kanji folder, to the folder in iBrickr. If there is a folder in the Kanji folder named icons, then in the Kanji folder on the iPhone, create a folder called icons. Go into it, and then add the files in the folder on your desktop, to that folder. Restart Summerboard.

OR .. open iphonebrowser 1.4, navigate to private/var/root/Library/Summerboard/Themes .. click on Themes, and then just drag the damn Kanji folder into the big open white area. 1,2,3, you're done, lol.

If you want the extra hassle of iBrickr, go for it.

iPhoneBrowser is the easiest said solution to transfer. Just make sure you know the directories of where things are stored.

Reako

Indeed. Plus, I've found when I can't delete added folders and stuff in iBrickr (could just be me), I could only delete in either WinSCP or iPhoneBrowser. iBrickr is a nice and handy little app, but for those who don't need a picture of an iPhone to navigate their phone, iPhoneBrowser definitely beats it .. and WinSCP beats all! At least for windows. Or Manzana.